New Blog Post!

alerino

:) :angry: :rolleyes: <_< ;)

Hope must prevail

Thanks Mali, there goes the edits

edit: GO HERE ===> MWeston's post

From the Blog:

Revised Post

"Well, it looks like I have to revise my last blogpost, as Michael did know a lot more that WAS already happening than I did. And a lot of questions arosed which I also want to reply.

So, here is a nice addition to my last blog entry:

1. As said, doing the mod in Turkey was just an OPTION to make things faster, it was NOT set yet (never said that). As it looks, the decision has already been made and the boards are already on their way to UK! (Yay!)

2. Another new thing I didn't know yet is that the board production for the rest of the 4000 has already been resumed. Makes sense, as the WiFi issue has been resolved.

3. The cases are going to be shipped on April 17th to UK if they WON'T be painted or April 20th IF they will be painted. After all, the paint is applied AFTER the production, so we can say either DO IT or DON'T do it - depending on how far things are setup in UK and how well everything does fit in the painted case.

I hope that makes things a lot clearer - there were a lot of things I didn't know yet. I did send an email to the team asking for the latest information yesterday, but it seems due to the timzeones it didn't quite make it in time, so I could only post what I knew we were evaluating.

Sorry for all the inconvenience... now, let's get back to anticipate the Pandora!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha. Too bad for anyone who bought plane tickets out to do assembly in England any time soon.

... or anyone who thought they might get a Pandora this month.

Every time they do this I feel like a chump.

Why ship to Turkey? there are laptop repair shops a few miles from Village Hall, I can guarantee it. Let me send $20 to the high school student who does the SMD soldering of ONE resistor so I can get my Pandora now. Heck, just send it to me with the resistor and I'll solder it myself.

/sigh... I'm gonna go broke waiting for this thing... already bought a dingoo and now a dsi XL to tide me over.... Sorry, but it IS really getting ridiculous. Still waiting but well... sighing constantly... the fun is wearing off quickly.......Just re-read blog.. Fatih gonna be busy, setting up board repair AND flying to China for case supervision.....

Prediction in 2 weeks... GOOD NEWS.. Fatih has finally received the new boards and is overseeing the repair... Cases in china are waiting his arrival before shipping.....

2 weeks later... GOOD NEWS.. boards are due to ship next week, Fatih is flying to China to oversee the yet unfinished cases.....

2 weeks later... GOOD NEWS.. boards shipping from Turkey ... Fatih arrived in China... cases not completed, good thing we got Fatih there to move production along.....

2 weeks later... GOOD NEWS Cases on final build, completed FINAL case enroute to Michael for FINAL approval.. hopefully we'll get the GREEN LIGHT.....

on and on and on and on...

So the black pandoras are painted black? I misunderstood that bit. Michael has to check the painted samples?

I thought it was full speed ahead from the photos that Fatih posted in regards to the plastic cases...

I must of missed something.

rabidpoobear said:
Every time they do this I feel like a chump.
We are chumps, and we are getting jerked around. We're just stuck with it because there is no comparable device, and they know it.

I will never Order anything directly from OpenPandora again. I don't care if they make a device that turns sand into gold, gasoline, and photographs of kittens, I won't order them until I can order them from a third party that has inventory in stock.

(I won't pay a mark-up either, so the Pandora2 better have good wholesale deals for its distributors.)

I've got to disagree with the sentiments on the paint, I owned an original DS for less then a year and after the constant use it saw there were more then a few areas where the paint had rubbed off. Still, good to hear one more problem has been taken care of and that it won't continue to lead to major delays.

Another note, while I feel I should be worried about the further changes in the web browser (I had hoped to get to use Firefox) I honestly doubt any browser they ship it with would be as gimped as the PSP's and likely would do well enough for some portable web access. Still, I am slowly losing interest in the project as certain features become more and more fuzzy when compared to what was originally announced.

Here is something fun to consider :

If they mass produced the cases when Craig said they mass produced the cases, and if they were able to fix the resistor during assembly, like Craig said they were going to do, then they would really and literally be able to ship Pandoras to customers this month.

Korlithiel said:
Another note, while I feel I should be worried about the further changes in the web browser (I had hoped to get to use Firefox) I honestly doubt any browser they ship it with would be as gimped as the PSP's and likely would do well enough for some portable web access. Still, I am slowly losing interest in the project as certain features become more and more fuzzy when compared to what was originally announced.

You can pretty put any of the open source web browsers on there onto the Pandora. Arora just happens to be the leanest of the lot that still supports all the typical modern features (tabs, session management, ad blocking, find-as-you-type, and so on). The software side isn't an issue here, imho (except for things we already knew, like that Adobe hasn't fully put out an ARM flash player for everyone, and that OpenGL ES makes ports of OpenGL stuff a little tougher). It's just the perhaps comical (well, for those not directly involved here) way the Team is being slapped around like a wet fish and their somewhat hazy grip of PR practices.

PLEASE dont ship the boards to Turkey!!!

Its just more chance for things to be delayed again! I can just imagine "Oh some of the boards went missing" or "The company in Turkey bought the wrong resistors" or "There were translation issues" etc etc etc.....

Get everything to the UK where they are supposed to be. I really cant see how shipping 700 boards to Turkey would save time, surely it'd just be more cost and another point where things can be FUBAR'd.

Just my 2 cents.

The longer it takes, the closer I get to asking for a refund. Not because of the delays. Not because I have changed my mind about the product. And not even because I knew this would happen. I forked over the cash because the product is one of a kind currently and I admire the entrepreneurship of the team. But seriously, hard times make it even harder to sit on this kind of cash for so long. How about an update with a truthful eta? Isn't that for the best?

Pay No Attention To That Man Behind The Curtain....

Wizard

Thank for keeping us all informed Evildragon :)

I still can't believe the chinese haven't shipped those damn 1000 cases (which do look really nice with the paint but whatever)
I just don't want to think if they take the same amount of time for doing the next 3000 !!

Yes yes, thank you for the update.

All ED's info and everyones hard work is appreciated but I really feel that sending the 700 boards to Turkey would only throw more spanners in the works.

I didnt mean to come across stroppy earlier....

While I'm sure that prettying things up, and getting everything just perfect will help future sales, It sure would have been nice if the folk over in Open Pandora would listen to what their current, long-suffering customers have been begging them to do for months : Take what ever you've got now, and mail it to us.

If Craigix somehow magically showed up at my apartment this week to hand me a Pandora, I wouldn't care if it was the not-quite shiny, rough around the edges case we saw months ago. I wouldn't even care if the WiFi didn't work. I'd hand him an extra $100 cash, give him my heartfelt thanks, then buy him a drink.

On the other hand, if Craigix had somehow magically showed up at my apartment to give me the news that everything was being delayed again because they decided to refine the cases some more because they weren't quite exactly perfect, it'd have taken effort and restraint not to throw a punch. (Unless he looked tougher than me, then my natural cowardice would have handled that.)

Back