Monthly System/console/theme Challenge!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I had this thought earlier today, to try and encourage people to try different games or systems out that they might not otherwise try.

Each month we could have a 'challenge' (no prizes, just for gabbing and bragging and such); the challenge would be 'play as many different SNES games as possible" one month, while another would be "play as many comic character based games as possible", etc.

I know theres a few Atari ST fans here, but I imagine most people would jump to SNES and Genesis first. So we could have a "Try movie based Atari ST games" month, where you'd try the various Batman and Superman games, and such.

I'm thinkng a good first one could be "Genesis based super hero games"; ie: If you've never tried Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, then its a classy platformer. Or we coudl do movie-based, to get into classic oldies like Gremlins or Ghostbusters por whatever is available.

Or just make it Genesis Month, or something.

We could have a poll to see what to target each month..

What do you think?

jeff

i think you should spice it up and add a rule. play as many of the type of game for the particular system...THAT YOU ACTUALLY OWN...no roms or emulators and see just how many of us can brag about that!

Good idea, perhaps we could include rarer emulators that run at a decent speed later as well. That way the people can try them and the author can feel that their work has had a fair viewing. For instance I like the atari 800 emu, but most people don't seem to have given it a fair go, likewise I haven't tried the CPC or Speccy emus yet.

Additionally how about a game of the month on the main screen that we should all have a go at and comment on, randomly picked, perhaps from an old magazine's high ratings table. I dunno, what was C+VG's top rated game in October 1990?

I couldn't find an archive of C+VG however, I did find an archive of Mean Machines which, iirc, was the console only section of CVG initially.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/duddyroar/docs/magazines.htm

On October 1990 their top rated games:
Wonderboy III Master System Sega 95%
Revenge of Shinobi Megadrive Sega 94%

And Noveber 1990:
Spy Vs Spy NES Nintendo 84%

As a side note I remember some of these issues, don't know if I bought them or not, but issue 21's cover picture of Chuck Rock rings a distant (15 year old) bell.

edit: silly mistake

yeah, I had that thought as well.. find a bunch of old magazines and get their top listings.. however magazine top listings (by sales and by review) tend to be weighted.. sales is weighted by availability and all that. Still, it would be cool to have a bunch of top-game lists. I've got quite a pile of Atari ST magazines (I threw away a few hundred when I moved, but I still have at least a hundred :) so I'm tempted to go through threm all and write down the game %ages in the reviews. But way too much work, and I'd end up reading the magazines :p

jeff

Unfortunetly I don't think that any magazine has ever existed that isn't biased in some way and covered all formats.
Come to think of it, I recently got the Nintendo Official Magazine to read some reviews before splashing out a load of case on DS games and the Mario game got a really good rating although they stated that the touch screen control was shite, yet Rayman got a shit review because it's touch screen control was shite. Biased towards Nintendo products?
Back on topic I don't think the quantity of games played for a particular console is the way to go. Pick the best of a few genres for each system and give them a whirl.

I'm thinking of just broad-categories, to get people going (like "movies"+"Genesis", so you can try out a bunch of games you might not have tried otherwise). But above he brought up a good idea.. like Speccy. Retro Gamer is forever going on about Repton and Dizzy (Spindizzy?) and other popular Spectrum games. Perhaps one months theme could be "Dizzy games" or perhaps "Spectrum games" ..

jeff

carlgeorge posted on Apr 17 2005 at 02:04 AM said:
I don't think that any magazine has ever existed that isn't biased in some way and covered all formats.
EDGE. Case closed.

Dizzy was awesome. When I have the time I'm going to get the MD versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Apr 17 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
"Try movie based Atari ST games" month, where you'd try the various Batman and Superman games, and such.

BAD idea

what if someone gets hold of ET

OH NO

mattmagoo posted on Apr 17 2005 at 07:11 PM said:
skeezix posted on Apr 17 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
"Try movie based Atari ST games" month, where you'd try the various Batman and Superman games, and such.

BAD idea

what if someone gets hold of ET

OH NO

If we make it 2600 movie-game month, everyone can snag a copy from their local landfill and then use the ROM "legally" :p

Why does everybody hate ET?
I actually liked it... though I last have played it wen I was a child back in the 80s ;)
But I found it pretty cool.

Quiest posted on Apr 17 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
I hate ET, too.

I was scared of him/it as a child :D Ugly beast!

I don't like the movie - but I liked the A2600 game. Am I the only one alive who does...?

Last edited:
My wife used to go on about how she liked it and got good at it; one day I pulled out the ol' 2600 and fired it up, and she kicked ass at it. I must admit it is cool to have a programmer wife, who also bought me Gradius V for PS2 for my birthday. *pwned* :)

jeff

I think it's a great idea, but who's going to decide what theme for the month?

How about everyone post their theme ideas here and then we could create a poll with everyones suggestions, poll winner is the choice for the following month.

Not sure about a month actually, the speed things change around here, I think a week or 2 would be plenty.

I like the movie theme idea though, been playing Robocop3 on the ST and it's pretty cool.

I've been mulling it over to narrow in.. like a Batman-theme (Batman on ST is cool imho :), or maybe a James Bond theme (theres one really really good one for the ST, though I forget which bond it is.. one of the Timothy Dalton movies. Great topdown strategic shooting..) and also include James Pond .. so maybe..

Spy based games (James Bond, James Pond, Spy Vs Spy).. harder, as I think theres a lot of spy games but you have to bve creative. "Corporation" or the like on the ST perhaps, or Midwinter on the ST ..

Barbarian games? (Barbarian on C64/ST was classic :)

Classic Super Heroes (Spiderman, Batman, Superman)

Newer Super Heroes (XMen, Tick, etc?)

jeff

skeezix posted on Apr 17 2005 at 02:09 AM said:
I'm thinking of just broad-categories, to get people going (like "movies"+"Genesis", so you can try out a bunch of games you might not have tried otherwise). But above he brought up a good idea.. like Speccy. Retro Gamer is forever going on about Repton and Dizzy (Spindizzy?) and other popular Spectrum games. Perhaps one months theme could be "Dizzy games" or perhaps "Spectrum games" ..

jeff

Aah, Dizzy, be it a Dizzy month! :) (not Spindizzy though..)

Back