Multi-slacking Capabilities?

n64ftw

Still Fresh
How will the Pandora measure up in terms of multitasking? On my Lifebook (with Debian Etch and 256MB RAM and 800mhz P3-M), I am currently running Firefox with 11 tabs open, I have totem open streaming a movie, I'm "working on my term paper", and chatting on AIM. With the Pandora having half as much RAM, this much multi-slacking will obviously not be probable. What could I expect in terms of multitasking? Will I be able to watch a movie and chat on AIM at the same time?

n64ftw said:
Will I be able to watch a movie and chat on AIM at the same time?
I'd me more concerned about the capabilities of your eyes. The Pandora's screen is small enough as it is. Do you really want to watch a movie using only *half* the real-estate of tat screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
multi-slacking is the person that reads and writes too much on different forums, he does a lot of slacker things and zero productivity!

It seems I described 99.99% forum users ;)

Pleng said:
n64ftw said:
I'd me more concerned about the capabilities of your eyes. The Pandora's screen is small enough as it is. Do you really want to watch a movie using only *half* the real-estate of tat screen?

You could connect it to a LCD tv and then screen size isn't a problem ;)

Holokauston said:
Pleng said:
n64ftw said:

You could connect it to a LCD tv and then screen size isn't a problem ;)

lol yea. hell then you could go the whole hog and hook up a dvd player to the lcd too, freeing up the Pandora for AIM! :)

Pleng said:
lol yea. hell then you could go the whole hog and hook up a dvd player to the lcd too, freeing up the Pandora for AIM! :)
You don't get it. You can have the movie playing on the tv and chat on the Pandora without the use of a dvd player.

javaJake said:
Rumor has it Pidgin takes up 90+ MB of RAM. This would be a big blow to the sort of multi-tasking you mentioned.
wow, you are misinformed...
im connected to yahoo, msn, and aim with pidgin (in windows) and its using a whole 26mb.
also, there is a text only version of pidgin, so i wouldnt think it would be hard to make a 'lite' interface specifically for pandora.

comfirmed :) using 21mb here (no chats though except irc) .... i bet a nice little fltk gui would work.... with the libpurple backend

oh i just remembered they are adding voice support to pidgin that will be schweeet on the pandora if the mic is good enough and headphones

14mb for me - one chat window open with 2 tabs in it. It's not a very heavy program, and, as other people said, you can just write your own front-end that implements libpurple.

crazedover said:
Pleng said:
You don't get it. You can have the movie playing on the tv and chat on the Pandora without the use of a dvd player.

Well that's gotta be a feature that's gonna sell thousands of units. It's getting increasingly difficult to find houses with DVD players :blink: :huh: :blink:

Snu said:
wow, you are misinformed...
im connected to yahoo, msn, and aim with pidgin (in windows) and its using a whole 26mb.
Thanks for the correction! Rumors aren't always accurate, you know. ;)

How did you get that number? I always end up using the wrong one in top...

Back