Mp3 Players

tekt5 posted on Dec 11 2004 at 01:04 AM said:
I use GPMadMP3 and it works fine for me!

Ditto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I prefer the wma/mp3 player. It really is a great app, I reccomend giving it a try. The only downside to it is that it onlt runs at 133 (eats batteries up...)

holy crap man. i took the plunge and forked over the $$$ for an ipod about 3 months ago. there's no going back for me!!

I couldn't ever get SVorbis to work right on my GP..... I use GPamp to play OGGs now and it works fine (I've got almost 2 hours of OGG music on one 64 mb SMC and you can barely tell the difference between it and MP3 format, which comes out twice as big for me).

ralp99 posted on Dec 11 2004 at 02:03 PM said:
holy crap man. i took the plunge and forked over the $$$ for an ipod about 3 months ago. there's no going back for me!!

I know what you mean. I just got a Zen Touch (directed by the community) and it's amazing. Walking around with my entire collection of music is the greatest feeling ever :D

Last edited by a moderator:
snes games.. no it doesn't have to!
I get tired of this idea of "convergence" that is preached, "one device must accomplish every task possible" - that's great, but it usually comes at a cost - high price or half-assed execution.

GP32 is great for me as a portable game-playing device, but it's not too wonderful for the other features it touts (MP3, divx playback) - I mean sure I have used them, and I'll admit the divx playback actually can be pretty useful (for what it is) but if I ever got a laptop then i'd never want to play divx on it again, for obvious reasons. Likewise, it's nice that it can play MP3s but the sheer amount of MP3s you can easily store/playback on a dedicated device like an ipod is just sick compared to a GP32's capability. Besides, so much easier to navigate/manage/etc.

Even as a gameplaying device, GP32 still will ultimately fail when compared to GBA and the like - I mean, we subsist totally on this homebrew and emu scene, which are extremely cool and specialized of course - but the quality is never going to be the same as commercially developed apps (and let's face it, all the emu stuff we enjoy was originally intended to run as commercial software). We make a trade off to be able to stick hundreds of NES/SMS etc roms in our pocket, and we are all agreed that the quality's good enough - but the purists would never agree..

(of course, the "purists" wouldn't even think a Nomad or a TurboExpress was good enough, either...)

Anyway, that's my little rant about convergence and quality vs quantity - I still enjoy my GP32 for what I bought it for, and I am glad it has support for the other features besides gaming, but I'll never expect it to excel in those areas.

I didn't buy my GP32 to play mp3s and watch movies on either :)

I'm a developer (though just new to c) and find the idea of an open-source handheld is absolutely great. I knew that the unit wouldn't be as well supported as the big boys (GBA etc) but thats not the point of it. My GP has been confined to its box until christmas (my wife won't let me at it) but I'm developing stuff on geepee32 until then :D

Peashooter. hehe.

My previous job was developing mostly client-server apps in Delphi amongst other things, but I have now started my own company developing mostly online games and animations in Flash. Though in my spare time I dabble in games and many other things (like an OS for the GP32 given enough time http://www.pea.co.nz/gp32/gpdesktop.php).

So all sorts, really

Back