N-Gage VS GP32

Tsyayin

Still Fresh
:eek: Some how i found the new Nokia portable game system... I have no idea whether it's better than gp32 or not though... It has built in blue tooth and backlight though... I'd like to get it to see! in the specs page at their website, it gave all this info and stuff, but no processor speed or technical/hardware details... It makes me wonder so BAD! If anyone has any other info or wants to say something, say it here. ;)
The website is www.n-gage.com

Actually, there are screenshots!!!!!!
there's an E3 expo page with tony hawk screens in FULL 3D
A good thing is it's symbian OS so there might be emuls too!
im gonna have to add this one to my collection for sure

Ya, I already seen it a few months ago...I was going to get that until I found out about the starting price...500$, ouch. Then I kept searching, and found gamepark.

I would rather have a helix than n-gage. From what ive seen between both handhelds, helix ran games better. And I would like a gp32 most of all, wait...I already do...Im happy :)

The nGage would be a no-brainer if it cost less than $500. I have a cell phone already and can think of alot of other gadgets I would rather have for that much cash. I don't think it will do that well, but it is a good look at the future. Someday they will be giving away phones that can do this sort of stuff. I can imagine a day only a couple years of were people are riding the train/bus and playing multiplayer games with tons of other people. People missing their stop because they are on an EverQuest "raid" :)

The only reason it costs that much, is because its also a cell phone. So if you dont already have a service, it will cost that much.

wow the tony hawk screens look pretty impresive. I dig the gba version of tonyhawk and i thought that looked pretty good but its nothing compared to this. The system looks sweet but I am a huge retro gaming fan so I still think the gp32 was the right decision for me.

i played around with ngage at E3 yesterday. the screen was --tiny-- and the display it wa ssetup at was VERY uncomfortable, so it was hard to get a handle on. also the interface/control setup was quite unorthodox and unintuitive. (but, it was backlit!) I only played the motoGP game on it and wa sunimpresse.d don't write it off yet due to my 5 minutes of 1st impression of it.. it didn't touch the GP32 (or GBA) as far as FUN goes though, at least for me!

the graphics look really nice but from the pics i have seen of it the screen does look really really small. As well since it is a phone too the button layout does look weird. I don't think I will ever buy one, I have a crappy cell phone which i use as my one and only phone and it does everything I need it to. I have the gp32 for games and a min disc player for music. So I ammore than prepared for moble communication / entertainment. I would be interested to try one out but I will never ever own one.

Looking at the technical specifications it seems to be less powerful compared to the GP32.

CPU:
N-Gage - 104MHz ARM9
GP32 - 133MHz ARM9

Screen:
N-Gage - 176x202 (or something like that, can't recall exactly)
GP32 - 320x240

Well, you do have to bear in mind that our 133MHz mode is overclocked; perhaps their max safe overclock is 202MHz? Of course, overclocking on a handheld is a little unorthodox (GP32 is the first that's allowed software to do it, to my knowledge) so it might end up less powerful overall...

How about ram? What does it have there?
And does it have an FPU...?

Personally, I think it does look good, and apart from the small screen, would be a worthy addition to the market. But that screen would really get on my nerves - especially after playing on the GP32...
I'd buy the GPi over it any day. Especially if Gamepark decide to make a small upgrade to the GP32 bits of it and stick an FPU and a bit more ram in :) (they prolly won't, but I can hope)

- Screen too small
- Need a contract to get one even vaguely cheap
- nasty shape
- phonecalls interrupt games :(

etc
etc

I'll keep with me GP32 and my PocketPC XDA phone thingy...

Tobriand posted on May 16 2003 said:
Well, you do have to bear in mind that our 133MHz mode is overclocked;
Afaik 133(-1)MHz is not overclocked on GP32.. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
u forget one thing, those game r downloadable by your operator, so first, depending on your operator u won't have the same game, and second, man game cost a lot on phone! i mean ok the game is about 3dollars, but there's like 3level, then u have to download the others for like 1or2 dollars, on a game park game can go up to 14dollars but at least they r complete, and games at that price mostly rocks! on a phone it's hard to tell, unless they're gonna release some demos.oh and have you ever stocked your cell phone game on your computer? i mean, u know what happens on a phone when u don't have room left for another game, u just erase a game, and voila! 5bucks out!so that's what i'm saying, buy one of these small cell phone for 10bucks then buy a gp32, tape them, and u get a super n-gage for 170bucks!

N-gage conclusion from gamespot.com
We're not out to kill the N-Gage before it's even had a chance to arrive in stores, but the simple fact is that, like any gaming platform, its success will depend largely on the quality of the software available for it. At the moment, Nintendo's GBA SP and even conventional cell phones with their own minigames have nothing to worry about.

And in another quote from gamespot.com here is the price <_<
Nokia has announced that it will release the N-Gage in major US retailers this October. The device will carry a suggested retail price of $299, in line with many feature-laden cell phones, while games will cost $30 to $40. The N-Gage devices and game cards will be sold at retailers including Best Buy, Circuit City, Electronics Boutique, GameStop, and Target.

Hawkez posted on May 16 2003 said:
The nGage would be a no-brainer if it cost less than $500.
What would it be if it cost more ? :D

Also, the N-Gage seems to be a phone with some gimmicky second rate game 'ports' available for it, nothing special and certainly not a forerunner in the handheld wars to come...

- Rico

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard $299 as well from idg.se, which is really not a bad price considering you get a phone as well.

Just a bad point for N-Gage: you have to open the phone and extract batteries to put the games :(

Back