Moar Vids! Mplayer (Video), Kronos (Text Advent), Battlejewels (Ac

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Some real world demos, so you can see that we're starting to pad out some apps a little and things are working well; the desc is pasted here from youtube. No overclock, pure defaults, shaky cam from my crappy cam :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn85SfjnEzA

Some real-world stuff here :) When EvilDragon posted some status updates, some folks loved it, some did not -- its a new device, a niche target, for hackers and joe public alike. Some features are rough around the edges, but most of the device works great. Still, thought I'd show a few real world scenarios - run a couple games and apps.

Things are starting to pad out a little, even though general devs don't have devices yet; we've got Picodrive for Genesis emulation, Hatari for Atari ST, UAE for Amiga, MAME, Vice for Commodore 64, and a really groovy port of DosBox with full touchscreen mouse emulation, for instance. We've got Abiword built in, along with some little utils -- djwillis crammed quite a bit into that firmware space! Some ports are coming along .. Quake 1, 2, 3 -- with Quake 3 running at like 20-30fps so far! GemRB, Descent..

Anyway, here's just a few things I thought I'd show off -- video, my new Kronos interp, and BattleJewels. If you want to see Quake 3 or something, let me know..

Video playing is one of those things we all just want, day-zero; we don't have hardware supported decode yet, so are relying on pure software decoding. This can be troublesome for some video playing software, but others handle things much better. It will struggle _right now_ with software decoded full high def .... but watch the video, and you'll see full speed no framedrop playing of a standard def ripped right from my DVDs. So its not all bleak like some people think -- I can watch my med-quality DVD rips of Firefly no problem! Want to watch animated stuff.. no problem! ITs hyour high def rips that are a problem right now, and we'll get hardware decode sorted out eventually.

I then pop into my new Kronos application, which is a player for interactive fiction games (Magnetic Scrolls, ZMachine/Infocom style, Scott Adams, and possible others.) We'll also port over TADS and others standalone I'm sure. But for now, let me just fire up a couple moments of The Guild of Thieves, a classy game I've been meaning to work on for oh, 15 years or so :)

Further, I run the pnd-file version of my BattleJewels game.. a rather cross between head to head action RPG and puzzle games -- cast spells, chop down your opponent, buy some gear and level up! pnd-files are working great .. just double-click to run, pick them from the menu, or run them from your own organized directories using the file browser.

Lastly I show the pnd-file auto-discovery as the SD is ejected/inserted -- no work installation of the games.

Bear in mind - no overclock here, this is 500mhz default!
Also bear in mind it is hard to tap on a screen or fiddle with buttons, while your other hand is holding a tiny camera :)

Thanks very much, skeezix. :D

Video playback looks great, I must say. I've got zero interest in HD stuff myself, so this'll suit my DVD rips just fine. I ripped them all as ISOs, though (not particularly space-efficient, but a whole lot less tedious than the alternative options). Just wondering: Have we got VLC, by any chance? :D

BattleJewels looks like great fun - can't wait to play it.

Love the video Jeff, The interactive fiction has just whet my appetite, Lovely. :D

The PND auto discovery looks great, Reminds me of the way the Amiga and the ST used to work when
playing games and running apps, None of this double click to install, Next, Next, Next etc ad nauseam.

Look like a great system, Well thought out and very easy to use.

Thanks a lot Jeff. :)

Trooper

skeezix said:

Is this a typo or did you purposefully downclock by 100 MHz? By which I mean: Were you actually running at the default clock speed (600 MHz) and typing 5 was just a typo, or were you indeed running at 500 MHz (underclocked) and calling that the default was the typo?

...there's a typo somewhere, I just don't know which one :unsure: :D <_<

Awesome video, someone needs to mail you a mini-tripod... maybe some web site would if you bribe them :D

Last edited by a moderator:
mitosis said:
skeezix said:

Is this a typo or did you purposefully downclock by 100 MHz? By which I mean: Were you actually running at the default clock speed (600 MHz) and typing 5 was just a typo, or were you indeed running at 500 MHz (underclocked) and calling that the default was the typo?

Awesome video, someone needs to mail you a mini-tripod... maybe some web site would if you bribe them :D

The chips are rated at 600 MHz, but 500 is the default that it runs at.

mitosis said:
skeezix said:

Given that the "default" clock is trivial to modify, and given that (apparently) no official "default" clock speed has been determined, I don't know that anything can be said about this right at the moment.

Edit: I suspect that the default clock will be 500 MHz, with a "supported" overclock to 600 MHz. I have no idea if this is the case, but this is what I'd do if I were OP. :p

trooper said:
The PND auto discovery looks great, Reminds me of the way the Amiga and the ST used to work when
playing games and running apps, None of this double click to install, Next, Next, Next etc ad nauseam.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been thinking this. :D

Thanx Skeezix :D

I'm loving it :p

Cant wait to get my hands on my :pandora2ut4:

My poor fella will be second best when it arrives :lol: but then so will I as he will be playing on his :pandora2ut4: :lol:

Video was awesome, thanks Jeff! Would love to see some Quake 3, and whatever else, but only once you have free time :) Battle Jewels looks amazing. One thing I noticed, when you used your app, was how fast the directory trees loaded. It was like the next directory had loaded the instant you hit the second click. I don't know if I've ever seen directories load that fast before, is that just me being weird or have you noticed this too? Anyway, one of the things I was worrying about was load / seek times on the SD and I'm pretty confident I don't need to worry about this anymore :)

Since you brought up the stock clocks and software decoding, does overclocking help with the HD video as a work-around? Could someone push it up to 650-700MHz and expect it to put out smooth 720p through the TV-Out?
I know there's probably a lot of people who'd like to see some Infinity engine games running on GemRB. Jon Stokes at Ars has a trilogy up about using a Samsung Q1 for exactly these games, and that hardware costs about three to four times more than a Pandora.
Just tried BattleJewels, and I'll definitely be looking forward to playing it on the Pandora. :)

We've already seen videos of... videos being played via double click in ED's videos, haven't we?

I'm also curious about whether we can play ISO DVD rips. It would be like having a mini DVD player until you get HD videos working. Also wondering; We've got a Genesis/MD emulator (wouldnt mind seeing a little Sonic CD :p ) but has anyone has cobbled together a TG16 emulator yet.

Alpha2 said:
We've already seen videos of... videos being played via double click in ED's videos, haven't we?

I'm also curious about whether we can play ISO DVD rips. It would be like having a mini DVD player until you get HD videos working. Also wondering; We've got a Genesis/MD emulator (wouldnt mind seeing a little Sonic CD :p ) but has anyone has cobbled together a TG16 emulator yet.

So far mplayer can play everything I have ever seen.
You can start it with mplayer xxx.iso and it plays the vid from the iso. You can even play a zip-file if it contains a video (didn't tested it!).
When it comes to codecs I THINK they use codex from windows. Those won't work on the ARM-Pandora. This info is years old, maybe they have coded their own codecs by now.

Nice video, thanks :)
You asked for suggestions, so here is mine:
A Midori web surfing demo would be awesome(should work via USB lan, I think) :)

Opening a video by doubleclick with mplayer is just a matter of telling the system to do so. ;)
Maybe the amazing smplayer gui will be ported.

Back