My Quarter Biology Project

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Ok, so I need a little bit of help from some of you creative people. My project is to sketch out and list the events of an invasion by a bacteria or virus and the body's response in 10 steps, but I can't just draw regular white blood cells and such, they have to kind of have a theme, and the wording and the pictures should be simple enough for a 5th grader to understand. So, I already have created the 10 steps, and now I just need to think of things that can represent the different immune cells. This is where I could use your help. I am going to print the pictures and cut and paste them onto a piece of paper, so I'm looking for pictures posted on the web. Also at all the "good guys" need to have some way to be distinguished from the "bad guys" (The virus), like color (which I can probably add later in paint), species or something else.
So, here's what I have so far (The statement in parenthesis is to let you know the basic function of them to help you come up with something that can represent it. I also included for some the object I have came up with, so you can also comment on those):

Macrophages (Things that engulf and ingest viruses. A previous project had Homer Simpsons as the Macrophage) - I chose a Bear

Memory Cells (Simple one. They are used as a reference when you are attacked again by the same invader) - I chose the obvious Brain, but I could use an animal that seems to have a large brain from the outside, or looks very intelligent, or something along those lines.

Cytotoxic T vells (Cells that destroy invaders by basically touching them) - I chose an eel.

Helper T Cells (A tough one. They are basically like helper cells against the virus. So, I need something to depict "help." I REALLY could use something that is like an animal, but I can't think of anything) - I could only think of the Microsoft Word paperclip. I know, it's lame.

Virus (Shouldn't need to be explained. Some people have had Mr. Burns from the Simpsons the virus, or Newman from Seinfeld. But, I would like mine to relate to animals, as somehow I chose that theme) - (I haven't come up with anything. What would be like the "enemy" to animals, other than humans? :D )

Antibody-secreting plasma cells (A really hard one for an animal theme. They are basically cells that secrete antibodies, which look like "Y's." I plan on drawing the anitbodies like "Y's" in my presentation, so I don't know what would be a good choice here) - I could only come up with a box with a bunch of Y's tossed in.

Virgin/Activated B cells (A hard one to define. Their primitive function is to become stimulated by a chemical (interleukins), which causes them to divide and differentiate a lot. They differentiate into memory cells and antibody-secreting plasma cells. So, it would kind of be like the "mother" of antibody-secreting plasma cells and memory cells) - (I haven't thought of anything good, yet. I could only come up with a queen bee, but I don't know if that's good)

So, I need some help with some suggestions for things to represent these cells. Hopefully you can get the jist of them all from the text I wrote as a description and can think of something (should be animal related). Thanks.

Note: I am particularly looking for some help with the Virus, Virgin/Activated B cells, and the antibody-secreting plasma cells.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always love these projects. Anyway here's a couple of suggestions...

Political take:

Virus - George Bush
Virgin cells - John Kerry
Secreting plasma cells - Fox News

Zoo take:

Virus - Crocodile
Virgin cells - Mongoose/Anteater
Secreting plasma cells - Termites?

What's the name of that really small fish that enters the mouth of really huge fish (Like sharks or something) and clean their teeth? I remember seeing it frequently on Discovery and TLC. Does anybody know what it is? I plan on using it for the Helper T cells.
For the virus, I'm thinking grabage or trash. As I really need to distinguish "bad guys" from "good guys;" so trash would be good, and trash is kind of like the enemy to animals, as it destroys their environment.

do the "space invaders" aliens for different types of bad cells :D
the pacman ghosts for viruses and Pacman for one of the good cells :rolleyes:

eg.
Macrophage = Pacman
Virus = Ghost
Macrophage ingests Virus

So, nobody knows the name of the one fish that cleans the teeth (By eating the things on them) of other, bigger fish?

Macrophage = Pacman
Virus = Ghost

But I what would I use for the other cells?

Virgin/Activated B cells = Princess Daisy
Antibody-secreting plasma cells = Space Invaders bad guys (shooting Ys at stuff)
Helper T Cells = Mr T helping out everyone
Cytotoxic T cells = space invaders good guy
Memory Cells = krang from TMNT (I think his name was krang, he was a giant brain)

most of these characters you will be able to find pics on the net or rip screen shots from games...

Just a thought although a silly one :D

I'm looking for some "cartoon" pictures of animals with medical attire. Like a bear with the medical cross cap or coat. I'm thinking of having them as the helper T cells. I realized I need supressor T cells, which calm the immune system down after the invader has been destroyed. Any animal ideas for the supressor T cells?

EDIT: This is what I have so far:
The Immune system:
Macrophage:
bear_copy.gif

B cell:
bee_copy.gif

Memory Cell:
Brain_copy.gif

Cytotoxic T cell:
eel_copy.gif

Antibody-secreting plasma cell:
skunk_copy.gif

The Invader:
Virus:
garbage_copy.gif

I just need the Helper T cell and Supressor T cell now.

Attachments

• bear_copy.gif
    bear_copy.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 147
  • bear_copy.gif
    bear_copy.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 137
  • bee_copy.gif
    bee_copy.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 139
  • bee_copy.gif
    bee_copy.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Brain_copy.gif
    Brain_copy.gif
    8 KB · Views: 142
  • Brain_copy.gif
    Brain_copy.gif
    8 KB · Views: 141
  • eel_copy.gif
    eel_copy.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 128
  • eel_copy.gif
    eel_copy.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 133
  • skunk_copy.gif
    skunk_copy.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 133
  • garbage_copy.gif
    garbage_copy.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 123
  • skunk_copy.gif
    skunk_copy.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 135
  • garbage_copy.gif
    garbage_copy.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 131
Azure posted on May 21 2004 at 03:30 AM said:
What's the name of that really small fish that enters the mouth of really huge fish (Like sharks or something) and clean their teeth? I remember seeing it frequently on Discovery and TLC. Does anybody know what it is? I plan on using it for the Helper T cells.
For the virus, I'm thinking grabage or trash. As I really need to distinguish "bad guys" from "good guys;" so trash would be good, and trash is kind of like the enemy to animals, as it destroys their environment.
Ain't that a surgeon fish?

Hmm...even if that is it, finding a good picture would be hard. Any other animal ideas for helper T cells and surpressor T cells? I'm thinking of a vet for the helper T cells, but I can't find a good "cartoony" picture in which a vet is alone and can be distinguished as a vet.

EDIT: What do you guys think of this (for the Helper T cells):
vet_copy.gif

If this is good, all I need then is the surpressor T cell (Calms the whole immune system down back to normal after the virus or bacteria has been defeated), but I have no idea on what animal would be good for it (I first thought of a sloth, but that would barely work).

Attachments

• vet_copy.gif
    vet_copy.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 135
  • vet_copy.gif
    vet_copy.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 126
What about Dr Mario?:
dr.marioo.jpg

lol: While searching google for Dr. Mario pics I found loads of pics of real Dr Marios.

Attachments

• dr.marioo.jpg
    dr.marioo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 141
  • dr.marioo.jpg
    dr.marioo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 144
pubjoe posted on May 27 2004 at 02:04 AM said:
What about Dr Mario?:
dr.marioo.jpg

lol: While searching google for Dr. Mario pics I found loads of pics of real Dr Marios.
I've decided to stick with animals.

So, any ideas for supressor T cells? I'm thinking a tranquilizer dart would be great, but I can't find any good pictures of one (Help).

Attachments

• dr.marioo.jpg
    dr.marioo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 132
  • dr.marioo.jpg
    dr.marioo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 137
Back