Mp3 Player

cbox

I will be using the Pandora as a replacement for my Archos and would be using it for MP3 play a lot so I decided to research and see what MP3 players are out there that could do similar things, especially looking for something that would index ID3 tag info, found these, was wondering if anyone had any idea if they were feasible on the Pandy:

Amarok

RhythmBox

Exaile

Banshee

Songbird

The one I use on my PC is foobar2000 and I like it a lot, doesn't look like it's open source though

Any media player (any program, for that matter) which passes the portability flowchart should be possible to port to the Pandora. Right now all the devs with actual Pandora hardware are working on more vital bits of the firmware. After the first batch ships you can be sure that someone (probably several someones) will start working on more advanced media players. Until then we know that MPlayer works and we should have access to that from day one.

I don't think VLC is being worked on, but I'm not sure. I do know that mplayer is in the works, though

i don't know i think that the pandora should have a music player that's built for a desktop rather than a portable
would it be easy to add a mobile oriented gui to these programs (preferably vlc or songbird)

hmmm foobar2000 ... looks like amorok... probably more lightweight though KDE is pretty heavy too bad foobar2000 is closed and win only

cb88 said:
hmmm foobar2000 ... looks like amorok... probably more lightweight though KDE is pretty heavy too bad foobar2000 is closed and win only

Hence, why Exaile and Banshee exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
foobar is built to handle some ugly problems with the way Windows handles audio playback. Those don't exist in Linux, so the biggest advantage of having foobar disappears. It would be much better to have a lightweight, reasonably customizable program optimized for the screen size and resolution of the Pandora.

sdedalus said:
foobar is built to handle some ugly problems with the way Windows handles audio playback. Those don't exist in Linux, so the biggest advantage of having foobar disappears. It would be much better to have a lightweight, reasonably customizable program optimized for the screen size and resolution of the Pandora.
Think Canola could be ported pretty easily? It already works at the same res on the Nokia N800 along with touchscreen.

I would love it if Songbird got ported, I use it on my laptop regularly at this point and enjoy it's interface a fair deal and am just getting used to it.

But, barring that I am sure I will quickly come to enjoy anything else since I've only recently gotten back into listening to music on my laptop.

Canola on N800 is slow and over-rated. UKMP runs well, and even has the "cover flow" feature of the ipod touch. :) Plus, it already has a youtube browser and player plugin on the N800!

only problem with songbird is it is lacking support for either global hotkeys or a CLI message-passing interface in linux, which means you can't issue commands to it unless it has focus. I keep meaning to look into that again...

TJSomething said:
I think Quasar Media Player, which was made for a similar device, will work fine. In fact, I think that it is already ported, given that armel Debian packages will work.

Voting for it.

kanzlr said:
regarding quasar, isn't that purely QTopia? I don't think we have that. at least not initially :)

edit: just noticed it works on pdaX, so it should be possible
Yeah, it works on Qt(opia).

Back