My Gp32 monitor needs tweaking

STRIDER_YUZO

Still Fresh
I just purchased yet a 4th gp32 system a week ago and it was seriously tampered with.

Firstly, When I opened the box, the gp32 was placed backwards in the cardboard holder, the plastic screen protector was sloppily put on and when I turned on the unit for the first time, the flu light went out.- I then put the smc into the slot only for it to make a noticbly rough amount of noise and become stuck in the unit.

I opened up the unit and soldered the flu ligh wire back into its correct place- Appearently, the wire that connected the flu light to the switch was jammed into the smc port. I figured it wouldent read smc's anymore, but it works fine now.

Now, Im having this problem with the monitor - it appears to be darker than normal and its somewhat more difficult to see when using it without the flu. -Noticably more difficult than the other 3 I have. The colors appear to be a bit pastel in all games it playes.

Are there any programs out there that allow you to adjust display properties?- Better yet, adjust display properties and remember the changes on boot?

cheers
yuzo

Some, if not most emulators have gamma correction functions. They can be a life saver if you don't have a FLU and you're in a dark place like an underground car park! Unfortunately, I don't think any programs remember the gamma settings.

Oh, and I admit I don't know the first thing about electronics, but monitors not displaying brightly enough sometimes can be because they aren't receiving a strong enough signal, ie needing more voltage. Best example I can give is with MAME cabinets. I dunno if this has the same principal with LCD, though, but I figure it's better to give advice than to not when it could be an expensive loss :p

Yep- I've been dinking around with the gamma settings of the emulators but the problem there is, the brighter the gamma setting, the more washed out the colors become- It just seems the monitor is darker than it should be and the graphic richness has left the building.... Slightly- Your idea about the monitor not recieveing power could be the case- Is there a diagnostic proggy for gp32? \\

yuzo

I don't think there's any diagnostic tools, unfortunately. A multimeter or something might help if you compare it to one of your working GP32's...

The FLU has a darker screen when the light is turned off than the non-FLU, this is completely normal and due to an extra layer on the FLU screen. I don't see this as much of a problem though, since the light is always turned on any how.

You could try the GP32 self-diagnostics mode.

Press:

L R R L R R L L

Then you can perform some self tests and get information about the GP32 itself, there are some video tests as I recall.

Yeah, cheeseman- thats what I wanted to do but if I did, I wouldent see the unit until jan 2004- phuk that shit! :) Thats way too long to go without a gp32-

Some good news........

I left the gp32 on over night- I ran the SMS emu and loaded a rom with a good attract mode to avoid a burn-in. - which may or may not be possible with lcd screens.-

Needless to say, its looks perfect now. I guess it needed some breaking-in.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys- now I have to figure out why this units not Oc-ing the way it should :) -the list goes on and on and on and on and on....

cheers,
yuzo

Back