N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackModford

I would start a poll but I can't seem to...
How many people are interested in N64 emulation?

If I did a poll it would be this.
  • Must Have!
  • Wouldn't mind having
  • Don't Want

Maybe if it's fast. I can't get acceptable framerates from Mugen [I think it was] on my laptop even with the clock speed all the way up to 2 Ghz. Maybe the 64-bit packages just suck.

If it's comparable to an actual N64 on many games, then I'd be interested, but probably not enough to pay or contribute. I don't care a whole lot for the N64, and I know nothing about writing emus.

lulzfish said:
Maybe if it's fast. I can't get acceptable framerates from Mugen [I think it was] on my laptop even with the clock speed all the way up to 2 Ghz. Maybe the 64-bit packages just suck.

If it's comparable to an actual N64 on many games, then I'd be interested, but probably not enough to pay or contribute. I don't care a whole lot for the N64, and I know nothing about writing emus.
I got very playable speeds on my EEE701!

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
The PSP can handle Mario 64 pretty good, sometimes in some places its slower then fullspeed, sometimes it's too fast. The Pandora is roughly 4 times more powerful according to processor benchmarks. You do the math ;)
Don't quote me, but I think the emulation is help along by the fact is uses similar chips, easing off the emulation.

lulzfish said:
Well, I was using the straight interpreter, since the re-compiling engine or whatever kept crashing.

What emulator are you using?
Project64

The N64 would be a great console to emulate on the Pandora, as you can get high quality games which are relatively smaller in size to the Playstation One counterparts by quite a big size, you could easily fill a 16GB SDHC with just a handful of Playstation One games, compared to tons of N64 games.

Unfortunately I would not hold out for a decent N64 port, as soon as the Pandora is released, its going to take the community around 6-12 months for first wave of emulators followed I'd expect by decent emulation in around 12 months

What exactly is the major difficulty in creating an N64 emulator for ARM processors?
Or is it just like any other system emulation?

Greets

MDave said:
The PSP can handle Mario 64 pretty good, sometimes in some places its slower then fullspeed, sometimes it's too fast. The Pandora is roughly 4 times more powerful according to processor benchmarks. You do the math ;)
Don't quote me, but I think the emulation is help along by the fact is uses similar chips, easing off the emulation.

PS1 uses the same base architecture as n64, MIPS. That runs fine on pandora, no? ;)

It's kind of funny really. Homebrew developers struggled to get PS1 emulators working at any playable speed (until Sony made their own emulator) on the PSP. N64 emulation came further along then the homebrew variant of PS1 emualtion.

Pandora already has a fullspeed PS1 emulator (before the thing is even released!) This should be a good indicator of what to expect :p

i would love to be able to play zelda 64 and mario kart on the pandora, it took awhile to see psx on the gp2x so would be likely we will have to wait awhile

What actually is the point of a poll like that? Who would not want a n64 emulator? Even though there might be some people that rather want to play C64 all day long and never touch a thing like a PSX or a N64, they'd still vote for "wouldn't mind having". Noone would be touching the last option.

I'm going to go ahead and vote "DO NOT WANT!" just to be contrary and prove you wrong :p

lulzfish said:

You're thinking of Mupen64. Mugen is an excellent fighting game that many people would love to see ported to other systems, but will have to do with clones, because the source for it is not open.

RajTakhar said:
The N64 would be a great console to emulate on the Pandora, as you can get high quality games which are relatively smaller in size to the Playstation One counterparts by quite a big size, you could easily fill a 16GB SDHC with just a handful of Playstation One games, compared to tons of N64 games.

Unfortunately I would not hold out for a decent N64 port, as soon as the Pandora is released, its going to take the community around 6-12 months for first wave of emulators followed I'd expect by decent emulation in around 12 months
I expect N64 emulation, but I don't expect it within the first 4 months of launch at least. Because for N64 emulation, we need a competent dev who is willing to put some time into coding an emu.

MDave said:
MDave said:

PS1 uses the same base architecture as n64, MIPS. That runs fine on pandora, no? ;)

It's kind of funny really. Homebrew developers struggled to get PS1 emulators working at any playable speed (until Sony made their own emulator) on the PSP. N64 emulation came further along then the homebrew variant of PS1 emualtion.

Pandora already has a fullspeed PS1 emulator (before the thing is even released!) This should be a good indicator of what to expect :p

?_? I thought psx4all ran fine on the PSP...

-God Ginrai

MDave said:
There is no psx4all on PSP ...
From the "About" page on ZodTTD.com:

I began the psx4all project and I wrote a dynamic recompiler to improve performance of the emulation on ARM devices. Luckily Unai was able to write the software rendering GPU for the emulator which also gave a massive speed increase. Others such as Chui, Tinnus, Franxis, and hlide all helped improve the project. We even ported it to the PSP before Yoshihiro and Sony got to it.

Oh really?

-God Ginrai

MDave said:
MDave said:

The same thing happened with PC's back during the late 90's. Connectex blew everybody away with virtual Game Station for the mac and then the PC. A first gen imac can run it and most of the psx lib (233mhz g3, 32mb, 4mb (8?) ati graphics card). Of course Sony can make a great emulator for a machine they have all the schematics and documentation and years of programming it on a machine they have all the information on and years of programming it.
Personally, I'm not interested at all in N64 emulation. You can get the same boring 3d games without emulation. It's the older stuff you can't get modern.

Chris

christo930 said:
MDave said:
MDave said:

The same thing happened with PC's back during the late 90's. Connectex blew everybody away with virtual Game Station for the mac and then the PC. A first gen imac can run it and most of the psx lib (233mhz g3, 32mb, 4mb (8?) ati graphics card). Of course Sony can make a great emulator for a machine they have all the schematics and documentation and years of programming it on a machine they have all the information on and years of programming it.
Personally, I'm not interested at all in N64 emulation. You can get the same boring 3d games without emulation. It's the older stuff you can't get modern.

Chris

If Sony can make a good emulator, then why can't Nintendo make less buggy emus for N64? ;P

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back