Mplayer Questions

pder

I had some questions regarding the current state of mplayer on the Pandora and path going forward toward having a more optimized video player. Currently I am getting poor performance and audio video sync errors even with a 656x368 xvid 1200kbs encoded with mencoder.

I did a bunch of googling on mplayer on omap and beagleboard, but the posts were rather old.

Right now it appears that the codec pack installs a rather old version of mplayer from svn: r30165 which is from January 1, 2010. Whats not immediately apparent to me is what version of ffmpeg is being used in this build, and whether or not this has optimizations for using NEON.

I understand that the dsp could be used to assist in decoding, but does any code actually exist to make this work, and is it even necessary to get decent performance? Do we need a newer kernel to make this work?

Has anyone experimented with a newer version of mplayer/ffmpeg?

What settings are/will be optimum for playing back video on the pandora, eg. -vo xv?, -vo omapfb?, etc.

Thanks

I built a more recent version of ffmpeg (with neon optimisations) into vlc (in september I think), and most feedback were : slower. So I dropped my build...

I've had great success with "-xo sdl"
I've not had any problems with 480p and below divx files, and even x264 at the very least the audio is fine (with huge video frame skipping) at stock 500mhz running the same version of mplayer, r30165. I wonder what is different between our respective machines? Big Buck Bunny (my staple demo video) 480p is 2900kbs and runs questionably well, and nearly flawless when overclocked.

I tried VLC for the first time tonight and it worked much better. It fixed the AV sync issues I was having with mplayer, so thats good. I noticed a slight bit of tearing, but I haven't played with the settings yet.

Back