My Caanoo Review

fishybawb said:
No flames required, it's a fair and comprehensive review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

but i can imagine this to be quite a drain on the memory

Battery you mean? :)

Aaargh, well spotted :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review, so if I have understood correctly one canot buy applications and games if using Linux?

Tetsuro said:
Nice review, so if I have understood correctly one canot buy applications and games if using Linux?

Not from fungp, no. If someone were to sell their games directly, then it would depend on the developer himself.

Amon_Re said:
Tetsuro said:

Not from fungp, no. If someone were to sell their games directly, then it would depend on the developer himself.

Very bad strategy, then for me there will be only the emulator scene. <_<

Tetsuro said:
Amon_Re said:
Tetsuro said:

There will be homebrew games as well, there are already a few on the Open Handhelds archive

Well, I got a dualboot Kubuntu/Windows 7 machine and a Macbook (also dualboot, but wth).
And even if it would work as advertised I simply have no desire to play DRMed games.

It never occurred to me to play commercial games (not emulated) on the Wiz or the Caanoo.
Besides, the best games I have seen screenshots and/or played up until now where all freeware/open source anyway.
Animatch still took the cake on the Wiz.

The PC-Manager becomes useless if you do not want to buy commercial games.
I would like to pimp up ED's file archive a bit, but functionality-wise it is all you need.

greetings,
derdritte

Amon_Re said:
Tetsuro said:
Amon_Re said:
Tetsuro said:

There will be homebrew games as well, there are already a few on the Open Handhelds archive

I don't enjoy homebrew games. Maybe in the 80s there were some nice games but today I don't see any. :(

x derdritte: I think it's right to pay the people's work, I use open source and free software not because I don't want to pay but because it's good and it's important for mankind. I worked for a software company and I would have not had salary if people were not buying mine games. It's important to RESPECT other people's work, and it's important to DONATE money for open source projects.

I would pay even for emulators (if they are good enough to satisfy mine demands, ergo ptimized and with high compatibility).

Well, there are some homebrew & indie games that are real gems, for instance, the original 'Worms' game started as a homebrew BLitz Basic game on the Amiga, just keep an open mind & an eye on the archive ;)

PC Manager appears to work under Wine in Linux.

I don't have my Caanoo yet, but it does at least start up if you follow the INI file alteration described here. It does complain about a db error of some kind on starting, so I can't say for sure that it works completely :)

In case it's important, this was with Wine version 1.3.1 on a Debian Testing install.

fishybawb said:
PC Manager appears to work under Wine in Linux.

I don't have my Caanoo yet, but it does at least start up if you follow the INI file alteration described here. It does complain about a db error of some kind on starting, so I can't say for sure that it works completely :)

In case it's important, this was with Wine version 1.3.1 on a Debian Testing install.

It's important to verify if it does work downloading and activating games, but it is promising non the less. Thanks for the information.

Tetsuro said:
It's important to verify if it does work downloading and activating games, but it is promising non the less. Thanks for the information.

I've just ordered a Caanoo through ED's shop (sidenote: Play Asia fucked my order up :( ), so I'll be able to verify this as soon as it arrives, assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it :)

Back