NES Emulators and battery backup saves

MurcuryKnuckle

Still Fresh
For the gpFCE-GP2X and Mendafen emulators, every time I save a game that relied on battery backup on the original cartridge, it reverts to a clean slate when the ROM is loaded again. Other emulators on other systems I've used save the game in the ROM file, why not here? At first I thought it was a file permission issue, but the ROM files are set to -rwxrwxrwx so that wouldn't be the problem. gpSP, a gameboyADVANCE emulator, saves a separate file that is loaded with the ROM. Is there a NES emulator that does something like this? I would rather not have to rely on save states.

The NES emulators I have:

Mendafen - works well for me (asside from the issue I'm complaining about)

gpFCE-GP2X - doesn't handle some games very well.

NesEmu - Too slow and not configured for pandora by default

I use gpFCE-GP2X for all my NES emulation. Saving in game does work fine, on one key condition: you must exit out of gpFCE-GP2X properly.

Since it's using Ginge, you need to hit the the two angle bracket buttons (bottom left on the Pandora) which brings up the menu. Then go to exit. Don't use 'q' to quit out of the emulator; that doesn't save anything.

You shouldn't need to do anything else to save games (set file permissions and the like), just exit using the menu. Hope that helps.

Back