My Pandora freezes every time when I try to change date and time

PonkP

Still Fresh
Hi

I'm currently on SuperZaxxon 1.5 beta5 firmware (the unit just recently shipped to me this week).

After the first boot, I would like to modify my date/time & timezone after install 'tzdata-asia' package when I navigate to SETTINGS/date and time

I tried to set date and time & timezone, my Pandora hung every time. It became unresponsive to any input, I had to pull out battery and try again, same thing happened

Please advise.

PK

sorry I don't need to pull out the battery, hard reset also works, but it's STILL hung every time when I want to set a new date and time.

Using date command in Terminal to set date and time also freezes my pandora

It's a known bug in SuperZaxxon, hopefully will be fixed in the next release.

SuperZaxxon Beta hotfix 5a is the newest, if your referring to regular Zaxxon Hotfix 6, it doesn't support the 3.2 Kernel ie can't use the full 512Mb of the newer units.

It's a known bug in SuperZaxxon, hopefully will be fixed in the next release.
It won't unless I'm able to reproduce it, and this never happens here.

Some questions, when this happens:

- does the screen stay on?

- does it react to plugging SD cards after the hang (do the LEDs blink?)

- if wifi is on, could you try to ping the pandora after the hang? Maybe even ssh into it?

- before the hang, if you open and close the lid several times, does it hang?

I have the same issue with SuperZaxxon 1.5 beta 4. Runnig it from SD card. Hang-ups are inevitably happen when I try to change system time but are not limited with just this condition. Unit tends to freeze on it's own if left without user input for a significant amount of time. For example, when large PND is beening downloaded via internal wi-fi adapter. Sometimes happen even random hang-ups where there is no visible cause.

Concerning the questions:

• Screen stays on with an uncorrupted desktop picture on it.
  • Unit reacts to SD cards beening plugged/unplugged with a blinking of the corresponding LEDs.
  • If wi-fi was on before the feerze it instantly goes off. At least wi-fi LED indicator turns off and unit stops to reply for ping requests.
  • Attempts to several times open and close lid do not seem to cause unit to hang.

I have standart OP-1001 from the first batch with functional internal wi-fi. The problem has appeared only after upgrade to SuperZaxxon 1.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is black 600MHz/256Mb. There was only one colour available at the moment of the order. :)

--- Update ---

Upgraded today my SD card installation to Zaxxon 1.5 beta 5a. System stopped to hang on time/date change.

But it still hangs if I try to download big files via internal wi-fi module. I'm using uGet for that purpose. Sympthoms are same as above except for wi-fi LED indicator. Whichs stays on now. Despite this fact unit still becomes unreachebale from the network. Looks like it's a different issue linked to wi-fi driver. No random hang-ups till far.

In fact, there are random hang-ups but they happen only when wi-fi module is active. Obviously another wi-fi issue which is unrelated to the current topic.

Hmh weird stuff. Could you perhaps try, while wifi is up, running 'sudo chvt 1' (which will switch to tty1) and leaving it there until it hangs? When it hangs, hopefully it will spit out a backtrace (assuming it's a kernel oops) that would help a lot. You could then take a photo or something.

Very well, I'll try this and post the result.

But I wasn't right about wi-fi. Pandora left for approximately 8-10 minutes with disabled wi-fi adapter still hangs on it's own. I had only MC running in the terminal. And sutiuation reproduced several times in a row. Don't know what to think. :wacko:

I can also confirm that the Pandora freezes after attempting to change the time.

I'm new to Pandora, and just got my device (silver, 600mHz/512mb RAM, came with Super Zaxxon 1.5 pre-installed).

The Pandora freezes after 10-20 minutes of use. I've noticed this while browsing the web via pandebian.

After freeze, nothing helps (removing SD card, etc.), other than a reboot. The screen remains on, and so are the various status lights.

there was a time bug once thought it was gone.The program if its not totally stable could freeze the pandora.Its the prog though not the pandora.Resetting fixes it anyhows.

The problem is my OP has become unusable, it is now freezing everytime after a reset (usually ten minutes or so after reboot). I'm thinking of installing Slackware on an SD, and boot from it to see if same will happen.

Hmm, that's very interesting, haven't seen such freezes so far.

Could be a bad CPU as well - or a bad software flash.

If you're connected to the net, try if you can ping the Pandora from your PC when it frezees.

This will help us find out whether the system really freezes or just the X-Server, for example.

Ok, here's an update: After connecting the power adapter, I can change the time, and use the Pandora without any freezes for over an hour. Pandora also recovers perfectly from a screen dimming.

The freezing problem for me, seems to be happening when the Padora is running on battery power.

Will keep running on batteries for a bit, and report any issues.

The freezing problem for me, seems to be happening when the Padora is running on battery power.

It might be that your battery is a bit loose, try putting a small bit of paper between the battery and the cover to force a better contact.

Back