Neogeocd - Sdl Port, Now Available On Dreamcast

Arutha

I believe someone was once working on an SDL port to the GP32, if it is at all up to it, would be cool to look at porting over NeoCD/SDL, a NeoGeo Cd emulator, recently ported to Dreamcast: http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/emulators.htm. Not sure on the technical details, but since it "loads" off a CD, it might not have the usual memory limitations, when I've been using the DC version, for example, it stops to load between levels.

I know the entire CD w/ audio would not fit on the SMC of the GP32, but the CDs are available ripped through P2P, the ISO portion of Metal Slug, for example, runs about 25 meg... if it could be modified to just pull the data from an SMC directory instead of looking for a CD, it might be possible to get a few great NeoGeo games going!

Anyway, just submitting the idea for consideration to some of the GP32's talented coders, those of you who don't have cool ideas or wishes can flame away!

I think its possible as the neogeo cd read at 1x speed but i think the problem is the cpu cores the neogeo uses might just run to slow on the gp32.

I'm not sure but its more of a power hog than a snes altho it doesnt have the video modes snes has it still might be impossible

:ph34r:

The NeoGeo CD had *8MB* of internal ram because of the fact it loaded from CD rather than rom (the cart system could do everything with only kilobytes of ram becasue of the instant access of the rom chips!). It's not going to be possible to emulate either the Neo or Neo CD on the GP32; it simply doesnt have enough memory.

Even then, I doubt whether the ARM9 would be up to the job of emulating the processors at an acceptable speed (it may not have mode7 of the snes, but it has its own scaling and zooming functions and throws much more sprites around than the snes ever could - I don't think the ARM9 and an essentially dumb frame buffer would be up to the job).

Excellent information, and what I was afraid of, but worth the suggestion. Thanks!

the NeoGeoCDZ doesn't actually have a 2x speed CD-drive, thats just myth which was so wildy used it somehow ended up as a fast, the CDZ has more RAM and a top loading CD-tray to save on cost.. thats about it,

Back