Mupen64 Control configuration

ZXDunny

Deep avatar
Hi all -

My left nub is dead - only moves left/right and down. This makes Mario64 a bit of a trial in Mupen64.

Is there any way I can configure it to use the DPad instead of the left nub? I understand I'll lose some analog fuctionality, but seeing as most PC emulators allow you to use the cursor keys it should still be playable.

Can't figure out how to do it from the supplied config file.

Anyone?

D.

Can't help I'm afraid, but it might be worth bearing in mind that the N64 did have a d-pad as well as the analogue stick, so I assume the Pandora's d-pad is mapped to that.  Rather than just moving the left nub functionality to the d-pad, you'll need to find somewhere for the d-pad functionality to go too.

You absolutely can.  I did that because of how frequently my nubs become too uncalibrated to use.  I'm going to assume for my ignorance that Mupen64 in this case is the same thing as Mupen64plus.  I sort of remember that it may not be, but maybe it is.

In Mupen64plus Config, select Options and Input Settings.  In that .conf file, change the default N64 ANALOG setting to "N64 ANALOG=BUTTON DPAD : 255"

Although it's rare, the d-pad is used in some N64 games, so personally I decided to set it to W Z A and S.  If you'd like to do that too then change the N64 DPAD UP setting to "N64 DPAD UP=KBOARD W" and ect for the other three.

I hope that works.  Using the analog stick this way makes it impossible to aim the slingshot or bow at this in Zelda sometimes though.

Many thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm not interested in the Zelda games as they're pretty dull - the only games I play on the N64 are Mario64 and MarioKart :)

D.

@Tenka, I found changing the calibration to this in the mupen config clears up most odd of the oddities with the left nub.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12253-issue-width-the-left-nub/?p=231144
I refuse to accept that this config tweak has fixed everything.  I'm too used to really disliking the nubs because of the cursor forgetting its center point and sticking to the sides to believe that that can at least be stopped in this one program by changing the config in some way.  However so far that seems to be the case, aside from me not being used to exactly what is forward with this joystick yet, it seems to be working perfectly.  This is so weird.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I´m sorry but I absolutely fail in getting this ^^ done (D-pad instead of left nub), tried for almost an hour now.

Can someone please upload the according paragraph of the ini or config file in question so that

Left nub becomes D-pad

and

D-pad becomes w, a, z, s ?

Thanks in advance :)

Back