Needed! Artist - Very Little Work Needed - Due Credit Given!

Mookmac

Still Fresh
Website
www.mookie.the-buccaneer.co.uk
Hi everyone,

I'm currently developing a Peg Ball clone (www.pegball.com) for GP2X. I need someone to create some sprites for me as my artisic skills are not great lol! All that would be needed is:
title screen
(all top down view):
player sprite (one for blue team one for red team)
pitch
goal
ball

I have most of the basic code done already and am planning to put out a release of a very limited version with touchscreen controls only and multiplayer only (2 players on one console). I will use this release to find bugs and see if theres any interest in expanding the game. I am very interested in broadening the scope of the game; AI, leagues, cups, etc a possibility.

So if you are interested in creating something post back here and i will send u the exact requirements (sprite size etc). your name will be added to the credits if i use your artwork!

Cheers everyone!

Mookmac said:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently developing a Peg Ball clone (www.pegball.com) for GP2X. I need someone to create some sprites for me as my artisic skills are not great lol! All that would be needed is:
title screen
(all top down view):
player sprite (one for blue team one for red team)
pitch
goal
ball

I have most of the basic code done already and am planning to put out a release of a very limited version with touchscreen controls only and multiplayer only (2 players on one console). I will use this release to find bugs and see if theres any interest in expanding the game. I am very interested in broadening the scope of the game; AI, leagues, cups, etc a possibility.

So if you are interested in creating something post back here and i will send u the exact requirements (sprite size etc). your name will be added to the credits if i use your artwork!

Also if anyone has a full version of GLBasic and could compile this game without the watermark then please contact me, you will get your name in the credits! :D

Cheers everyone!
My advice : make placeholder sprites, and release a fully working and playable version of your game, and also make sure the sprites are easy to edit (as in, make them be .png's in a folder)

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
My advice : make placeholder sprites, and release a fully working and playable version of your game, and also make sure the sprites are easy to edit (as in, make them be .png's in a folder)
No no no no no no no. That's one of the worst things you could do. The success of a game depends very much on first impressions. By all means complete the game with placeholder sprites, but don't release it until it's graphically good. If necessary, finish the game and offer it to an artist who is willing to replace the sprites. That's probably the best way to do it - once they see the finished product they'll be more inclined to help.

Don't release it without good sprites if you think they're integral to the game! (which they usually are, graphics can make the difference between an amateur-looking game and one that looks professional and proper)

nickspoon said:
A_SN said:
No no no no no no no. That's one of the worst things you could do. The success of a game depends very much on first impressions. By all means complete the game with placeholder sprites, but don't release it until it's graphically good. If necessary, finish the game and offer it to an artist who is willing to replace the sprites. That's probably the best way to do it - once they see the finished product they'll be more inclined to help.

Don't release it without good sprites if you think they're integral to the game! (which they usually are, graphics can make the difference between an amateur-looking game and one that looks professional and proper)

Yes my graphics atm are very basic. I'm really not good at drawing sprites. All I need is a simple top-down view of a player and that's it. I've managed to put togeather a title screen and better ball sprite. But currently all I have is a circle of colour (blue for one team, red for the other) for the player sprite. I really want to make the first release of the game avaliable but I think if people see a screenshot of it atm they'll be rather put off playing it.

If anyone can quickly do a 18x18 pixel sprite that could be used as a top-down view of a player that'd be great!! I'll put your name in the credits! I'm not looking for photorealism just something better than a blob of colour lol!

I could do them for you, no problem. Just send me details and I'll get to work right away! :)

Mookmac said:
Also if anyone has a full version of GLBasic and could compile this game without the watermark then please contact me, you will get your name in the credits! :D

Sorry to be a party pooper, but did no-one else have any issue with the above request? Isn't there a reason why free demos are limited?

Ok thanks to everyone who has offered to help. What I need atm is a sprite for a player (top-down view) 18x18. I need one for the blue team and one for the red team. If you could send them to alexmacveanAThotmailDOTcom that'd be great. Whichever I like best I'll use and then I'll put your name in the credits as the artist for the game. The first release is basically ready, I just need some better sprites and then I'll put it out for everyone to try.

If you're want my background isn't the greatest. I need a top-down view of a soccer pitch (320x240). Also you could design a new sprite for the goal, no specific size set for this one just best to keep it quite small (the current placeholder is (3x19) this can be changed easily tho.

Thanks to everyone!

You've got mail :) If you allow me, I could post the preview graphics for others to see?

Edit: I've gotten permission, this is a preview image (it does not reflect final graphics and/or gameplay):

preview_image.gif

Right I have 2 title screens to choose from, if anyone could voice an opinion that'd be handy:

titlescreen.gif

splash.png

Also I should have this game ready for its first release in the next few days. The first release will probably be F200 only, with support for 2 players on one console only. If the game gathers enough interest I will proceed to add to it.

I prefer the second one graphically, but I'm not such a fan of the font chosen.

In contrast, the first one doesn't look quite as pretty in terms of background, but the font, ball, and background as a unit are more congruous than the second.

I think the first one is better graphically but it doen't really look like a title screen, more like a menu layout (too much empty space). Maybe the first one with a few "peg players" would be great.

Use the 2nd image, but with a thicker sans-serif font and perhaps the ball from the first logo, resized to be smaller and placed to the left of "2X". The in-game mockup Kenney made looks very nice and clean :)

I just tried the pegball.com game and this will be a great addition to the GP2X library. I hope you'll find the support and motivation to add AI and F-100 controls :)

To me, the second image (i mean the background image) is too "real" for a pegball game. If you use it anyway, you should do something about the font and the ball, which looks like a plastic beach ball (white / blue ?). Also, it's difficult to say which one is better without seeing the other game gaphics.

Ok here is a screenshot from a recent build of the game, I've had an issue with GLBasic not liking the png transparencies so the goals are not displaying correctly. I'm also considering doing something a little more interesting with the scorce display before I release the first version.

screen.png

Opinions welcome!

Well for my titlescreen I thought there would be a menu or button instructions so that's why mine is kind of empty :) The screenshot looks great, I'll be redoing the goals tomorrow and maybe a new titlescreen.

Version 2 of my titlescreen:
titlescreen_v2.png

Back