N64 emulation reach the awesome levels of PCSX?

lobski

r14 of PCSX has been amazing, pretty much runs all games at fullspeed.

But n64 is still somewhat lacking, and emulation development is very immature. I'm wondering if n64 emulation will reach PCSX-level of awesome soon?

It also depends what you mean by 'mature'...

The N64 dynarec by Ari64 is pretty mature. However, N64 is a lot beefier than PS1, and it's pushing the limits of the Pandora's hardware.

Also, the N64 has a reprogrammable GPU, and most N64 GPU plugins use HLE. That means that you're not going to get perfect graphics emulation on all N64 games, and the gles2n64 graphics plugin doesn't support the ucodes for all games.

Future N64 emulation improvement will most likely come from improvements to gles2n64 or the addition of other gpu plugins. Porting mupen64plus 2, which is being discussed in other threads isn't going to really improve much.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i hope they can fix N64 emulation. all my games just arent playable. i gave up w/this emulator. i really like the pros to take a look at N64 and fix it.

yes i hope they can fix N64 emulation. all my games just arent playable. i gave up w/this emulator. i really like the pros to take a look at N64 and fix it.

Quite a few games are playable or even close to full speed, but frameskip (which is enabled by default) seems to slow things down. Try disabling frameskip; it makes some games MUCH better.

I have no doubt N64 will run nerly as good as PSX if some talented hackers (like Notaz) would work on Mupen 64.

I had so much hope in Stradian's Mupen 64 2 and I still have. Hopefully he'll find time to finish his project and surprise us all with great improvements.

GO STRADIAN. :D

Depends, are you a rad enough dude to code your own n64 emulator? or are you asking if there is somebody actively working on the application?

The problem definitely is the gles-Plugin. Aris Dynarec rocks!

There's no speed difference running games with 800 or 1200 MHz, so the bottleneck is not the CPU.

I know I want to play Animal Forest on the go with a translation patch so badly !!!!!!!!! ( please note I have no idea why I want to play this game on the go it just seems epic ! )

I've looked around a bit, probably not as much as I should have, but how do I donate to Aria64 directly?

Is ari64 even still working on it? He likes to work feverishly and magically reappear with a lot of work done, but I don't know anyone knows what his current project is (if any).

well you are using pretty much the same dynarec in pcsx rearmed if i recall correctly. The dynarec really is awesome.

well you are using pretty much the same dynarec in pcsx rearmed if i recall correctly. The dynarec really is awesome.

That's what I thought, which is why I wondered how applicable it may be to something like nullDC.

Back