My American Express Update

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Hello,

So I filed for a chargeback through Amex's dispute center. They needed me to fax them some information as a correspondence. So I basically summarized the whole story on one page as I am aware of it through these forums, where the bank did not want to honor any of the 3000+ charges and began to very slowly refund money, but there appears to be a problem with Amex people. Where they won't give it to OpenPandora and won't refund unless American Express proper asks for it.

I told them I WANT OpenPandora to have my money but the bank won't give it to them and when I get the chargeback money its going right back to them anyway. In the paper they asked what I wanted as a refund and I put the total amount that was on my bill.

Because I can have NO WAY of knowing what fluctuation the currency will be at, I had to put down the EXACT amount I paid Sept 30th. BUT, just like everyone was freaking out that they were losing $60 and all they have to pay is what they were refunded, I can do the same only in the opposite direction. Whatever extra needs to get paid I will include as the "Dev fund" this way OpenPandora doesn't get screwed.

So If I get refunded $705 I will pay $705.

BUT!~ Now this is the important part! What the hell happens if Amex can't get my money back from the bank? What happens to all us Amex users?

well then I guess you will end up feeling cheated out and cut up your cards and your contracts with them.
I have no clue why companies want to make it as difficult is they can just to keep the money in their possession.

Phawx said:
BUT!~ Now this is the important part! What the hell happens if Amex can't get my money back from the bank? What happens to all us Amex users?

That would be theft. Actually, in my language and if all we have been told is absolutely true, then the bank have either commited theft or fraud as they have taken the funds without the owners permission. When this is all done Craig should take legal action or complain to all the banking authorities.

Anyway, thanks for the update Phawx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I just checked my account and apparently I too need to send additional information that they requested...except I have no idea what information they are requesting since it doesn't explicitly say. Sigh, guess I'm giving them a call.

You have to put your card number and reference number from the dispute on a paper and explain what is happening and how much money you are looking to get back from the transaction. Than Fax them this paper through the fax # provided AFTER you call AMEX regarding this issue.

As Phawx advised, I called them up and they gave me a fax# asking for that kind of information.

The only thing confusing about it is that I already provided exactly that info on the dispute center. Since I had more space I elaborated a bit more but.. I doubt they are really going to read all that.

I did go ahead and sign/date the whole thing but I wasn't advised that it was required on the phone, that was just to kind of try to clear things up.

I also gave some links on the detail to reference back to the online documentation about why I was asking for a chargeback and.. that I didn't really want a chargeback so much as whatever is required to get the process going forward. I doubt AMEX can kick this stupid bank into gear but it's obvious that the Pandora team isn't able to do that (they are obviously at the mercy of these morons).

I'm not using Amex, but obviously you guys need to get organized.

The simplest thing is that every affected person sends exactly the same "details" letter. Best would be if Phawx simply copy/pasted here that explanation letter, only hiding the confidential information specific to his account.

If everyone, and I really mean everyone (not just those reading these forums) would send exactly the same letter, then Amex should get a clue. To achieve this goal Craig && Jacquelyne need to send an email to everyone who placed their order through Amex. And, yes, with an "explanation" letter included in the email. Some people will not want to use that letter template and maybe will want to write something else instead, it's irrelevant. The point is that everyone will stop being nervous.

@ Craig, judging from your previous email newsletters you need some editorial help. The last letter explaining refund was poorly worded, honestly. The issue is sensitive so we need to approach people with prudence. If you want, I can help you in picking the right words to write such a newsletter, just PM me.

I'm not a professional journalist/editor. I'm just a scientist wrote some scientific papers.

EDIT: remove too much personal info.

I agree... as well it would save the hassle of everyone who ordered via amex to have to write similar letters. I am also in this boat...

Well, I can't disagree honestly, though I think "organizing" isn't something that's possible since not everyone is really reading this forum daily. Not everyone who wants the device is wanting to check these forums all the time. I only started doing this daily since the problems, and because I'm very interested to see the completed device blog updates and all of that since I don't have the thing.

Once I have the unit, I doubt I'll be here all that much, not because I despise forums (I go to some others all the time) but because I just don't have a lot of purpose for posting here outside of this crazy situation.

I'd share my letter but it wasn't that great, and I do agree it would be better if this came from someone with a better legal background. I work in financial services, but not credit cards... so I met my own expectations for what a customer request should look like but I don't know if it matches precisely. The situation is honestly convoluted and we are kind of "in the dark" on the reasons for the bank switch/etc/etc. so I couldn't put that much detail behind this.

I want to stress tat this is an unrelated story.

I remember hearing about $10,000 accidentally being sent to the wrong bank. I think in a foreign country. I do not remember all of the details, but the important part was that the second bank just decided to hang onto the money for a couple of months. How much interest can you make on $10,000 can you make in several months, especially when all the money goes to the bank. I don't know that motivation for sure but it sounds real enough. It is not exactly stealing. It is more like willful slowness. Even if that bank you're talking about is not getting interest or something like that I could believe that currency fluctuation combined with there slow action would mean that there has been money gained or lost from their perspective. Either one would make them drag their feet even more. I do not know banking law but I could some thing weird like that is the cause.

cosurgi said:
If everyone, and I really mean everyone (not just those reading these forums) would send exactly the same letter, then Amex should get a clue.]
If you guys posted the letter, the destination, then I would be willing to send a complaint to them.
+1

Hmm a little late for me since I already sent a letter, but I think it'd be a great idea to have an easy access letter made for the rest of us Amex users. When I think of it, didn't Chip say something about making it obvious on the boards and emailing all Amex users what to do? That needs to be done as well, because as mentioned, not everybody visits the board all the time.

Hopefully Chip's update will answer the outstanding Amex question; Chip addressed the issue directly and put a timescale on it:

Chip said:
Reorders are happening now, slowly. We're sending out details and a reorder URL to customers one at a time, starting with US customers. Some have already been sent, and the rest are on the way. We're doing it slowly to avoid any potential problems with the CC processor and to avoid overwhelming the sales ladies. Do not worry, everybody will have the opportunity to reorder in time to get their Pandora.

We are meeting with the bank this week to fix the Amex situation. They cannot simply sit on the money forever, and we're not accepting any more of their stall tactics. If the bank simply refuses to rectify the situation, there is a backup plan. Anybody who paid for a Pandora will get one, no matter what the bank does. One way or another, this situation will be remedied this week.

Back