Monkey Island

psa666

Still Fresh
Can anyone help me i have monkey island 1 & 2 on my gp32 blu+ They are floppy disk dos versions, both games work fine 2 saves ok but 1 wont save, it comes up with the error message cant save to gp\monkeyvga.s00.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

There is a different version of ScummVM, try searching the file archive, it fixes the save problems (and runs a little faster, I believe).

this question pops up every once in awhile. The problem has to do with the naming of the game (i think it conflicts with the gp32's 8.3 file format). I solved this problem by hex-editing my version (following a guide, probably long gone though) but I'm pretty sure there's an already edited version floating around somewhere...

This is the old version (without the ogg sound support, But faster.) Which i hex edited ages ago to cure the save bug in monkey islands.

I`m sure this is the right one, Though i haven`t tested it. But please let me know either way.

SCUMMVM.zip

EDIT: I can`t spell, Honestly

Trooper

DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 12:15 PM said:
Monkey Island 1 and 2 are just fine in the 0.5.1 based port (see my sig).
Both are also playable with OGG encoded CD audio at a decent(ish) speed.

I'm looking at your download page but all I see with 0.5.1 is a MorphOS unsupported release. Are you saying the latest ScummVM build fixes the save issue? Ta :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re not looking at my site then ;).

Here is the download, it's a good bit out of date (Current ScummVM is just about to be 0.8.0) but should do for Monkey Island 1 and 2 and the save issues is fixed in that build.

One of these days I will release a new build of ScummVM for the GP32 but as the core ScummVM has got bigger and bigger the GP32 port has got slower and slower (and harder to maintain) and keeps hitting the 8MB limit before anything useful is even up and running. Maybe I should just build it and let people bitch about how slow it is ;).

There are some moves afoot to look at an optimised ‘small systems’ backend in ScummVM that the GP32 port and GP2X port (even Palm maybe, Zaurus, WinCE etc. etc.) can derive from and trims out a lot of the remaining bloat of its parent and gives standard ways to use a virtual keyboard for example ;).

DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:05 PM said:

Here is the download, it's a good bit out of date (Current ScummVM is just about to be 0.8.0) but should do for Monkey Island 1 and 2 and the save issues is fixed in that build.

One of these days I will release a new build of ScummVM for the GP32 but as the core ScummVM has got bigger and bigger the GP32 port has got slower and slower (and harder to maintain) and keeps hitting the 8MB limit before anything useful is even up and running. Maybe I should just build it and let people bitch about how slow it is ;).

There are some moves afoot to look at an optimised ‘small systems’ backend in ScummVM that the GP32 port and GP2X port (even Palm maybe, Zaurus, WinCE etc. etc.) can derive from and trims out a lot of the remaining bloat of its parent and gives standard ways to use a virtual keyboard for example ;).

Thanks for the file. The save error "cant save to gp\monkeyvga.s00" no longer appears, but neither does it appear to save.

I highlighted a save slot (zero in this case) clicked save - no text was presented in the slot after the save. I then went a little further into the game and then tried to load from slot 0, but the load button was disabled.

Do I need to somehow give the save game a name? Thanks :)

antaresuk posted on Oct 26 2005 at 08:33 PM said:
DJWillis posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:05 PM said:

Thanks for the file. The save error "cant save to gp\monkeyvga.s00" no longer appears, but neither does it appear to save.

I highlighted a save slot (zero in this case) clicked save - no text was presented in the slot after the save. I then went a little further into the game and then tried to load from slot 0, but the load button was disabled.

Do I need to somehow give the save game a name? Thanks :)

I think you press the R button and the press the Dpad to cycle through letters, or is it the L button. I can't remember, but you can then type.

I tried that, made no difference. :( I pressed start, highlighted slot zero, tried all manner of L/R and B button combinations - no letters.

Ok, heres what you do. You get to the save menu, select a save slot, press "a", then use L/R (can't remember which) along with the control stick to add letters. Then I think you press "a" again, but i'm not sure.

deadlychicken22 posted on Oct 28 2005 at 09:38 PM said:
Ok, heres what you do. You get to the save menu, select a save slot, press "a", then use L/R (can't remember which) along with the control stick to add letters. Then I think you press "a" again, but i'm not sure.

Nope that didnt work. I tried both L/R buttons with the control stick and no letters appeared.

Back