MS Outlook search problem

Fzero

Advanced Member
All of a sudden, Outlook on a Windows 7 machine, it seems is always using the Advanced Search method.

The Quick Search search box at the top of the inbox loads the results slowly, and now if I open a message or view it in the reading pane, and click on the 'Find Related Messages' text link, it then opens the 'Advanced Find' dialog and shows the results in there ... 

...It never used to, it always just showed the related messages in the main window, sort of like a live filter.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

I can't find anything online about it, just options on how to enable the advanced search, but that's not been changed on this machine.

It's a tad annoying :)

It's Office 2010

I have Windows Search still enabled/checked under the programs and features

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem here is Outlook. ;)

Have you tried updating Office 2010 to the latest version?

Another suggestion: Try re-initialising the Windows Search index.. It sucks but it's probably the solution.

Cheers @PowerGod but it's not an issue with indexing, I had thought of that earlier too but seems that's all still set as should be.

It's a strange one, as the filtering/quick search does work ... but it shows results in the 'Advanced Find' dialogue box, which wasn't how the results were being displayed previously.

May be something has become corrupt.

I did re-initialise the Windows Search already, I think so anyway, if you mean un-ticking the checkbox for it under Add Features And Programs setting, then checking the box again ... but still same thing.

It's a work laptop, so I might see if I can get the Office upgraded to 2013 or newer anyway ... this could give me a reason.

cheers for help

Ok feel a bit stupid for not noticing this immediately ... but it's actually running in Safe Mode.

So that's obviously why it's behaving like this, and that search feature isn't working as it did before.

Not sure why it is though, there's no new add-ins which might've got blocked to cause it, and it's not a session thing as even after reboot still starts up in Safe Mode.

Read about a KB Win Update which caused Safe Mode to initialise for some people, but I don't see that update in my list.

Tried running as admin, but then it goes through the whole setup wizard so didn't want to continue that.

Compatibility mode in XP SP3 and Vista still makes no difference, and still starts up in Safe Mode.

Strange, but at least I know why, just need to find out how to stop it running in the mode

let's see how these kind of solutions will work on Windows 10... I still can't understand very much how they will lock the update system, and if will still be possible to remove single packages...

I've no idea either, though I don't have a Windows machine for personal use [aside from my work laptop which I do use to do some things on], I'm in no rush to get Win10 after reading about the telemetry issues, not to say I do anything that shady, but still don't want keylogging of my machine and microphone stuff recorded and uploaded onto numerous servers, which of course could all get breached by someone sometime... Actually I will create a new post about that, to see if anyone here can confirm if what I read was indeed fact, as the article mentions the source might be questionable and the original source page is since down

Back