Mknod Command, Working On Wifi

Zeladin

background said:
Okay I've been working on this for a few days now. I've got all the usb stuff going, I just need to get the software side of things working. I have a precompiled module for arm for the zd1211 chipset and both the wifi tools from Emu&Co's thread ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=28012&hl= ) and Artaylor site. I have tried a number of things but can't seem to get past the 'ifconfig (device) up' line. It says the device doesn't exist. I'm assuming for this module the device is wlan0 as Emu&Co has. I've also tried rausb0 in a number of possible permutations.

If anyone has got something working it would be nice if they could do a lovely little tutorial on the wiki.

Is there a way to get wifi on qtopia/ is it different?

My current set up is this, I haven't bothered putting in the other settings yet;

CODE
#!/bin/sh
(
#printf "\033[30mBlack \033[31m- Red \033[32m- Green \033[33m- "
#printf "Yellow \033[34m- Blue \033[35m- Magenta \033[36m- "
#printf "Cyan \033[37m- White \033[30m\n"
#printf "\033[40;37mBlack\033[30m\033[49m - \033[41mRed\033[49m - "
#printf "\033[42mGreen\033[49m - \033[43mYellow"
#printf "\033[49m - \033[44mBlue\033[49m - \033[45mMagenta\033[49m - "
#printf "\033[46mCyan\033[49m - \033[47mWhite\033[39;49m\n"
#printf "\033[0;39;49m"
printf "\033[31m WiFi Setup Utility\n\n\033[32m"
modprobe -v zd1211.o
sleep 5
#Name of the driver can be different
ifconfig wlan0 up
sleep 5
#Name of the WLAN Stick can be, depending upon driver, different too.
./iwconfig wlan0 ESSID BCWAN1
sleep 3
#The ESSID can be selected as you wish. (Should be identical to the PC Settings)
./iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc
sleep 3
#Leave it on Ad Hoc on GP2X and PC
./iwconfig wlan0 rate auto
#Same here, don't change
./iwconfig wlan0 channel 1
sleep1
#The Channel can be selected as you wish. (Should be identical to the PC Settings)
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.0
sleep 1
#IP should begin with 192.168.1 on the GP2X AND PC. Subnetmask should not be changed.
) 2>&1 | ./gp2xole

cd /usr/gp2x; exec ./gp2xmenu

I've used taylor's 'Gui' so that I can see what's happening... which is in short, very little. I have put the files in the root of the Sd as EMu&CO sort of in a vague way, suggests.
I switched to using telnet, to test this, discovering it was not simple...

Yeah so the module has been finicky about installing. And wlan0 or any other device did not appear in /dev. So I decided to try using mkmod. But I don't know the magic numbers. It does make it happy to register the module now though. I just gave it a few randomish numbers, so it was "mkmod /dev/wlan0 c 41 0". It's still invisible in Filezilla ftp, and shows up purple in telnet. I guess its semi hidden, anyway I was wondering A. Am I on the right track, and B. does anyone happen to know the magic numbers for a usb wifi device, or the way to look at them in another linux distro (like ubuntu which has tons of devices 'preinstalled').

If I talking wako - please show me the light... :) When I'm done I hope to at least put this together in a sensible walkthrough/executable. Also I get to move on to trying to get bluetooth working (which I know will involve scary cross-compiling stuff :blink: ). I have a theory bluetooth can be low power enough to work without a psu..

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you're talking wako :p

the network devices are not ordinary devices found on /dev/ directory, you'll find no /dev/eth0 or /dev/lo in any linux distribution, so it's the same for wlan0 and etc... just by loading the right module (a lot of modules loads OK without the hardware but then does nothing but waste kernel memory), there's a program called "iwconfig" that let you handle some wireless options, but the best from this program is that it lists all disponible network interfaces, even the ones who were shutdown, so if you have the correct hardware and driver it must appear in iwconfig output

Lint posted on Feb 8 2007 at 06:48 AM said:
yes, you're talking wako :p
Thanks, yeah, I was certain I had the right Hardware, but the way Belkin and Dlink go about, you can practically get anything in the same box with the same model number. So basically, instead of going off trying to find the right stick, I'm going to see about compiling the zd1211b driver and maybe the rt73 driver. Which will give us a total of four major chipsets supported - maybe.

Also I discover there are lots of corrupt bits on my Nand, so that was why the module didn't always install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back