More Android Consoles

DrAltaica

Still Fresh
JXD looks to be getting in the Android handheld game console ring with their JXD S7100
http://jxd.hk/products.asp?id=604&selectclassid=009006

7" 800x4880 TouchScreen
Cortex A9 w/ Mali-400
512M DDR2
2-16GB flash
Wifi b/g/n
USB2 OTG
Android 2.2
Doesn't look like it has shoulder buttons.

Yinlips anounced their YDPG16
http://www.yinlips.com/newsdetail.asp?news_id=361
Besides the 4.3 inch screen and PSP classic looks the YDPG16 seems to be the same as the YDPG18.
Still Android 2.2/2.3 can't make up their mind thing.

Dr.Altaica said:
JXD looks to be getting in the Android handheld game console ring with their JXD S7100
http://jxd.hk/products.asp?id=604&selectclassid=009006

7" 800x4880 TouchScreen
Cortex A9 w/ Mali-400
512M DDR2
2-16GB flash
Wifi b/g/n
USB2 OTG
Android 2.2
Doesn't look like it has shoulder buttons.

Yinlips anounced their YDPG16
http://www.yinlips.com/newsdetail.asp?news_id=361
Besides the 4.3 inch screen and PSP classic looks the YDPG16 seems to be the same as the YDPG18.
Still Android 2.2/2.3 can't make up their mind thing.

The YINLIPS G16 needs USB charging

Last edited by a moderator:
Amon_Re said:

Do you mean charging from USB charging ports or charging from standard USB downstream ports.

If you mean standard USB ports:
Why? It isn't as if anyone would notice if it did. When they plug it in in the morning and come back in the afternoon and it has no noticeable difference in charge(in terms of usage-time available).
Have you actually tried using "Standard compliant downstream port" charging? 500mA is all that a normal USB port can provide
From the YDPG18 specs is charger provides "USB5V/2000mA"; Now based on real would experience that would take approximately 16 times as long as using the charging port. Hence why my PalmPilot charges in few hours from dead battery on the (5v 1000mA)charger but takes over 2 days on a USB port.

now even if you use the new Battery Charging Specification, standard USB 2.0 A-connectors are rated at 1.5A, General rule of thumb is that mean 1.75 times the charging time. 1.5A also happens to be the most dedicated charging ports(dumb charges) can provide.

If you mean USB charging ports:
Why? They would just end up with people complaining about it not charging when it isn't connected to a charger.

Dr.Altaica said:
Amon_Re said:

Do you mean charging from USB charging ports or charging from standard USB downstream ports.

If you mean standard USB ports:
Why? It isn't as if anyone would notice if it did. When they plug it in in the morning and come back in the afternoon and it has no noticeable difference in charge(in terms of usage-time available).
Have you actually tried using "Standard compliant downstream port" charging? 500mA is all that a normal USB port can provide
From the YDPG18 specs is charger provides "USB5V/2000mA"; Now based on real would experience that would take approximately 16 times as long as using the charging port. Hence why my PalmPilot charges in few hours from dead battery on the (5v 1000mA)charger but takes over 2 days on a USB port.

now even if you use the new Battery Charging Specification, standard USB 2.0 A-connectors are rated at 1.5A, General rule of thumb is that mean 1.75 times the charging time. 1.5A also happens to be the most dedicated charging ports(dumb charges) can provide.

If you mean USB charging ports:
Why? They would just end up with people complaining about it not charging when it isn't connected to a charger.

Why? Because I love standardization that's why. I haven't had an USB capable device that couldn't charge over a powered USB port since... well, never. I actually can't recharge the bloody thing because the brick that came with it only fits into chinese/us power sockets and it uses a non standard port for the power.

As for the thing needing 2000mA, that's not necessarily true, they don't use custom build bricks but they buy these in bulk, it's very possible that the device never actually draws 2000mA while charging.

Amon_Re said:
Why? Because I love standardization that's why.
standardization? obviously you doesn't love standardization, or you wouldn't be advocating violating the USB standard

You might as well as be asking for it to be shaped like a Wii classic controller and project the screen in thin air.
if you want them to follow the USB standard and charge in a reasonable time.

Amon_Re said:
I haven't had an USB capable device that couldn't charge over a powered USB port since... well, never. I actually can't recharge the bloody thing because the brick that came with it only fits into chinese/us power sockets
woosy just bodge it in. it's rated AC100V-240V right? :)

Have you tried leaving it plugged into USB port(that doesn't tell it to power down, d@mn Windows) for a few days then turning it on?

Amon_Re said:
and it uses a non standard port for the power.
I admit that using a Non-standard power port is a bad thing but I don't think USB is the right standard for charging power hungry devices.

I don't know why they don't use a micro-ab port on the thing. probably some Chinese thing like there phone charging standard requires the mini-b so nobody wants to switch to micro.

personally I prefer the Palm Tungsten E, Zire 31 and Zire 72;Coby 8024 and 7022; Kindle standard(5v on 2.3mm OD 0.7mm ID plug, with is EIAJ-01 size for up to 3.15 V)

Thou I guess EIAJ-02 would be ok....

Amon_Re said:
As for the thing needing 2000mA, that's not necessarily true, they don't use custom build bricks but they buy these in bulk, it's very possible that the device never actually draws 2000mA while charging.
Looks like the YDPG18 itself has 5v 1A written on it.
http://snarkybytes.com/2008/05/06/make-a-kindle-usb-charger/ said:
Unfortunately, the Kindle won’t charge from the USB cable. (I know the docs say it will “trickle charge” but come on, if I have to leave the thing off and connected to the USB for a couple of days to charge then it doesn’t charge from USB.)

I can prety much guarantee that if you could just wire 5v power port to a standard USB port they would have.

Dr.Altaica said:
standardization? obviously you doesn't love standardization, or you wouldn't be advocating violating the USB standard

I'm NOT advocating violating the standard. USB 2.0 allows for a device to draw up to 500mA, that is sufficient to recharge the Yinlips within a reasonable time frame. Heck, USB3.0 allows up to 900mA.

Back