New Blog Post - Raise Your Shields And Full Speed Ahead, Scotty.

GhostChaserUK

Still Fresh
Raise your shields and full speed ahead, Scotty.
Thursday, 15 October 2009 01:18 EvilDragon

Well, Michael has already begun to wrap up one of those LCD cables in a nice shield. Those foils are REALLY thin, so there's nothing we need to change with the case. It's an easy fix.

The other thing you might want to know is that we placed our order for the production of those 3895 boards. Yep, mass production of the motherboards has started!

Now all that's left to do is bugger the chinese company to finish the moulds. Yeeha!

GhostChaserUK said:
Now all that's left to do is bugger the chinese company to finish the moulds. Yeeha!

If that's what it takes then so be it. Quite an unusual business arrangement though don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont get into domestic chinese business practices :p
tho poor M having to wrap all those screens with the radiation shields...

EvilDragon said:
Hm, maybe bugger was the wrong wording. I meant trying to get them work faster :)

I think you meant "bug" them, not "bugger" them... although buggering them *would* probably make them work faster too...

Trevsweb said:

Only the cables if I am correct.

EvilDragon said:
Hm, maybe bugger was the wrong wording. I meant trying to get them work faster :)

So what is the status of the final cases?
Do they still need more time ? ....Bud

budbud said:
EvilDragon said:

So what is the status of the final cases?
Do they still need more time ? ....Bud

According to the post in the newsletter thread by Craigix, these are due to be finished today. Either way, not long now, i'm sure. Well done to everyone for getting this far already :)

ED:
"According to him, we don't even need FCC. FCC is only for radio devices (like wireless microphones, etc.), but not stuff like computers or gaming devices like ours here. They're running an FCC certified testing site, so they should know."

Well, maybe he does know, but it doesn't sound true to me. My Nokia N800 as well as the 770 and N810 were thoroughly FCC checked, and if you read the FCC reports you can see that the big part of the test was measurements of the Bluetooth transmitter and the Wi-Fi transmitter. The Pandora is a device of essentially the same type.

Bosbeetle said:
Trevsweb said:

Only the cables if I am correct.

yea you are right. lazy early morning typing missed out "cables" still must be a fiddley time consuming job

Tor said:
Well, maybe he does know, but it doesn't sound true to me. My Nokia N800 as well as the 770 and N810 were thoroughly FCC checked, and if you read the FCC reports you can see that the big part of the test was measurements of the Bluetooth transmitter and the Wi-Fi transmitter. The Pandora is a device of essentially the same type.

Most big companies DO apply for an FCC ID (can prevent importing problems), but this doesn't mean they HAVE to do it.
Most smaller companies don't apply for an FCC, they just do the testing and keep the report.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Tor said:

Most big companies DO apply for an FCC ID (can prevent importing problems), but this doesn't mean they HAVE to do it.
Most smaller companies don't apply for an FCC, they just do the testing and keep the report.

Makes sense to me.

Tor said:
ED:
"According to him, we don't even need FCC. FCC is only for radio devices (like wireless microphones, etc.), but not stuff like computers or gaming devices like ours here. They're running an FCC certified testing site, so they should know."

My Nokia N800 has a FCC ID but noCE logo, only somthing saying "NYCE".
Maybe it's simply "one or the other". Aka if you have CE the FCC is also happy (and inverse)?

Polossatik said:
Tor said:
ED:

Maybe it's simply "one or the other". Aka if you have CE the FCC is also happy (and inverse)?

Nope, but it might be that Nokia makes different branded versions for different countries and therefore only has CE here in Europe :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Polossatik said:
Tor said:
ED:

Nope, but it might be that Nokia makes different branded versions for different countries and therefore only has CE here in Europe :)

doh, forgot indeed that I bought it in the US, not in the EU..

Hey Evil Dragon, I have a question if you don’t mind me asking. When the 3895 boards were ordered did they give any type of time frame or date when all 3895 boards will be completed? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

My Packard Bell wired mouse has a FCC logo on it, but states - "Tested To Comply With FCC Standards" It has the CE mark too. But it also has a similar logo to the FCC, in the form of "VCCI" Which appears to be the Japanese version of FCC.

Will VCCI testing be required too, just in case of export to Japan?

Back