My Personal Concern - Is Zx-81 On Board?

dosteridge

I play, therefore I am?
Website
Visit site
I love everything about the Pandora, but I am concerned that some of the older (more obscure) systems may be forgotten :huh:

I am aware that there are many Dev's on here that like and support these systems, but zx-81 seems the only one who ports many emulators that I use.

Maybe it's wise to give an example of the systems I love to use on the go that zx has ported to the 2x and psp:

C16 Plus 4
Dragon 32
Sam Coupe
etc...............

Does anybody know if zx is prepared & willing to support us older folks?

I have no doubt that there will be a great speccy emulator at some point, but my other obsession is the wonderful Atari Lynx. I really like the newest Lynx emulator on the psp but nothing can beat tuskenraider's amazing lynx emulator on the 2x.

I have not seen him around here for some time, Tuskenraider - if your there please put my concerns to bed.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see the amazing things that the Pandora will do and I love everything up to psx, and will use all of the other features this marvellous device will provide, but I usually use the older systems more regally that anything else.

I am the only old bugger around here? is anybody else concerned that these fabulous systems will be forgotten in the name of next generation?

Please, ZX-81, Tuskenraider or any other dev put my mind at rest.

P.S - The younger members - please don't make me feel too old :eek:

:)

Not sure about tuskenraider, but zx-81 releases his source code, so if he doesn't port his stuff, someone else can. GP2X->Pandora ports will be pretty trivial :)

All three systems you mentioned are emulated well by MESS (by their standards, anyway) and are old/slow enough that they would probably run at full speed on a Pandora port.

I was just making the case the other day that MESS would be worthwhile if only for all the old, obscure systems that would never see a standalone port. You're just the sort of user who would benefit from it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
fishybawb said:
Not sure about tuskenraider, but zx-81 releases his source code, so if he doesn't port his stuff, someone else can. GP2X->Pandora ports will be pretty trivial :)
Good to hear, but I am a Lawyer not a coder, I hope that there are other people with the ability and drive to port them, you have made me feel a little better - thank you fishy :)

sensible GP32 said:
It would be a massive shame if Zx-81 wasn't involved.
damn right and well said, ZX is a machine and still pumps out his stuff on the psp despite the terrible attitude of the psp community. I always download and use his stuff but do not post comments on psp forums because I feel that it's a waste of my time to feed the arrogant trolls that frequent those forums. :)

EDIT: Thanks Chip, that is also very encouraging to hear :)

Esn said:
I also really hope Tuskenraider that will be involved. His GP32 Lynx emulator is one of the best things on my SMC, and has many nifty features that MESS does not (MESS Lynx doesn't even support savestates).

Oooh yeah, I had forgotten his gp32 emulator, that was amazing. The only problem I had with it on my gp32 was the screen alingment, it always cut off a bit at the top! I think it was to do with the different screen my BLU had.

dosteridge said:
Esn said:
I also really hope Tuskenraider that will be involved. His GP32 Lynx emulator is one of the best things on my SMC, and has many nifty features that MESS does not (MESS Lynx doesn't even support savestates).

Oooh yeah, I had forgotten his gp32 emulator, that was amazing. The only problem I had with it on my gp32 was the screen alingment, it always cut off a bit at the top! I think it was to do with the different screen my BLU had.

Well, I own an FLU and don't have that problem. But his emulator allowed you to display the screen in something like 8 different ways, including original resolution and rotated sideways.

Esn said:

Most MESS systems don't support savestates, and many of them don't even have great emulation compared to standalone emulators. If given the choice between a standalone and a MESS emulator, the standalone is usually going to be better. That's fine for something like the Lynx which is well known, but there are dozens of old 8-bit PCs that most people have never heard of and might not get a standalone port.

Ideally, ZX-81 will port his 8-bit emulators to Pandora and all will be well. I'm just trying to reassure Dosteridge that even if ZX-81 isn't on board and nobody else takes the time to port his emulators for these obscure systems, there's still a decent chance he can run his old programs under MESS.

Esn said:
Well, I own an FLU and don't have that problem. But his emulator allowed you to display the screen in something like 8 different ways, including original resolution and rotated sideways.
Yeah I had a flu too but gave it to my son when I bought my blu. My son lost the flu on camping trip so never got to try it out :( . If I recall correctly it was something to do with the samsung screen on the blu+!

dosteridge said:
Yeah I had a flu too but gave it to my son when I bought my blu. My son lost the flu on camping trip so never got to try it out :( . If I recall correctly it was something to do with the samsung screen on the blu+!
Don't worry. You just need to open an attachment in one of those spam messages to find your flu again. ;)

Pandora console looks really good, who knows, may be i will join the pandora scene :p

Big thanks to all of you for your kind comments :).

@dosteridge: I do agree about comments on psp forums. But there are so many teenagers on this scene, you can't blame them if they don't like old-school stuff :)

zx-81 said:
Pandora console looks really good, who knows, may be i will join the pandora scene :p
zx-81 developing for Pandora would be great news indeed. The old consoles can work perfectly on the Pandora because of the keyboard, even old adventures with text input.

zx-81 said:

Big thanks to all of you for your kind comments :).

@dosteridge: I do agree about comments on psp forums. But there are so many teenagers on this scene, you can't blame them if they don't like old-school stuff :)
Great to hear from you zx :D

I know what you mean, but I just hate the way they deal with it, why not just not post at all. Some of their comments really annoy me, don't know how you manage to stay calm.

Can't wait for the :pandora1:

b_o_b said:
zx-81 said:
zx-81 developing for Pandora would be great news indeed. The old consoles can work perfectly on the Pandora because of the keyboard, even old adventures with text input.

Definitely! In a way, classic computer emulation is the most "exciting" aspect of emulation on Pandora, because features like the keyboard, display resolution and touchscreen make it possible to fully enjoy every aspect of those computers on a handheld.

Really nice blog you have BTW! I just looked at it. :)

zx-81,

I've started keeping track of emus declared for Pandora by well known devs who don't yet have Pandora hardware. It's in my emulation sticky post on top of this board.

Can I put you down for some systems there? :) If yes, which ones?

Prophet said:
zx-81,

I've started keeping track of emus declared for Pandora by well known devs who don't yet have Pandora hardware. It's in my emulation sticky post on top of this board.

Can I put you down for some systems there? :) If yes, which ones?
All my gp2x ports can be ported to pandora without a lot of work, and since they are based on the same UI / engine, if i port and modify one of them to exploit all new hardware features of the pandora, then it will be very easy to do the same for all of them ;)

Very convenient for fast ports!

EDIT: okay, I've yellow lighted various systems as being intended for emulator porting by zx-81. :)

Back