Minimal Angstrom Image?

transmition

Still Fresh
Could we have a minimal Angstrom image that would only come with the Pandora's drivers and main programs? This way we could tailor it just to our needs, installing window managers and programs ourselves, without having to purge these from the main install?

Also, would we be able to write this image to the NAND?

The Angstrom distro itself will already be very minimal. Unless you're wanting to switch from Xfce to another WM, I don't see what you could gain from it.

Regardless, the git is open at git.openpandora.org, so you could build it yourself.

Transmition said:
installing window managers and programs ourselves, without having to purge these from the main install?
Gary13579 said:
Unless you're wanting to switch from Xfce to another WM, I don't see what you could gain from it.
Gee, I think maybe he is.
You can install a PNG of a goat to the NAND for all the Pandora cares. If you can make a bootable Angstrom with your own WM, it will boot it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm just one of those people who believes 'who wouldn't want to use Xfce on the Pandora?'.

me too. but what else to do if that is the best choice ? I explain : i want to use gnome but i am afraid of losing performance ,the issue is, is pandora able to run gnome without lag?

Well, on the GIT, you can easily get the kernel, the OS setup, etc. with all drivers.
So anybody who wants can do a minimal Angström, yes :)

lilington said:
me too. but what else to do if that is the best choice ? I explain : i want to use gnome but i am afraid of losing performance ,the issue is, is pandora able to run gnome without lag?

It will run without much lag, but if you throw mp3 playing, web browser, and pidgin on top of it... it will cry. It takes considerably more cpu/mem than Xfce, so you're better off with Xfce and finding a decent theme.

Gary13579 said:
I guess I'm just one of those people who believes 'who wouldn't want to use Xfce on the Pandora?'.
I'm using XFCE right now, but on the Pandora I'd rather use ion or something similar.

I plan on running a very minimal Openbox install. I think the only XFce thing I might retain is the network manager. After that, I plan on replacing the file manager, panels, virtually all of XFce.

How do we write to the NAND? Would it just be over USB?
Thank you for informing me about the GIT EvilDragon :)

Transmition said:
I plan on running a very minimal Openbox install. I think the only XFce thing I might retain is the network manager. After that, I plan on replacing the file manager, panels, virtually all of XFce.

How do we write to the NAND? Would it just be over USB?
Thank you for informing me about the GIT EvilDragon :)
I don't know if it's available over USB, but it will be simple to boot from an SD card and use that to install anything you like to the NAND. It's just like booting a desktop from a CD.

yes i also think so. using xfce will be my choise and i should find better theme as the default one is so ugly.

I've once ran KDE 3.2 on Pentium MMX (233 MHz) with 160 MB of RAM (This was the early version of KDE 3, before the huge speed boost), but it was actually pretty usable, and in fact, significantly faster than Windows XP. Just sayin'...

ok call it as you want theme or whatever :)
i tried xfce only once but I did not like its designe. well my first time i used gnome (4 years ago) i got the same feeling (now I am gnome addict) but i never found anything pretty on xfce even though i think it is very nice to use (but ugly to see)

lilington said:
ok call it as you want theme or whatever :)
i tried xfce only once but I did not like its designe. well my first time i used gnome (4 years ago) i got the same feeling (now I am gnome addict) but i never found anything pretty on xfce even though i think it is very nice to use (but ugly to see)

None of the standard themes on Xfce are that good. I had to search until I found a nice one. But once I did, it was great. Anyways, you should worry more about utility than how "pretty" a DE is. Because if you want something shiny and pretty, then the answer is always KDE.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
None of the standard themes on Xfce are that good. I had to search until I found a nice one. But once I did, it was great. Anyways, you should worry more about utility than how "pretty" a DE is. Because if you want something shiny and pretty, then the answer is always KDE.

-God Ginrai

I already believe utility will be ok so i worry about how that will be pretty , nice for eyes.

and what are you talking about? please don't make that discussion move to troll.
<switching mad and troll mode> {---> KDE pretty? sorry but i think it is just a "bordel" french word means without organisation, easy to lose yourself there, and more important KDE make me think about an operating system name begining by W . and a customized gnome is shiny and pretty. the anwser is gnome <-------} <back from mad and troll mode>

lilington said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

I already believe utility will be ok so i worry about how that will be pretty , nice for eyes.

and what are you talking about? please don't make that discussion move to troll.
<switching mad and troll mode> {---> KDE pretty? sorry but i think it is just a "bordel" french word means without organisation, easy to lose yourself there, and more important KDE make me think about an operating system name begining by W from. and a customized gnome is shiny and pretty. the anwser is gnome <-------} <back from mad and troll mode>

I have no intention of starting a Gnome-KDE war with you, seeing as how I prefer Xfce. But I will say that you are greatly mistaken about KDE. Any further conversation you wish to argue about should continue through PM, if you feel it necessary.

-God Ginrai

Dutch_Cap said:
I'm using XFCE right now, but on the Pandora I'd rather use ion or something similar.
Wow, reminds me of the good old days when a Red Hat Linux install just came with basic X and needed to downloaded/install Gnome.

To sum -- you can boot a firmware (roll your own or official :) from SD, and you can write ovefr your NAND with whatever you want; it will be documented when someone gets a moment. Certainly there are already numerous groups workign on alternative firmwares (like the Gentoo guys :)

jeff

Back