My Atari Handheld

spongebue

Website
Visit site
I meant to post this a while back, but I'll just put what I wrote on another forum with a completely different set of people.:

At 9:45PM CST on Sunday, November 14th, after 2 months, 3 days, 8 hours. and 18 minutes, I have finished my Atari 2600SP+

front001.jpg

It may seem as though the color is off quite a bit from side to side, but that's because of the camera flash. (it's hard to get a good picture with that camera) The whole thing turned out pretty good overall. Anyways, you plug it into the TV using this plate I made.

plate001.jpg

As you can see, it is not color-coded. It is, however, when turned on

plugslit001.jpg

There is also a mono/stereo switch, as you can see here:

switchthumb.jpg

In my old 2600 handheld, I forgot to put in the joystick ports. Not this time!

joystick001.jpg

While it may be pretty on the outside (IMO) the insides are pretty ugly:

guts001.jpg

While it took a while to build, I'm incredibly happy with the results. With my last one I rushed to make it get done as soon as possible. This time, I took my time and made it look good, since that's what I would want more in 20 years, assuming I still have it (I don't see why not...)

I'm already considering my next similar project... and woudn't mind doing it since the mobo is smaller than I thought... I guess you'll have to wait and see what it is. :) If you want to see the progress of this atari, however, see this thread here

hope you guys like it,
spongebue

it dosnt have a screen ? what do you need to do something like this ?what tools and stuff ? as id love to try somethin like this and i have this little lcd screen that i could use :D

CABBAGES posted on Dec 31 2004 at 10:34 PM said:
it dosnt have a screen ? what do you need to do something like this ?what tools and stuff ? as id love to try somethin like this and i have this little lcd screen that i could use :D
I didn't care to pay for a screen, though I have a pocket TV I want to hack for temporary use. The tools you'd need are a soldering iron, screwdriver, multimeter, skills, and a few other things. A laser engraver is optional.

V3X posted on Dec 31 2004 at 11:26 PM said:
cooool!!!!!!

i like how ya used the red arcade button :D

well done! :)
Thanks, nice avatar :)

So that box is full wood? Not just some wood-look-alike plastic..

Love it. :)
Yep, real wood. Only cost a few bucks

Wow...classy! Did you paint the logos or use a woodburning tool?
Laser engraver :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't care to pay for a screen, though I have a pocket TV I want to hack for temporary use. The tools you'd need are a soldering iron, screwdriver, multimeter, skills, and a few other things. A laser engraver is optional.

cooool!!!!!!

Love it.  :)

Where do you get a laser engraver from? aren't they expensive?

Well sponge, people didnt take to the make a portable idea, so I ran away, found you and nin nin , and you brought me back here to show me how to do it right

~Octavious

( all hail BEN !! )

cooool!!!!!!

Love it. :)

Where do you get a laser engraver from? aren't they expensive?

sorry, I forgot I started this thread :D

I used the laser engraver at school, as the technology there is waay overfunded (not that I'm complaining, but all classes have their own projector and most computers are eMacs with OS X Panther) I took a graphic arts class a while back and the same teacher does a few other subjects I have taken, so he let me come in and engrave it :)

I can see the virtues of this. It looks like a good looking peice of furniture. It also looks like it could be easily opened for tinkering. Builtin joystick is cool, makes it like a direct to tv thingy. Nice idea with the RCA plugs, I would assume that would make it easier to plug in in the dark :)

I can see the virtues of this. It looks like a good looking peice of furniture. It also looks like it could be easily opened for tinkering. Builtin joystick is cool, makes it like a direct to tv thingy. Nice idea with the RCA plugs, I would assume that would make it easier to plug in in the dark :)

thanks, it is nice to have the thing on a hinge if needed, though people want to take a look inside quite a bit. The main reason I put the LEDs in was because I wanted some kind of color coding, but couldn't find anything That idea came to my head, and white LEDs (normally $5 each at radio$hack :eek: ) were half off for the month, so I went with it and am glad I did :)

Back