Msn Messenger 7 Receiving Files Problems

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
I have a friend who appears to have problems receiving any file such as .pdf . The transfer seems to start but then times out, she can send files fine though. The file extension filter list isn't the problem though (to my knowledge).

Setup:
XP SP2
Windows Firewall from Security centre
Behind a wireless router with a hardware firewall with UPnP disabled

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I have a friend who appears to have problems receiving any file such as .pdf . The transfer seems to start but then times out, she can send files fine though. The file extension filter list isn't the problem though (to my knowledge).

Setup:
XP SP2
Windows Firewall from Security centre
Behind a wireless router with a hardware firewall with UPnP disabled

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

My friend's says file potentially dangerous, that extension filter sounds like a probably culprit, can you elaborate as to what that is?

Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S msn 7 is pretty annoying so far...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the transfer times out then it's most likely a firewall in the way that is stopping it getting through. Typed messages will always get through as they are sent to a MS server, and picked up by the recipient if you are behind a firewall. However, file transfers are always direct, so if you firewall blocks the connection, it'll time out.

Check Microsoft's TechNet for more information on these problems:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...oy/worki01.mspx

I also used to time out when trying to send files through MSN, it turned out that a firewall which I had uninstalled ages ago was still taking effect for some reason. Took me ages to get rid of it properly.

Aslo, you can send any file type, just rename them to .doc or something.

Heres an idea.

DONT USE MSN!!!

What he can use instead:

Trillian
Miranda
Fire
gaim

:)

Back