Need HELP + SMC readers?

S

sebastian_insua

Yesterday, I bought a GP32. However, as i bought it from GbaX it came preloaded
with multifirmware and had apparantly already been registered.
I connected it to my pc and my pc detected a new device, i chose the drivers that had been given to me
bygbax.com in a cd and it installed the drivers.

However now if i go into control panel>System>Device manager>universal serial bus controller>
i can see an icon saying 'Gamepark GP32 USB' that has an exclamation mark next to it.
If i open Gamepark GP32 USB's properties under deice status it says:

"The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the
device driver. (code 2)
To fix this, click update driver to update the device driver."

If i try to update the driver adn choose for example the same usb driver
downloaded from the english gamepark site, the same thing will happen (the same error
is there no matter what i do).

My USB scanner works so it cannot be a broken USB port... (ive tried swapping them)
Last night i did a clean install of windows and i tried the GP32 as soon
as windows started for the first time and i still had the same problem...

If i try to use the Gp32 link program i get a 'USB error Check PC-link application'.

What shall I do send it back?
i thought maybe i should get a smc card writer, but do those all work with GP32 and can they do everything a Gp32link program can do.
And i dont particularly want to buy a card writer as it should work anyway, i can't see why i should have to pay for it.

Check Skop's post on http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=6108

as well as it is related (only he seems to have broken his USB ports in he process as well)!!!

I think it may be a problem with either Windows 98, or the hardware of my USB port (but it still works with my scanner).

If i get a SMC card reader/writer (which one would be best), can you use it to change the firmware of your GP32 or is this impossible unless you are able to conect the GP32 directly to the PC...

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason i want to know about whether you can change firmware is that, i want ot be able to keep ub to date as more uptodate versions of windups come out.

I think it may be a problem with either Windows 98, or the hardware of my USB port (but it still works with my scanner).

If i get a SMC card reader/writer (which one would be best), can you use it to change the firmware of your GP32 or is this impossible unless you are able to conect the GP32 directly to the PC...
Most people running into this problem seem to be running 98 so you might be right. I wonder if the people with this problem are running 98 while those without problems are running 98SE. A lot of hardware and drivers that SHOULD work with 98 only work with 98SE.

Get that SMC writer. You already have multifirmware so you can already run all software and upgrade your firmware if you want to (just don't go back to just the original firmware) SMC writers are faster and way easier to use.

Just get the GP Package Extractor and you will be able to install everything you need with your SMC writer. I have not used my link-cable ever since getting mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo!!!

I finally got my GP32 at about 9.00 on saturday....
I fixed my USB scanner, searched my pc for all the drivers to do with GP32 nad deleted them, then i connected the GP32 and went onto the PC-Link my PC installed the GP32 as a USB device which i promptly removed from my device manager.
I then repeated the process again and this time it asked for drivers, in which case i supplied it with the GP32 drivers i downloaded from the internet from some place (w98.zip)....
And it finally worked!!!

I think it is paramount that on Windows 98:
1. don't right-click on the drivers and select install instead wait for it to ask you to supply them.
2. Make sure that other USB devices are working (in the port you are going to use for the GP32).
3. you need a lot of patience asi f you muck up Windows 98 it is very difficult to get it up and running again!

Thnaks for the help everybody, now it is only SKOP who has a problem (i think his is only a bit worse than mine, just that his usb port drivers are now also mucked up, he should probably bakup and then reinstall windows 98).

Back