Moving from Pandora to the Pyra....

chaydx

Still Fresh
Ever since the pandora was a wee little idea on a forum, I have been following the project and dedicated to this amazing piece of technology. I paid for my pandora as soon as orders were able to be placed and have enjoyed mine for some time now, but now that i see the pyra is now in Dev it has brought me to one question that im sure others might be wondering too. Will there be some sort of program put in place to maybe trade in your pandora towards a pyra or perhaps send it in and have it upgraded like they did with the rebirth edition? i have been wondering this because we waited quite some time for the pandora and the life of it didnt seem to be that long before pyra started development which makes me feel like i lost out since the pandora project is now moving towards the pyra.

The Pyra's more than an upgrade - it'll have a completely different case, keymat, screen, battery, everything, so it can't be upgraded the same way the different Pandora versions could be.

There might be a trade in deal, if there's enough demand for the old units still, but that's a very big if with a new unit on the shelves. And if you keep your Pandora you'll be able to use its battery in your Pyra.

It'd be neat if Ed could make some battery contact caps that contain the suggested resistor across the sense pin as detailed in the hacker guide, allowing the Pandora to be powered from DC and used as a more permanent fixture somewhere, now we're all taking our Pyras with us instead.

Is it still the case that the Pandora battery is reusable in the Pyra even after redesigning it and the compartment? Didn't think so, but cannot find any recent post by ED on this.

The Pyra battery is bigger, so with a plastic inlay, it should be possible.

Need to check how the battery chip handles that.

There was really no way to make the Pyra battery the same shape as the old Pandora one? I know that you can't have that high capacity but a little bit more may be possible within that old size than the 4000mAh of the Pandora battery.

An possible adapter solution is of course also an nice way, even if it's only working to one direction and not backwards for the Pandora for swip-swapping the Batteies back and forth. ^^"

There was really no way to make the Pyra battery the same shape as the old Pandora one? I know that you can't have that high capacity but a little bit more may be possible within that old size than the 4000mAh of the Pandora battery.

An possible adapter solution is of course also an nice way, even if it's only working to one direction and not backwards for the Pandora for swip-swapping the Batteies back and forth. ^^"
Nope. The LiPo-Technology hasn't changed.

Unless you have a new technology by hand we could use, there's no way to fit more power into the same space.

Nope. The LiPo-Technology hasn't changed.

Unless you have a new technology by hand we could use, there's no way to fit more power into the same space.
Fascinating what happend in technology since the first Pandora was made 2008, so much new stuff actualy. But nothing groundbreaking in battery technology it seems then? Hm, no wonder the industry don't get the electric car done right, even if these E-Cars exist since more than 100 Years. ^^"
Hmm... maybe this? http://www.solidenergysystems.com/...some day. ^^"

Until then, why not using fuel cells like in the Kraftwerk. :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265641170/kraftwerk-highly-innovative-portable-power-plant?ref=nav_search

When i read the Title, i first tought about the Datatransfer from Pandora to Pyra..

but this should be easy by download the Emus for the Pyra, and then put the Pandora SD Card whit the Game data in one SD Card Slot from the Pyra, and copy they via explorer to the bigger Pyra SD Card ..

Will there still be a Compability Layer fo the Pyra so whe can use our Pandora Programms when whe reciefe our Pyra Consoles??

Whell, my thoughs are, that there want be much Programms at the begining, because hopefully this times there are more Pyra in the first months out than on the Pandora..

There's enough stuff on the repo that the original authors of some of it are bound to have moved on. I suspect all the sortware I use regularly will be covered, but if someone has some favourite old game that's effectively abandonware with no source link, there's still a case for a compatibility layer of some sort.

Well there is already a version of Opentyrian ready for the Pyra... so we got one PND covered...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the debian games selection?
Games are one thing, I do a ton of other things on my Pandora - and many people do others things with theirs too :)

It's not like there will be zero software from day 1 on Pyra.  
Of course, we should keep in mind that software may not be as optimized for the Pyra on day one. 

-Glyph Reader

Back