Music Player

dflatline

I use foobar2000 on my PC, what player should I use on Pandora? I want it to pay attention to folder structure rather than tags since my tags are all over the place. I also want to be able to point it at my music folder and just shuffle, thats important to

Oh man, I have been looking for a decent Foobar2000 replacement on Linux for so long. There is just nothing like it.

None of the media players was capable of handling the original album MP3 tag (TOAL) which I used at the time for grouping OverClocked Remix songs. Yes, very specific, I know.

In the end, I settled for the Emacs Multimedia System (EMMS) with an external tool plugged in for reading file metadata. These days I don't really care about the tag anymore, but EMMS usage just stuck.

Deadbeef can be configured to display and sort on any tag you can name, I think.

Only problem is I don't think it works with the concept of libraries of music specifically. I have my music set up in folders, so I can load in a folder and listen to an album, but if I wanted a random shuffle of all the music I have on my Pandora, I'd need to add it all to a single playlist, I think, which is probably not ideal.

I did used to use something on Fedora at my last workplace, but I can't remember what it was called now. It used to work with a library of music, but the UI was kind of clunky (and probably too big for the Pandora, thinking of it)

Although it is largely dependant on tagging, Quod Libet is currently my favourite. (Haven't seen a working pnd of it, though)

I'm always searching for new music, so I use MPS to search and stream music, if I like it I can download the song. I like its command line interface too, can setup playlists easy enough. I'm not sure it's your thing but it's the one I gravitate too.

For a simple player with a GUI, I like Audacious.
For the CLI, I like mpd + ncmpc.

Nowadays I use an Ampache server holding my entire audio collection with a Dsub client on my Android devices. So I may look instead at which clients supporting either Ampache or Subsonic are available on Debian.

Something with offline caching is nice, it progressively copies the music I like the most for offline use so when I'm in a place with no connectivity (rarer and rarer), I have a big selection of music I like without having spent any time specifically selecting it.

I tried a bunch of players and QMMP in simple view is the closest I can get to what I want, which is being able to load albums and ignore tags like this:
upload_2017-8-30_0-21-24.png

Back