My Psp Review!

Vollgasasi

hey guys
first i must say i love the gp2x and especially the community. the dedication some people have for the gp2x is outstanding. but i got myselfa psp because i wanted to play my fav. psx games.... and i must say i'm fucking impressed!

so on tuesday i finally got on ebay and ordered one of those shiny psp's. i got one with a 2gb memory stick, loco roco (for my gf mainly) and formware 3.40oe-a.

the interface:

the first thing i noticed is how cool the cross media bar is! it's really, really nice to have a small preview of the game you are about to start! it displays a small window showing ingame stuff and plays the music. the cool thing is that you can make these previews yourself for psx games like final fantasy 7or others of course! it looks great really! here's a small taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9j75uVyxo
i hope you get the idea! after 30 mintues of i-net search i was able to reproduce such amazing intros! great!

also the xmb (cross media bar) is fucking nice to navigate! i really thought it was a pain in the anus to navigate it but its really good. nice one sony!

the display:

it's gorgeous! i mean really gorgeous. it's big, it's colours are vivid, it's well lit, it has a great viewing angle! only downside is the ghosting. it's really apparent. it doesn't bother me but it could be better ;) but in the end the display is superb.

the controls:

the button placement on the psp is .. good. it's similar to that of the psx/ps2/ps3 controllers but the analog 'nub' is just not placed very well. for psx games it's no problem really as many of the old psx games where designed with the dpad in mind. but it could be better! i would rate it a b-.

the psx emulator:

it'....fucking...amazing!!! it's full speed, it has all the screen ratio options you want, it has a fast load option...it's really close to perfection! as i'm from germany i only have pal games to test which aren't officially supported but i tried colin mc rae rally 1, tony hawks pro skater 1 and final fantasy 7 and all run great. this emulator is like a flashback really. gotta rip gran turismo.... ......

commercial games:

i only have loco roco at the moment and i don't plan to purchase many commercial games as i mainly bought it as a psx emu machine but at least loco roco is really cute and on the psp's screen it looks outstanding.
maybe i'll purchase gta and metal gear. but for me the psp is an emulating monster.

so far i'm really impressed with the psp. i don't regret the purchase one bit and when i get to try other emulators like snes etc (and maybe the n64 emulator when it gets playable) i will have to sell my gp2x...
but i will always be part of the community no matter what. after all you guys at gp32x forums are great.

and i will most likely buy a gp3x anyway ;)

so guys that's my short review of the psp. maybe i'll add more impressions in the future. cya!

Last edited by a moderator:
I need GTA LCS to downgrade my psp. It's still in it's box till I can get hold of a copy.

i thought the gta method of downgrading had been updated ages ago? the last one i did was 2.8 and i just used a programme to load a .tif file on to my ms, opened my photo gallery and it downgrades.

If you had any links, I'd be really grateful!

I really dislike GTA on psp. I have both version and they both feel really awkward to play. Best games I've had on it were Tales of Eternia and Star Wars Battlefront 2. Dont really play it anymore

ANyone got any suggestions for good games for PSP? Doesnt matter what type of game it is as I'll play anything apart from games aimed at 3 year olds but I havent seen any of those on the PSP. I was tempted with the new metal gear on psp but im hearing bad things about it so i think i might pass.

loco roco is really cool and addictive and i don't think it's aimed at 3 year olds. and the mgs portable is a nice game from what i've heard and seen. just the controls (like on every ps2 'conversion') are a bit akward.

Ganepark32 said:
ANyone got any suggestions for good games for PSP? Doesnt matter what type of game it is as I'll play anything apart from games aimed at 3 year olds but I havent seen any of those on the PSP. I was tempted with the new metal gear on psp but im hearing bad things about it so i think i might pass.
Ummm... get Vib Ribbon for the psx emulator. It's surprisingly good.

Ganepark32 said:

Theirs 2 or 3 Metal Gear games... Make sure you get the actual Metal Gear game and not them crappy metal gear card games that were released (or what ever they were)... Also, you could convert the PSX Metal Gear version to PSPPSX format..

Look out for

GTA VCS
GTA LCS
Metal Slug Anthology
Miami Vice
Pro Evo 6
Fifa 07
Fifa World cup
Mercury
Virtua Tennis
Test Drive
Final Fantasy 20th Ann. is suposed to be good
Bust a Move
Snooker
After Burner
Chili Con Carnage
Luxor
Mortal Kombat Unchained
Ace Combat
Tekken
Def Jam
Plus Alot more...

Yeh I have both of those GTA games on the PSP and I don't really like them. They feel very awkward to control and play, which is probably down to the fact that they didnt make the controls to suit the PSP but to suit the PS2.

hot shots golf, ridge racers,virtua tennis, loco roco, tekken, and katamari the only games i really played that i liked, although the controls take some getting used to on katamari, like someone else said on here, the controls on most games are too awkward to be fun, the analogue nub is in a stupid place and gave me thumb cramp, the proper metal gear game looks nice but controls mess it up, stick to metal gear solid on ps1 through emulation on psp.

Tried the latest N64 emu yet with Mario 64?? thats quite good :)

i'm waiting so much for r12 release of the n64 emu. that's probably when i will try it out. i have mario 64 for nds so i don't need that for the psp but i would love to see some star fox action on the psp ;) or zelda... but for now i'm stuck playing psx games.... its..so...good... i just put my gp2x on ebay..... :ph34r:

the psp can do everything i want so i decided to make some money on my gp2xas i don't need it anymore.. don't beat me up guys..... !!!

Vollgasasi said:
the psp can do everything i want so i decided to make some money on my gp2xas i don't need it anymore.. don't beat me up guys..... !!!

The only thing I would buy a GP2x for now would be the TV out feature...

Back