More Little John (NES emu) features n' ideas

GP32 Kirby

Website
Visit site
Here's some of my ideas of new support/features for Little John:

Game Genie support - NesterGP doesnt seem to work with this feature, and I really wish I could use this when playing some NES games handheld :(

Low G Man support - Low G Man is an old NES game I used to play, and it's something I will always remember of, but oddly in emulation, an awful lot of NES emulators for the PC dont seem to run the rom correctly (usually crashes just as the 3rd stage starts, or if you try accessing a later level via password). If there was a way round this problem that could actually be fixed, I'd truely appreciate it! :D

Zapper function - I remembered as a kid playing some NES games that used the Nintendo Zapper (the NES lightgun used for shooting-the-screen games like Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman etc.). For the GP32 version you could simply drop a gun cursor onscreen that's moved around with the GP32 stick (perhaps holding a button while moving it to toggle cursor movement speed?) and then press A to fire. It would be a neat little extra for those with memories of Zapper games such as myself. :)

That's my list. I know you're very close to the next public release, so if you cant fit them in for now, I wont mind waiting until next time, seeing your upcoming .2 release sounds very nice in terms of speed to keep me satisfied :) keep up the good work!

hando posted on Jul 1 2003 said:
- full screen stretching;
-ability to delete roms from emulator leve (like in castaway);
- Full speed with full sound :)
Full screen stretching is underway, yoyo is currently testing different solutions. Should be included in beta 0.2

Full speed with full sound is of course the ultimate goal, and beta 0.2 (with stretch off) should me much more close to that than 0.1

As for the zapper, yoyo said he already included that feature in his PC version of Little John, and was considering porting it to LJGP32. Wether it will be ine beta 0.2 is unknown.

I dunno about the other features you mentionned

Last edited by a moderator:
Game genie : I think it's easy, so I'll try to add this tonight.

Zapper : as I said I know how it works, just need time to implement specific GP32 processing (drawing of a cursor, special buttons setup...)

Low G Man : I'll try this one tonight.

Speed : current build run now in auto frameskip. Speed is between 20-30 fps
with sound on and between 30-60 fps with sound off.
But current management of auto frameskipping doesn't please me : as I said most
game run at frameskip = 1 with sound on (so 30fps) and then when something
is drawn only 1frame/2 (for ex. blinking sprites when you are hit...) you won't
see it.
I did add a fix to fixed frameskip value (for instance, frameskip = 1 is in reality 1,3) but I have to find a solution for auto frameskipping.

Scaling : 3 scaling modes are being tested => fast one and 2 nice ones (in 16bits)
which are now unplayable (too slow). I don't think GP32 can afford interpolated
video mode. I think I'll put it however in 0.2, but for me it's no point to play with them
activated ^=^

if you can get the zapper working it would rule..not as much as holding the positively HUGE lightgun that it was but still much ruleing

Not meaning to rush you or be rude or anything yoyo, but I'm wondering when you plan to release the 0.2 version of LJGP32 to the public? Only curious, just so I know how much longer to hold my breath for it, that's all.. ;)

Again, keep up the good work! :)

Back