More Nintendo Dual Screen News!!!

Evil_Cartman

I am made of jellay.
Website
Visit site
I got this from their newsletter....

[quote name='Nintendo's Newsletter']
"Mystery Product" to Launch Later this Year
An unprecedented approach to video game play - holding two separate game screens in the palm of your hands - hits the scene later this year when Nintendo introduces a new portable game system, Nintendo DS (temporary name).

Today's announcement is just a glimpse of the additional features and benefits that will be shown in full at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in May. Once fully revealed, players will see the innovative advance in game interaction.

From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a football game, you can view the whole game on one screen, while simultaneously focusing on an individual footballer's tackle or goal on the other screen. Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of their environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president, explains: "We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century"

Nintendo DS features two separate 3" TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit. It is scheduled to launch worldwide before the end of 2004. In addition to Nintendo developed software, the company is in discussions with third party game developers around the world.

Nintendo DS will be marketed separately from the existing Nintendo Game Boy Advance portable system and Nintendo GameCube home console.[/quote]

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! POST # 500!

Why why why...virtual boy anyone.

Wish they'd just concentrate on a proper next gen Gameboy.

Why why why...virtual boy anyone.
I was just thinking the exact same thing, this thing is gonna last just as long as the Virtual boy. I admire Nintendo wanting to be different from the other systems, like how GameCube uses mini discs instead of regular disc, but i think this is off the wall. I really can't wait to see how well it actually does, and to see what it actually does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just keep wondering who for god's sake will be willing to make games for that -_-... I mean the gba lives off its snes ports, I don't think they'll be doing dual perspective ports of ocarina of time on their next handheld :/

I mean: they make a great handheld (GBA), and they don't release any new games for it :/ so they just move on to the next? sounds very much like the N64 a couple of years ago...

What I don't see is why thwy don't make a screen 2x the size of whatever they are using for the DS, and games that want to use dual screen just activate some "Double Screen" function that lets them use the 2 halves as 2 different screens. The ones that don't want to use it just use the screen as one big screen...

Just because it has two screens, doesn't mean to say that snes ports etc can't be done, I would imagine one screen can go unused and the extra is just there to help provide a new creative slant for developers already scraping the remenants bucket in search of something new.

Not knowing any better, I would think the dual screen allows the system to have a large screen area for a significantly lower price than one large screen (of equivalent size). This allows Nintendo to bring a bigger screen product out at a lower cost than the PSP screen.

I'm not ready to crap on the DS (or the PSP for that matter, let then come!); I think it's "wait and see".

I expect the DS will stress Bluetooth and connected games; the dual screen being more of a cost reducing measure to increase specifications without hitting the wallet.

Good for Nintendo, I say. Successful or not, I like seeing products with some actual differences (hey, I bought a GP32, eh?)

future collectible that good.

thats where gamepark should release a 500mhz gp32 succesor if possible.

they could make one prototype and sell the plans to make it thru megagp!!

Personally, I have absolutely zero intentions to buy any successor to the GP32.

I can't see it offering anything beyond more emulation and homebrew games.
For me, eight bit emulation is as much as I want, and the XVID and MP3 players are already fine.

GamePark needs a "software plan" as much or more than they need a "hardware plan"

Ok... Two screens. Like next to one another, or on top of one another (didn't bother to read the quote of the article <--- lazy.

Anyway, this new unit just sounds dumb. Nintendo just make a new GBA that's faster, better fit then the GBA SP and has NEW games.

-Matt (Loves KOF port, needs new characters)

SNES ports could still be made.....
Thimk of one screen showing menus and the other showing gameplay in Chrono Trigger etc. That sort of thing should be easy to incorporate into a port.
Hopefully, there will be N64 and GC ports by then though.

If people want to talk further about the N-DS without clogging up this board, there is already a forum devoted to it here.

:blink:

/me has an idea...

They could make 3d games with that too, you don't have to have the screen close to your eyes... Just make a game that shows the right angle in 2d on both screens, then when you cross eye, the screens will meet in the middle, forming a 3d image!! :p

/me has an idea...

They could make 3d games with that too, you don't have to have the screen close to your eyes... Just make a game that shows the right angle in 2d on both screens, then when you cross eye, the screens will meet in the middle, forming a 3d image!! :p
Great idea, I can just see the headlines now!

Nintendo in lawsuit for making kids go blind

/me has an idea...

Great idea, I can just see the headlines now!

Nintendo in lawsuit for making kids go blind
/me thinks about all the money I could make if there was a game like that, and I went blind MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

Back