My Sd Card Slot Has Failed Me

Sejez

Still Fresh
So I recently found my GP2X on a shelf gathering dust, after fiddling with it for a bit I remembered why I had left it there, the unit had been working without a hitch for about half a year before the SD card slot suddenly stopped working, I have tried several different SD cards of different brands and sizes, the unit wont read anything. I even tried to access the SD card trough USB in the vain hope that it would work with no success.

I have no clue on how to go about this, I can't even determine if the problem is caused by faulty hardware or software, the system works normally otherwise the built in games run as they should. The system just runs as if there is no SD card inserted at all, no matter what I try.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I've been snooping around for abit in hopes of finding some info on how to fix my problem. And my gut feeling tells me that the problem is software based. So I wanna test if Flashing the NAND would help with my problem, to my understanding I need some kind of Jtag setup to communicate with the device trough the EXT port. I wonder then, what is the cheapest setup I can get away with that can do the job properly?

You should try getting access over telnet or ssh via USB or UART. If you have a terminal you won't have to use JTAG to flash the NAND. You should also be able to copy files to the NAND through USB mass storage device, in order to prepare for this. Of course, if you're flashing the whole NAND you'll have to store what you're flashing on memory (tmpfs or something), and you might have to do it in a few chunks.

One of my GP2Xs doesn't have working SD and it gets along sort of okay. Between it and the one I have with no USB it forms sort of a complete unit :c

I have always found the build kwality, on the GP2X lacking, as I remember the SD slot on one of mine went flaky once. So I opened it up to find some part from one of the rubber socket covers broke off and fell in. I was in the process of opening one up to take some pics to show how the physical layout is in case it was a similar fault with something inside, only to find the parts I wanted to take a picture of, spring out and disappear (... ho hum), then to find my camera was non working, in any case. Well I put the GP back together the SD slot is now no longer sprung, but it still works.

Sorry to add nothing of substance to this thread.

Back