Minigolf Game - Devlog

traylorpark

Very Active Member
So, it was not too long ago when I teamed up with fellow forum member kurtkz to make a game that would, in part, show off his excellent 3D engine. We considered a couple different types of games to make and ultimately decided to make a mini-golf game, but added a twist to the gameplay. Normally, the goal of golf is to get the ball into the hole directly, in as few hits as possible. In this case, along the way to the hole there are a couple "targets" the player can bounce the ball off of.

The minigolf game suddenly gains some puzzle elements as the player tries to hit all the targets and then finally sink the ball in the fewest hits possible, perhaps even in a "hole-in-one".

I also took the opportunity to try out some new aesthetic ideas I had been stewing over. I currently live in Japan, about an hour outside of Tokyo where the rice fields meet suburbia. It's a location that I have been dying to explore artistically for quite some time now. So I did some color theory tests with patterns and different style of skies ... and decided that a combination of desaturated colors and brilliant origami paper textures could really create an interesting visual experience.

colortheorize.jpg

With these ideas I went on to make a concept level. Kurt has also been able to use this concept level to test out his game engine on a Wiz. I would do a revision, he would update his code and then we would discuss ideas on how to optimize the level in order to achieve the highest possible framerate.

shot1.png

shot2.png

shot3.png

In addition to exploring artistic styles and building the engine, this test level has also forced us to create a pipeline from Blender to Kurt's engine. It's sometime's a bit of a trial and error process.

overhead.jpg

I've made this thread to share the art process when making a game for the Wiz/Caanoo. It will function as my art devlog for this project. This is kind of a broad introduction, so I'll be very happy to field more specific questions about the game, design, art assets, pipeline and anything that I have to deal with on my end. Engine specific questions should head towards Kurt and his thread :) Since it's his engine and all.

I'll post again soon, describing some of the gameplay elements you can see here, such as how the reward system might work and whatevs.

+peter

cicada.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. :eek: Really impressive. Extremely excellent graphic style. Can't wait to see it in motion. Thanks for sharing...

I'm loving the origami style graphics, this'll definitely take good advantage of the 3D gpu and the increased ram that'll allow for better textures. :)

What kind of polygon count are we looking at here?

Hey thanks guys! To have my style compared to Okami's style, well, that pretty much made my week. :lol:
Polygon count is sitting around 3500 - 4000 tris in the entire scene. Kurt assures me his engine can do more.

I tell ya, Kurt has the ability to light the GP32X scene on fire with his engine!

Ha, you're too kind Peter :) The engine is still a WIP, but it's really your graphics that will showcase the abilities of the Wiz/Caanoo. I think devs have been putting off 3D development for too long and your graphics might just make people realise what these machines can do :)

Really, really beautiful, guys. I can't wait to play this and experience it first-hand ..

Are you going to try to get this engine working on Wiz/Pandora/Caanoo, or is it mostly a Wiz-only project for now? I'm really sure that this will be one of the showcase apps for what homebrew 3D game developers can do, its simply luscious!

@torpor: The engine is targeted for Wiz/Caanoo - I don't have a Pandora and don't think I'll ever buy one (too expensive). I hope that this game will showcase what devs and artists can do with this little machine. And I agree, the art is luscious :)

@torpor: I'll keep that in mind once the engine is complete :) Having said that, let's keep this thread on on topic. We can discuss porting and such in the engine thread.

I'm with Kurt, despite really wanting a Pandora, it's out of my price zone at the moment. If and when I am in the price zone, I'll take a look at getting one, but I'll probably have to wait in a queue as well. Maybe someday, I'll do something for the Pandora ... lord knows I want to :rolleyes:

Quick update!

When players knock the ball of targets, we need a couple different ways to reward the player for the effort. One way is visually. Each "target" is also marked with a chirping(maybe?) cicada. When the ball kits the target, the cicada's wings pop open flashing brilliant origami paper patterns and colors. I hope that the strong contrast between this and the mostly desaturated colors of the rest of the level give the play a bit of visual reward for trying to hit the target with the ball.

Note, the ambient occlusion shading has been baked to the texture itself. This also really helps make the cicada stand out from the surroundings.

orangecicada.jpg

Click this image of the green cicada to see the animation.
greencicada.jpg
*note, if you can't play the video, it might still be converting ... sorry ... <_<

traylorpark said:
Note, the ambient occlusion shading has been baked to the texture itself. This also really helps make the cicada stand out from the surroundings.
Definitely looks amazing, too.

I'm totally looking forward to seeing how this project turns out - Even if I don't still have a wiz. I plan to get a pandora someday, but when that day comes it'll be TwoMonths[sup]TM[/sup] before I can actually use it.

@b1ueskycomp1ex: It is currently being developed on a Wiz, but both Peter and myself will be buying Caanoo's fairly soon. Once I have a Caanoo I'll port the game engine (should just be a matter of recompiling).

kurtkz said:
@b1ueskycomp1ex: It is currently being developed on a Wiz, but both Peter and myself will be buying Caanoo's fairly soon. Once I have a Caanoo I'll port the game engine (should just be a matter of recompiling).

To my knowledge GINGE should be able to run Wiz applications on the pandora (and possibly the caanoo) It would be interesting to see this minigolf game happen on the caanoo, because then maybe a neat mini-mode where you balance the ball using the G sensor could happen, or maybe some way to use the caanoo as a putter ;P Anyway, just a thought. Keep up the great work!

@b1ueskycomp1ex: I completely forgot about GINGE. I'd be interested in finding out what the performance is like :) As for the G-sensor...that's a definite possibility ;) It all depends on how soon we get our Caanoos.

Back