Network drive mapping

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
So a while ago I posted about connecting to my PC from the Pandora, which resulted in downloading Gigolo. However, to work against my PC, I needed to uninstall Windows Live Assistant. However, I can't run Super Street Fighter IV without it installed.

According to the Samba bug report, it's been fixed. Is there a possibility of updating the Samba on the Pandora? or is it possible to mount my SD cards as network drives on my Windows PC? over WiFi?

Cheers

[edit] nevermind, probably misinterpreted the question (you're talking about mounting a Windows filesystem from the Pandora, not the other way round, right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, either - just an easier way to transfer files across to my Pandora using the network. My card reader in my PC seem to jam up a lot; that's probably just me being a bit lazy in not opening the case and checking the cables. That said, sometimes I want to copy files on whilst I have something running (ie, CodeBlocks, and I want to copy some project code)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions on FileZilla, WinSCP, and win-sshfs (shame you editing the whole post out, glad it emailed me with your original post), I'll look into them. Could be handy.

Thanks

Well, either - just an easier way to transfer files across to my Pandora using the network. My card reader in my PC seem to jam up a lot; that's probably just me being a bit lazy in not opening the case and checking the cables. That said, sometimes I want to copy files on whilst I have something running (ie, CodeBlocks, and I want to copy some project code)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions on FileZilla, WinSCP, and win-sshfs (shame you editing the whole post out, glad it emailed me with your original post), I'll look into them. Could be handy.

Thanks
I don't know if I correctly understand you, but on my side, I do some Samba share (on the Pandora), and access (with Read/Write access) the file from my Windows PC directly on the Pandora, browsing media/ folder, and even editing (using Notepad++) files directly on the Pandora from Windows.

I can give you some direction to setup that if that's what you are looking for (I also have a picture of that, more or less, I a thread somewhere, the one that speak about redirecting X11 from Putty).

Ah damn - just didn't want to clutter the thread...

I don't know if I correctly understand you, but on my side, I do some Samba share (on the Pandora), and access (with Read/Write access) the file from my Windows PC directly on the Pandora, browsing media/ folder, and even editing (using Notepad++) files directly on the Pandora from Windows.
Yeah, so you could map your /media onto your Windows PC? Seems so obvious now you mention it, for some reason I only thought samba let you connect to Windows shares, not set up your own.

If you could tell me how to make /media a share, that would be great!

Can I refer to my Pandora by it's "name"? do I need to change any network config to do this?

Cheers

Ah damn - just didn't want to clutter the thread...
lol, if we were hitting 5 pages, maybe, but 2nd post?! ;)

To have Samba shares on your pandora (that can be accessed by its name), you have to:

1. Enable Samba deamon at startup (go to Settings|Startup, choose "Enable/Disable services at boot", and put a tick on "Start Samba on bootup", also, you can select Dropbear if you want to connect with Putty to your Pandora).
2. Before restarting, you have to edit the conf file of samba. From a command line, do a "sudo mousepad /etc/samba/smb.conf" (I'm a bit allergic to vi, so I prefer mousepad, but fell free to use you're prefered editor).
 * First, you need to set "guest account " to your account (I find it easier like this). So find "guest account", may be uncomment, and add a "= your_account_name"
 * You need to change  security from user to share

security = share

* Then, near the end, in the "Share Definitions" section, put that:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

and this

[Media]
   path = /media
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
nt acl support = yes

*EDIT* the last line "nt acl support" can be usefull too. Without it, my Windows7 computer gave me some "LSA is corrupted" error sometimes.

3. You'll need to restart your Pandora after that (or you can try to restart just samba deamon).

It is probably not the best way to do it, but it work well for me.

Good luck

To have Samba shares on your pandora (that can be accessed by its name), you have to:
Thanks, that's great. It's all set up, but when I enter my network path on my PC, it asks for the username and password. I enter the username of [pandora's name]\[login name] and put my Pandora user's password in, however, it keeps telling me it's not valid.

Am I missing something?

Ah yes, I think to remember that you also need to change security from user to share

Code:
  security = share

Thank you for the guide, ptitSeb, works great except for a thing, the reported free space is 0 byte, and while I don't have problems copying or creating things I have some programs that refuses to work in there because of space available...

For example with TeraCopy I always have to press "Ignore" at the beginning to start the copy, because it complains about available space...

Is there some parameter I can set to make Windows see the available space ?

Thank you for the guide, ptitSeb, works great except for a thing, the reported free space is 0 byte, and while I don't have problems copying or creating things I have some programs that refuses to work in there because of space available...

For example with TeraCopy I always have to press "Ignore" at the beginning to start the copy, because it complains about available space...

Is there some parameter I can set to make Windows see the available space ?
Oh. To be honest, I didn't notice that?!! I have to check. What kind of partition, FAT32 or Ext2?

Fat32, anyway after some Googling I have a theory: seems like Samba reports always the freespace of the "path=" folder, in this case "/media", but we are using a normal user that doesn't have rights for that folder but only for the subfolders...

I'll try to share directly one of the SD folders to see if this works...

EDIT: IT WORKS !! :) The applications doesn't complain anymore !! :D

Anyway the only way I found to effectively been able to see the available space is to create a network drive of the shared folder, assigning to it a drive letter... then all the values about used/free space becomes available :)

Just a follow up, I edted post #7 adding "nt act support = yes", to avoid some error accessing share (I had some  "blabla LSA database is corrupted" error on my windows 7 computer).

Back