Multiplayer

nothing official, but it can be done for sure. now the question is: will it be suported?

I think that multiplayer would be a lot of fun but how many people can you find that live next to you or atleast near to you that own a GP32/GP2X? :huh:

Sorry if I said something that stopped your great imagination from running wild. :lol:

But seriously sorry...:(

online is the only way to go. I'd like to see a kind of multiplayer that wasn't exploited yet from my knowledge. Take a game like pong, or something like that. Now the idea is to play on only one handheld with a friend at the same time. one on each side of the handheld, someone moving with the joystick, the other with the buttons. the volume button is said to be configurable, so they could make action buttons for a player, while start and select could make action buttons for the other player. there's also 'L' and 'R' buttons, but i don't know if it would be really confortable to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMars posted on Sep 14 2005 at 07:31 PM said:
I think that multiplayer would be a lot of fun but how many people can you find that live next to you or atleast near to you that own a GP32/GP2X? :huh:

Sorry if I said something that stopped your great imagination from running wild. :lol:

But seriously sorry...:(
I see daclassicgamingmaster every week-day.
And I may be able to convince others to get one/play too.

i know if i showed some of my friends the movie and emu capabilities, they'd definitely get one.

Cahaz posted on Sep 14 2005 at 09:03 PM said:
online is the only way to go. I'd like to see a kind of multiplayer that wasn't exploited yet from my knowledge. Take a game like pong, or something like that. Now the idea is to play on only one handheld with a friend at the same time. one on each side of the handheld, someone moving with the joystick, the other with the buttons. the volume button is said to be configurable, so they could make action buttons for a player, while start and select could make action buttons for the other player. there's also 'L' and 'R' buttons, but i don't know if it would be really confortable to use.

There's a japanese game like this on PSP calle Kollon or something like that, it's basically like Puzzle Fighter or PuyoPuyo where you have to clear your side of the screen of colored objects. The game can be played two players on one system with one person using the Dpad to move and the L button to rotate and the other using the action buttons and the R button to play on his side. It's suppose to make it's way state side soon too. (while it's fully playable in japanese I prefer not to buy the JP version unless it's really necessary.)

As for Multiplayer I feel like it's ultimately useless unless you're with a friend who also has the system and games or if you're in a place that better emphisizes multiplayer like a party (LAN or otherwise), a convention or a competative event of some form where you know there will be other people with the same equipment. Out side of that, Online is the only other worthwhile way to play multiplayer because it's one oce the few venues where you can easily say "all these people pretty much want what I want, to play each other."

The problem with playing online is that games that require quick responses like fighting games can't be played. Other then that online playing sure is a nice feature. Maybe someone can make a program that allows us to play online by connecting the GP2X to a PC through USB.

It'd be good if the gpx supported the gp-link. Then you might be able to play with a gp32 or a gpx on the one game :) I already have a white link for my gp32 and I have a black one that'd suit my future gpx :)

I dont like playing online much at all. The whole point about mulitplayer games IMHO is to get together with mates and have a laugh, chat, eat, drink, etc...

Well, a WiFi-compatible adapter for the EXT port freely accessible from Linux would be great.. add a chatboard and you'll be able to.. chat on IRC with your GP2X!

Alpha2 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:55 AM said:
Cahaz posted on Sep 14 2005 at 09:03 PM said:

There's a japanese game like this on PSP calle Kollon or something like that, it's basically like Puzzle Fighter or PuyoPuyo where you have to clear your side of the screen of colored objects. The game can be played two players on one system with one person using the Dpad to move and the L button to rotate and the other using the action buttons and the R button to play on his side. It's suppose to make it's way state side soon too. (while it's fully playable in japanese I prefer not to buy the JP version unless it's really necessary.)

didn't know that. glad to hear this idea will be in a game. :)

There are lots of 2-players-on-1-handheld games, you just have to look for them. First one I saw was gbadev Pong but there were probably others before. Wario Ware also has some mini games like that. Of course, with the GP2X layout, more complex games are possible. I'd like to see some creative stuff... DDR with direction buttons, 2D fighters, cooperative shooters, a splitscreen Mario Kart clone, ... NES 2 player multiplayer could be possible on one device! :D

Back