Need Help Thinking Of A Gp2x Related Dissertation!

xafier

Website
www.xafiers-home.com
I will be starting my final year at University this September and part of my final year is a 10,000+ word dissertation researching a computer related system or idea and then creating a design for the system/idea... obviously for someone on a software engineering course like me it's best just to create a prototype or complete application rather than a full blown system design on paper with UML diagrams and pseudo code etc...

I've almost decided now not to do my original idea that revolved around DSP and modeling guitar amps and effects in software (on an x86 PC) as there are already enough products in the market to do that and also there's a hell of a lot to learn math wise with DSP and using FFT's and such...

So now I'm stuck for ideas, and if I'm not going to base it on my love for guitar playing then I might as well try and do something GP2X related :D

So if anyone can think of something the GP2X needs that application or OS related and might make a decent dissertation project (so I'm basically aiming this at the older people here that have done degrees etc) then I'd welcome any suggestions...

Things I don't want mentioning (unless it's something profoundly different to the norm):
  • emulators of any kind for a console... probably too much work or not enough work, its been done before for other platforms, its not niche enough to be a dissertation...
  • porting a game... similar to above...
I have experiance in C++ although it's been over a year since I coded in it properly so I'm most likely very rusty, but I will be aiming to do my coding in this, also a possibility of ARM assembly would be nice too, looks fancy, will show I've put effort into learning something new and can write a load about profiling and optimization methods and such :)

thanks for any good ideas people come up with :)

Jarska333 posted on May 14 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
A quitar tuner application? There are few for PC, not sure if they need some form of audio-in, a microphone, to be precise.

would need an audio input yeah ;) which the GP2X doesn't have... think I'm just going to stay clear of anything audio related! GP2X all the way :D

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on May 14 2006 at 05:40 AM said:
A driver for something. Like SDIO WiFi. Goddamnit we need that.

Is there is even sufficient current to the SD card slot to power an 802.11x transmitter? It's going to annihilate battery life, at any rate. It wiped the floor with my PocketPCs' battery life, I can only imagine what it'll do to 2 NiMH AA's.

My friend and I wrote a music teaching system and developed hardware to do this with cheap non midi hardware.

We used an frequency to voltage converter and AtoD to read in notes from the headphone socket, record and then play back on screen in notation form. It was all written in Pascal (from memory)

This was in the days before China entered the electronic market and schools could not afford music equipment.

It was a fun and challenging project.

Regarding GP2x - you could do something with the usb breakout box to add some hardware, write a driver

p.s. Music is on an exponential scale, don't run out of scale like we did - lol

Wasn't gpAdvance a university project? Maybe you could try writing a new gba that utilises native arm instructions :p
(Don't flame me please, I'm just joking..........partially)

FluffyPanda posted on May 15 2006 at 09:09 AM said:
I think a menu replacement would make an excellent project.

I was thinking of a desktop like menu... ie similar to Windups on GP32... although that was going to be a personal project... I'm not totally sure if there's enough involved for a dissertation... a nice idea though :)

Also the GBA thing... thats probably the only possibly emulation thing worth attempting due to the research involved in writing an emulator with a system that utilizes a similar main core... but highly doubtful I'll do it so don't get your hopes up ;)

Not a GP2X project, but I guess you could do a pretty cool virtual guitar, or other live music instrument with the touchscreen of the Nintendo DS (with live feedback on the two screens).

A decent E-book reader, along the lines of justreader but not QT dependant.
Supporting open e book standards and HTML and PDB.
How about that? Not contentious at all and I'd really appreciate it!
GP2X VTex seems like a good start, might guide you on the way

Gaijin posted on May 15 2006 at 07:58 PM said:
A decent E-book reader, along the lines of justreader but not QT dependant.
Supporting open e book standards and HTML and PDB.
How about that? Not contentious at all and I'd really appreciate it!
GP2X VTex seems like a good start, might guide you on the way

Yeah! Just what the Gp2x needs.

Back