Release NEON (My first Indie title)

Cameleon

Website
Visit site
Hi everyone I'm announcing my first indie title everywhere right now, and there will be a Pandora version. Although the game will start life as a 2D puzzle game I will issue an updated pnd, when I get GLES playing nice with my weird data formats, which will be the full 3D game. Best of all I'm giving this version away for free (PC version is going to be ~£1.99-£2.99). It's out next Friday 26/11

NEON @ Oort Games

Please no harsh remarks, I'm trying to start making a living developing my own games for a change! Also I know it looks bland at the moment but I'm working on that.

EDIT:

To clarify the updated PND to be distributed later will be the pretty much identical to the desktop version, including Boss battles. Also No OSX support yet. I don't have a Mac to build and test on. Also lordbobjones, thats awesome thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Think your being a little critical of yourself, this looks pretty cool in my opinion.

I'm happy to see more developers out there.

This looks pretty sweet! Welcome and thanks for producing your software for the Pandora. Just to support you, when you get the Pandora version out, I will buy the PC version from ya to help get your business started.

The game looks pretty cool.

looks like a neon tetris,i was never very good at tetris =p

btw what is an "indie" game?

looks like a neon tetris,i was never very good at tetris =p

btw what is an "indie" game?

an indie game is an independently created commercial title(i.e. no publisher, everything done in-house) like Super Meat Boy, Minecraft and Cave Story. The game plays more like columns mixed with meteos rather than tetris. Thanks for all the awesome feedback. I was worried it looked like ass(to put it bluntly)

an indie game is an independently created commercial title(i.e. no publisher, everything done in-house) like Super Meat Boy, Minecraft and Cave Story. The game plays more like columns mixed with meteos rather than tetris. Thanks for all the awesome feedback. I was worried it looked like ass(to put it bluntly)

Looking very good to me - Meteos was an unsung gem as far as i was concerned, always wondered why it's gameplay mechanics weren't exploited more.

Intrigued to see what you have in store - Bring On As Much Garish Neon As Possible!, is there any music? & if so what theme are you going with? - Jeff Minter style Tempest 2000 trance etc, or something more ambient & chilled.

Many thanks for bringing this to Pandora, and the best of luck with future projects - i too will buy the PC version & encourage anyone who will listen to do the same.

Looking very good to me - Meteos was an unsung gem as far as i was concerned, always wondered why it's gameplay mechanics weren't exploited more.

Intrigued to see what you have in store - Bring On As Much Garish Neon As Possible!, is there any music? & if so what theme are you going with? - Jeff Minter style Tempest 2000 trance etc, or something more ambient & chilled.

Many thanks for bringing this to Pandora, and the best of luck with future projects - i too will buy the PC version & encourage anyone who will listen to do the same.

Going for a bit of hard electronica. the boss music will be a track called "In a Heartbeat" by Kevin MacLeod

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYxvTxKKYH8?feature=oembed

EDIT:

NEON page now updated with a test render of the game's first boss. The Nova Colossus

Need any beta testing done on this?

Unfortunately no, the basic game mechanics have been implemented since April so it's been very well tested by both myself and friends/family it's just been a push to get the business set up and find an art direction and soundtrack I was happy with. So yeah, if the week goes without any hiccups at home the game will be out on Friday with hopefully a game play video squeezed out around Tuesday (I've been very very busy last ditch hacking and tweaking *stupidly overhauling the desktop's engine..*. As well as starting work on my next game). The video will hopefully show normal game play and boss battles. They may disappoint some people, but it's a game mode that I feel happy with. I say hopefully because it's like walking on eggshells here so I'll do my best to get things out when I promise!

This sounds great, my main reason for buying a Pandora was to play independantly produced games. I can't wait to play it on my Pandora when it arrives. Will there be a donations link?

This sounds great, my main reason for buying a Pandora was to play independantly produced games. I can't wait to play it on my Pandora when it arrives. Will there be a donations link?

Hopefully, when I can get my site's CMS to play nice. I'm still trying to learn the whole web development thing...

After finishing the beta Boss code I have decided that the Boss Battles will be completely cut from NEON. The playable battle lost focus of the game and did not give a coherent game play experience. The game will be released on all platforms as a gimmick free puzzle game with multiple play modes. This will give better platform parity between PC and Pandora.

The version of the game that will be released tomorrow will have some of the aspects of the boss battles integrated in to the main game. This will mainly manifest as Power-Ups that will have the same effect as the boss attacks, i.e. block shuffle, randomise etc. I feel that this, although a bad time to realise it, is a better direction for the game as a whole as it will allow it to establish itself based on game play rather than gimmicky boss fights. My sincerest apologies to those looking forward to the fights.

So to summarise. The PC game released tomorrow will have game play identical to the Pandora version. The only difference major difference will be the control system (PC - Keyboard/Mouse, Pandora - D-Pad, Buttons/Touch screen)

Unfortunately NEON has been hindered by Kubuntu 10.10. It's killed my PC and I'm having to re-install windows and linux(not Kubuntu this time). This should take maybe a day to get everything back as it was and hopefully the game will be available late tomorrow or early Sunday...apologies. And for the record an eeePC 701 ain't great for development. Keyboard is too small

This game looks fun. Will buy the PC version as soon as i get my pandora.

Maybe I can convince you to give a highlevel report on how this game was written.

(lib choices, design desisions, code layout, ...)

I am sure many would be game programmers on this board would appreciate it!

Unfortunately NEON has been hindered by Kubuntu 10.10. It's killed my PC and I'm having to re-install windows and linux(not Kubuntu this time). This should take maybe a day to get everything back as it was and hopefully the game will be available late tomorrow or early Sunday...apologies. And for the record an eeePC 701 ain't great for development. Keyboard is too small
Yeah 701... isn't so hot... feasible but not great. My main issue was lack of on-board HDD space...

This game looks fun. Will buy the PC version as soon as i get my pandora.

Maybe I can convince you to give a highlevel report on how this game was written.

(lib choices, design desisions, code layout, ...)

I am sure many would be game programmers on this board would appreciate it!

That'd be quite cool actually, I think it would also give the non-coder folks a rare look into the development process. An insight not only on what decisions were made but why(from a development POV)...

Keep in mind that any time an ETA is given regarding the Pandora, sh!t happens. You've just kept the science alive on the software side of the house too! Nice work! :lol:

Back