Nds Lite And Flashcart Stuff - How Does It Work?

Vollgasasi

Hi guys! i own a nds and i want to be able to use it for homebrew and game ...eh..backups. :) and no i don't want to pirate! really i own 5 ds games already and many gba games! i just wanted to test out some .. eh ...backups like the resident evil one and wanna know if it's worth purchasing (because i played the ps one original and wanna know if its different) ya and homebrew of course like rts remakes (command and conquer and stuff - touch control yay!)

so guys please tell me: how does it work? what do i need? i'm a total noob and i need a step by step guy with what to buy and how to set up!

thanks a lot

You need some form of flash card: M3 or Supercard are the most commonly used since they use SD cards to store the homebrew.

You also need a passme... the type of passme is defferent depending on how new your DS is. Since you have a Lite you'll need a passme2 or newer.

In order to play homebrew/backups you have to have the passme inserted and it will automatically take you to your flash cards menu screen, where you choose your game/homebrew.

The passme2 needs programming to a specific game. You can flash the NDS with the flashme firmware and thus eleviate the need to use the passme2.

The passme2 needs programming to a specific game. You can flash the NDS with the flashme firmware and thus eleviate the need to use the passme2.
Or get a passkey 3, which doesn't need any specific programing (IIRC) and doesn't stick out of the NDS cartridge slot either.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don´t need a passme, if you have the right WIFI card (cheaper than a passme) you´ll be able to flash a new firmware called flashme on your DS which will do the job just as fine and isn´t as blocky as a passme.

uh...now i'm even more confused than i was before i guess....

what do you mean by WIFI card? a wifi card for the ds? or a card in my laptop/pc? i don't quite get what you mean fishbong.

so the flashcart goes into the gba slot right? and can be fead with sd cards? that would be just awesome. and i prefer a solution that doesn't stick out - is made for the ds lite.

so the biggest problem with ds homebrew is that passme/flashme stuff? is that right?

The wifi card is for your PC. I never used that method so I don't know how you go about making it work. Mainly because I never could get hold of a compatible card.

The main obstacle to get around is the PassMe/flashme stuff yes. I HIGHLY recommend you flash your DS if you can as it means you will no longer have to use the PassMe or WifiMe to play homebrew.

Be aware, though -- once you've flashed your DS Lite there's no way of going back as there's no downgrader for newer firmware DSL's. Personally I see no reason to flash -- you'll be able to do anything someone with a flashed unit is using a passkey, plus sleep mode will work fine. You also won't have to void your warranty installing FlashMe.

so flahing ds will result in the same thing as inserting the passme cart in the ds cart slot right? if yes i'll use the passme method. i'm fine with inserting the passmecart along with the flashcart in the gba slot.

and the passme cart takes me to the gba flashcart 'menu' right when switchting on the ds?

Yeah you've got the right idea. I personally was relieved to get my DS flashed since it was nuisance to have the passme and an NDS game hangin out of the top of my NDS while using it on the move.

are there no passme solutions that don't stick out? and what would be the best combo to buy? what i want is:

something that preferably dosn't stick out of the dslite
something that accepts sd cards as storage

You can get M3 and Supercards designed for the Lite...
As for the passmes ... I'm not sure, but I think the newest passme3s are a complete solution and are just like a NDS card. they click into place and are flush with the system and don't require an actual NDS game inserted in them.

yes... although that supercard is for a normal DS you can get one designed for the DSLite that is slimmer.

Ah never mind. You said you wanted to us SD... for the smaller/slimmer SC you have to use mini/microSD

The Passcard and Super Key don't stick out, they fit in the NDS cartridge slot without any problems.

Using the SD Supercard or M3 will make the device stick out a bit on a DS Lite but I doubt it's all that bad. I have the M3 CF and it doesn't bother me much sticking out of my regular DS or my GBM.

it shouldn't stick out more than a gba card right? that would be fine with me. so would getting the first 2 i mentioned make me play nds backups? if yes how do i do it? copy the backup on the sd and select it via a browser?

ok cool i guess i will order my supercard superkey tomorrow then!

anything i have to do with the backups to make them run?

Back