N64 Emu... Not Dead On Psp?

Wow, I thought he'd dropped the project for good. I'm still very sceptical about it but he seems to think that it's possible to get decent performance out of this emulator. I'm definitely excited that the next release will include sound.

I've tried the previous version, and it is a very impressive piece of work. There are some graphical issues and wasn't quite playable speed (also no sound, of course), but I could see it becoming a very good. Hopefully he really does keep with it.

More good news..

Clearly there's a significant improvement in framerate. On average, games are running about 40% faster, but in many cases the framerate has almost doubled. Subjectively, the difference means that many games are feeling a lot more responsive and playable now. Anything over 20fps 'feels' pretty good, but my long-term goal is to get this up to 30fps for as many titles as possible.

I noticed a couple of interesting differences between the two builds when running the tests, and you can see some of these in the new screenshots. Firstly, notice that the shadows in Super Mario 64 are all nice and round. This is due to the 'mirrored texture support' that I mentioned in Thursday's update (this also fixes the star that opens over Mario's head in the title sequence).

http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

I'm looking forward to giving this a try when its released, I've never played N64 stuff before and it looks like i've been missing some good stuff :)

geo12 posted on Feb 12 2007 at 07:26 PM said:
So now I have to choose between getting a GP2X or a PSP? I need help!

The '2X will never have an N64 emu.

</help>

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2007 at 07:52 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 12 2007 at 07:29 PM said:
geo12 posted on Feb 12 2007 at 07:26 PM said:
So now I have to choose between getting a GP2X or a PSP? I need help!

The '2X will never have an N64 emu.

</help>
....Or such an excellent PSX emu, for that matter.

.... oorrrrrr, 480 x 272 AVC Encodability ... :p

What's this we shit???

... errrrm, the SNES emu is faaarrrrrr better and playable on the '2X. Word.

TelcoLou posted on Feb 12 2007 at 08:35 PM said:
What's this we shit???

True dat. Or so I hear since I'm too much of an idiot to try it out on the psp ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 13 2007 at 01:41 AM said:
What's this we shit???

True dat. Or so I hear since I'm too much of an idiot to try it out on the psp ;)

I always thought the snes emulator was bettor on the gp2x, however changed my mind since I tried snes9xTYL 0.4.2 ME.. it runs much better than the normal version

suj posted on Feb 13 2007 at 04:49 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 13 2007 at 01:41 AM said:
What's this we shit???

I always thought the snes emulator was bettor on the gp2x, however changed my mind since I tried snes9xTYL 0.4.2 ME.. it runs much better than the normal version
Yes, if you enjoy emulators that don't run quite fast enough.

shinneri posted on Feb 23 2007 at 05:08 AM said:
Yeah, sound is jerky like gpSP on GP2X right now, but there's a lot of promise here. I don't think he has frameskip in this emu yet, which I think could help a lot.
I wonder if frameskip is going to be a great help. Surely emulating that 93Mhz CPU is eating up most?/alot? of the time on the 333Mhz PSP.
Using the Media Engine may help though, perhaps for the sound. Ideally use it for the video chip, but I'm not sure if the PSP architecture has bandwidth problems like the GP2X?

Back