My Pandora 2 concept

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
As we're all in the realms of fantasy right now, I thought I'd share my idea for the P2. This is basically what I would consider my ideal handheld. It's based on the idea that I often find myself wishing that the Pandora wasn't a clamshell at all, I much prefer pick-up-and-go designs so I thought it would be better to have it as a single unit, probably with a protective plastic/glass film over the screen to make it flush with the face.

I have found over time that I don't like to use the nubs at all, I find them too sensitive and games are difficult to control precisely with them, also mouse control is not ideal. I would very much like them to be replaced with trackballs, I can't see any reason why a trackball couldn't easily do all of the things that a nub can, but with a greater degree of control and elegance, with the extra added bonus of another button under each one. They might be in the wrong place for comfort here, but you get the general idea.

Wl5WX.png

I've not done away with the keyboard entirely because I like it, but I do find that I don't always want it to be there. So I thought if we had a front mounted usb port; the keyboard could come as a separate unit that clipped in to the bottom (granted it would need extra docking points to make it sturdy, but you could even implement some kind of icontrolpad-style locking buffer arms), then you could use it as and when you wanted, and unclip it and store it away when you just wanted some free and easy gaming. You could even sell it as a peripheral rather than part of the package. I was thinking that it could also double as a hub with two or more usb ports on it.

6hRQ0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you know i seen this at about half 1 [13:30], immediatly I didnt like it at all and walked away deciding not to even comment on it.

But then while sitting down and eating my home made cinnemin pancakes, I could not help but think about your design.

FUNKY damn FUNky and pretty good concept (maybe i have seen it before maybe??)

unfortunatly in my opinion i dont think it would/could work for the pandora project.

As we're all in the realms of fantasy right now, I thought I'd share my idea for the P2. This is basically what I would consider my ideal handheld. It's based on the idea that I often find myself wishing that the Pandora wasn't a clamshell at all, I much prefer pick-up-and-go designs so I thought it would be better to have it as a single unit, probably with a protective plastic/glass film over the screen to make it flush with the face.

I have found over time that I don't like to use the nubs at all, I find them too sensitive and games are difficult to control precisely with them, also mouse control is not ideal. I would very much like them to be replaced with trackballs, I can't see any reason why a trackball couldn't easily do all of the things that a nub can, but with a greater degree of control and elegance, with the extra added bonus of another button under each one. They might be in the wrong place for comfort here, but you get the general idea.
Hi Sugar_Kane. I had some similar thoughts, so I came up with this compact Pandora 2 concept. What do you think? ;)

Clamshells give you more screen space, which is important for desktop work.

A separate Keyboard would make playing vertical Arcade games much more easy (device in portrait mode), one big advantage of the GP2X over the Pandora for example. On the Pandora, you actualy can't play these games very well except you rotate the image on screen and waste tons of screen space.

All concept for pandora for existence was being gaming controls and keyboard,which was a smallest laptop in pocket,no need to get rid of clamshell design.

perhaps not your cup of eggnog, naysayers, perhaps not, but this is my ideal concept and I would buy it within 18.6 microseconds if it were real. *resumes daydream*

The concept is a good one, I've often pipe dreamed of the possibility of a modular computer.

How about a slight redesign where there were 3 modules?

They would be

A touch screen (like a mini android tablet with HDMI out, Audio out, twin micro SD, USB etc.)

Gaming controls

A Keyboard

Additional modules could also include things like, a docking station (to turn it into a desktop computer), Battery Pack etc.

The concept is a good one, I've often pipe dreamed of the possibility of a modular computer.

How about a slight redesign where there were 3 modules?

They would be

A touch screen (like a mini android tablet with HDMI out, Audio out, twin micro SD, USB etc.)

Gaming controls

A Keyboard

Additional modules could also include things like, a docking station (to turn it into a desktop computer), Battery Pack etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_Labs

---

how about:

a core processing module common to all configurations which can clip into a:

• game-slate dock
  • pandora dock
  • palmtop dock
  • netbook + extra battery dock
  • telephone dock

A separate Keyboard would make playing vertical Arcade games much more easy (device in portrait mode), one big advantage of the GP2X over the Pandora for example. On the Pandora, you actualy can't play these games very well except you rotate the image on screen and waste tons of screen space.

You know you can use a separate keyboard with the Pandora, right?

I like the concept of a removable keyboard, but you have to correct the proportions.

battery, mainboard, etc everything has to be in the upper display part.

So the display part must be much thicker than the keyboard part.

due this the p2 couldn't stand with opened display, it would tip to the back.

to resolve this the keyboard part could be a little bit longer at the backside, this would also give some extra space for high connectors.

but how good is typing on such a thin keyboard ?

Back