My Joystick Has Gone Limp!

LineOf7s

Website
www.lineof7s.com
My GP2X joystick worked just fine, and then whilst calmly navigating my GMenu2X screen, it went all 'floppy', like it's suddenly become one of those old non-centring analog joysticks from the Apple II days.

Given it no longer responds at all, I'm finding this to be a bit of an issue. :(

I've got the GP2X beastie apart, but I'm at the point where I'm a bit nervous about trying to get to the 'front' of the PCB to get to the joystick bit. Can anyone who's done it, or maybe performed a DPAD mod or something give me a pointer or two about how to proceed?

824664.jpg

but seriously... if it isnt responsive at all then you will no doubt have to mess around with resoldering something or other which would me just as risky as a dpad mod but much less rewarding.

This is a how to thread on doing a dpad mod
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...624&hl=dpad

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
Happens. Hold it straight up and down and give it a good thump.
I really do love the methods used on these boards to fix things. Kind of reminds me of smashing my 2X to fit it in the cradle. :D

Yrx said:
Sphinxter said:
Happens. Hold it straight up and down and give it a good thump.
I really do love the methods used on these boards to fix things. Kind of reminds me of smashing my 2X to fit it in the cradle. :D

I look down at the golf shirt I'm wearing and across the left pocket is the logo for, "Hammer Technology". b0

This has happened to my gp2x as well, I just wiggled the stick around for a few minutes and it popped back in. But the third time it didn't pop back in, and I had to send it back to get it repaired. 5 months and 23$ later I now have a brand new gp2x in my hands (oh god did I miss thee). At least my psp made the wait seem a lot shorter.

Well as an update, I've had it happen once before, and I did the 'wiggle it around and it pops back in' thing (to my relief), but this time it didn't.

I opened the case up (the problem I was having was that I hadn't noticed a single lil gold screw holding the PCB in place - hence the original post), and just as I turned the PCB over so I could see what the joystick was doing... it worked. I didn't do anything - I just turned the PCB over. PCB one way: floppy as an eel; PCB the other way: fixed.

Happy it's working again... but I'm always a bit wary about technology that 'fixes' itself like that. Needless to say, my screwdrivers are never far away.

Line O'Sevens said:
Well as an update, I've had it happen once before, and I did the 'wiggle it around and it pops back in' thing (to my relief), but this time it didn't.

I opened the case up (the problem I was having was that I hadn't noticed a single lil gold screw holding the PCB in place - hence the original post), and just as I turned the PCB over so I could see what the joystick was doing... it worked. I didn't do anything - I just turned the PCB over. PCB one way: floppy as an eel; PCB the other way: fixed.

Happy it's working again... but I'm always a bit wary about technology that 'fixes' itself like that. Needless to say, my screwdrivers are never far away.
Well when my stick broke I tried to fix it myself, and I found out that the stick pops out of place when the spring gets stuck on the shaft from friction. But please do not open the stick, if its still in warranty, and it permanently breaks, send it back for repair.

Back