"monaco Gp2x", 2d Racer Inspired By Sega's Monaco Gp

twojame

Website
my-cognatus.co.uk
Hello there,

Thought i'd let you all know that i've just launched my 2d racing game "Monaco GP2x"... It's now fully playable at version v.0.8.x...

photoGP2xf200.jpg

demo29.gif

demo10.gif

Many thanks to everyone who's helped me get to this stage. Enjoy... :D

download

Jamie

This looks great. I remember it being mentioned by Shane on retrogaming radio and have been meaning to try it.

imhotep said:
This looks great. I remember it being mentioned by Shane on retrogaming radio and have been meaning to try it.
Many thanks... It's my humble little video game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good, kinda reminds me of LED storm. I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

[edit]
well, I tried it - It's REALLY good! The scrolling and the way the cars move is so smooth! I was playing on a Gp2x f100 through speakers so I didn't really get to hear the sound properly but the movement of cars etc is great.

Couple of suggestions:
- background graphics could use a bit of work
- difficulty is a bit tough. I wasn't able to get to a checkpoint even after three goes. I think it would be better to start easier and build up the difficulty more gradually.
- add some brief instructions about which buttons to press on the title screen. In particular, the message about the game being ready is a bit too subtle, A massive "Press X to Start!" would be better

Overall, cool game though - a solid foundation to build on. nice one!

the good:

Looks great, I like the sounds, plays good and smooth, scrolling is superb.

the bad:

Highscore?

Time is ok, but how much track needs to be finished?

Overall a nice game, but needs some polish to become great. :)

b_o_b said:
the good:

Looks great, I like the sounds, plays good and smooth, scrolling is superb.

the bad:

Highscore?

Time is ok, but how much track needs to be finished?

Overall a nice game, but needs some polish to become great. :)
Many thanks for your constructive comments they are very much appreciated... :)

I just happen to have a spec in my notepad for a themed level structure and a saved highscore (to sd card with name) and I may take it down that route. I think I need a rest first :D ... The game objective is to beat your own score within the time allowed. I seem to grab about 2100 points. Damn i'm risking getting beat at my own game here...

Regarding the sounds try connecting your gp2x to an amplifier and turn up the bass for the rumble effect, even better then :D

J

twojame said:
Regarding the sounds try connecting your gp2x to an amplifier and turn up the bass for the rumble effect, even better then
I have sometimes played gp2x games in my car through the stereo (cheap aux to tape convertor) and it's well impressive.. Not when driving(!) though.
Worth trying for all games - gets very immersive (especially my game; which is an acoustic feast)

Heh, just had a quick blast on this and it's pretty impressive:

Nice and fast - I seem to hit other cars repeatedly and it knocks you back too much I feel - but that's your decision.
AI cars don't get affected the same way..
Collision detection could be a few pixels more forgiving - maybe make your car 'hitbox' slightly smaller??
Too many files to copy onto the SD.. maybe a gp2x specific download .. with just the files required?
An AI car appeared to go off the bridge too far and still carry on.
And (as with most of us) the graphics could do with some work ;)

Well done on releasing! :) Fun in the limited time I have to play it.

kevcal said:
twojame said:
Regarding the sounds try connecting your gp2x to an amplifier and turn up the bass for the rumble effect, even better then
I have sometimes played gp2x games in my car through the stereo (cheap aux to tape convertor) and it's well impressive.. Not when driving(!) though.
Worth trying for all games - gets very immersive (especially my game; which is an acoustic feast)

Heh, just had a quick blast on this and it's pretty impressive:

Nice and fast - I seem to hit other cars repeatedly and it knocks you back too much I feel - but that's your decision.
AI cars don't get affected the same way..
Collision detection could be a few pixels more forgiving - maybe make your car 'hitbox' slightly smaller??
Too many files to copy onto the SD.. maybe a gp2x specific download .. with just the files required?
An AI car appeared to go off the bridge too far and still carry on.
And (as with most of us) the graphics could do with some work ;)

Well done on releasing! :) Fun in the limited time I have to play it.
Hi there,

thanks for trying it out. some very interesting points here and i'll certainly consider them as the game moves to version 1.

I was also thinking of splitting the sdl dll's out of the gp2x download. Just so people know they don't have to copy them to sd.... (also saves my bandwidth)

There is abit of a technique to playing this really well :) ... Try using left/right on the dpad as normal, but use X,B for gas/brake. This means you can creep up behind the ai then gas it to get past them :D ... So progressive gas to hover behind the ai on thin roads...

I'm interested to know what score poeple are getting? I can average 2150 on a good day. My bro just got 1950.....

Damn this game development is hard work... I think I need a lie down now... :lol:

J

Fun game, thanks..

I would like my actions to affect the high score a bit more, I always end up with that same amount, around 2200 points, no matter what I do, usually!

I like games like this, reminds me of my childhood w/ Spy Hunter on Nintendo

some cool feedback here guys. I'm doing some mod's as I type, Thanks...

edit 1: ey! you guys can't beat me at my own game

edit 2: do give me a shout when it comes to testing your games and i'll give you a hand. bolluc* me if you have to otherwise i'll forget. Sometimes I'm very busy...

tmb_ayebe said:
Man I am teh suxxor! My best score so far is 1962. Not very impressive eh? :p
Ey not bad chap :lol:

I've just put up a new version with some of the adjustments mentioned above.

Random AI car placement and new gameplay mode. -100 points for each enemy car hit..., and a load of minor UI tweaks. Press X to start etc.... mentioned above.

v0.8.3

Maybe I shouldn't have suggested random AI placement, its definitely harder now. score around 1600. Another suggestion this time to make it easier: How about for minor collisions like barely touching the side of cars, which is hard not to do in tight passages, you get affected less than normal full on collisions.

jbrodack said:
Maybe I shouldn't have suggested random AI placement, its definitely harder now. score around 1600. Another suggestion this time to make it easier: How about for minor collisions like barely touching the side of cars, which is hard not to do in tight passages, you get affected less than normal full on collisions.
no worries... It's a good suggestion. I would get bored before simply going left/right each time. Hardly decent AI. Lots of time to tweak before version 1. Also now each new ai driver can be a slow guy, medium or fast. So abit more to think about.

I've fixed the scoring now aswell (it was big time broke before)... Before what would happen is you could sit at the side of the road and still get the same amount of points... The 'points increment' was tied to the gameloop and not the virtual miles covered by the car... opps. So now I grant 2 points for a 40 pixel ( 1 tile ) covered by the car with -100 for each crash. The level that I ship with the game has around 1050 vertical tiles so that would be around 2100 points if you could race through them all in 45 seconds with no crashes at maximum speed.

I've allowed the car to go offroad including the bridges by half a car width, the car will then shake abit like spy hunter on the c64 with a skid sound. Try using that trick on the bridges. However you've made a good point about being more lenient towards minor dollisions so i'll have a think about that one.

v0.8.5 is the new build.

thanks for your suggestions.

sorry I usually don't like to use smilies. I was joking that i shouldn't have suggested the random ai placement just because it was easier before. But its definitely more fun since kind of like you said just memorizing left/right doesn't make for long term fun.

anyway this game is shaping up well. good work, i always like to see some well made homebrew.

jbrodack said:
sorry I usually don't like to use smilies. I was joking that i shouldn't have suggested the random ai placement just because it was easier before. But its definitely more fun since kind of like you said just memorizing left/right doesn't make for long term fun.

anyway this game is shaping up well. good work, i always like to see some well made homebrew.
It can be tricky to gauge what a person means with a few lines of text on a forum. No worries, i'm new to this forum lark myself anyway :) ....

It's really difficult to resist tacking bits on now. I want to try and keep it a good clean retro looking game. Anyway...It's all good fun.

Thanks
J

edit 1: v0.8.6...is up... It now saves the high score between games. Which is err...Nice.

edit 1: v0.8.6...is up... It now saves the high score between games. Which is err...Nice.

with this new version it goes directly to the new game screen after you are done so you can't see what score you got last. Is nice that it saves the high score though.

jbrodack said:

with this new version it goes directly to the new game screen after you are done so you can't see what score you got last. Is nice that it saves the high score though.

grr.... My girlfriend mentioned that the other day. I'll get it fixed...

I've also just put up a basic level editor (windows).... It gets the job done.

Level Editor

levelEditSM.gif

edit 1: v0.8.8 fixes this "with this new version it goes directly to the new game screen after you are done so you can't see what score you got last."

Back