Midnight 2x

vaustein

I've "DosBox-ified" the Mike Singleton classics "Lords of Midnight" and "Doomdark's Revenge". The D-pad correctly maps to compass directions and the various commands are laid out in a logical fashion. The included readme.txt further explains how everything works. Here's a title screen pic:

lom_s.PNG

Available here: Midnight 2x

Nice job on getting this running but the keys are always going to be a bit of a handful, what with there being so many. Have you seen the GBA port by Quirky? It plays really well on GPSP2x.

Thank you very much vaustein !

My favorite games of all time ! (I play quirky's GBA versions a lot) I have just ordered my GP2x this week and am expecting it on Tuesday (this makes it all the more sweeter !).

I was really hoping the GBA version would work on the GBA emulater (thanks for the info WhizzBang !), but having a stand alone version is even better !

just a couple of questions (well 3 really) ....

Do you intend to update the games in any way or do they work perfect ?
Are save states supported ?
Quirky's controls are very good would this be possible to update ?

This is great news, thank you ! (and a great 1st posting on these forms !)

oh, one more question and I have no knowledge of programming, but are dos games easy to convert ? would Ultima 4 be possible ?

icurafu said:
It's very addictive (and difficult).
I thought this too for years until I discovered that there is actually a fairly simple strategy that will win the game for you. I won't post it here though.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ "Quirky's version is better" posters: Yes, Quirky's GBA version supports view rotation (i.e. pressing Right moves the view 45 degrees clockwise rather than shifting to East) and menu selection by pressing Up and Down. However, since all the code is baked into the GBA ROM itself, there's one missing feature. From my readme.txt:
Additional Info:
==========
Extend the longevity of these games with the very cool random
scenario generators and overland map viewers at this site:
Lair of the Dragonlord ( http://www.tcwonline.org/~intruderzg/ )

This is the primary reason that I DosBox-ified LOM: you can play many different maps in addition to the default scenario. If Quirky's version can do that, then I would suggest ignoring the MS-DOS version all together in favor of Quirky's version.

@WhizzBang: My simple strategy is to bring all troops to a mountain-flanked citadel east of the starting point (Citadel of Xajorkith?). Doomdark throws all his troops at it - divided, however, into small and very defeat-able task forces. Try that strategy with a random map and tell us how it goes ;)

I enjoy Mike Singleton's shameless emulation of the Lord of the Rings. Sauron = Doomdark, Eye of Sauron = Ice Crown, Frodo = Morkin, Aragorn = Luxor, Gandalf = Rothron, Barad-Dur = Ushgarak. I sort of wish Doomdark's war took place somewhere more tropical, though. The wintery environs spared Singleton the trouble of painting lots of colorful flora onto a low-res Sinclair Spectrum display.

I've played both versions so many times I can complete them with my eyes closed (both by the quests and battles).

I will definatley be trying this out.

Thanks again !

Back