New Blu Problems

rodders

Still Fresh
Hi, I just got my new 166 BLU from gbax.com, and it's great! in theory... but nothing seems to work on my particulat unit - i loaded frodo (0.10) up first to test for the line on the screen, but it didn't get that far, just crashed. i tried frodo 0.9, 0.12, and the same result. littlejohn does somewhat better, it loads without crashing (most of the time) but often randomly reboots in games where others report high compatibility. SMS32 crashes immediatly. you get the idea. flashed to 'multifirmware 2' which boots up fine, but crashes just the same once i get to launching an application. it gives me debug info though - undefined instructions and such. anyone know whats going on???

Seems SMC problem...
What are you using for transfer files, Pc-link, GPManager or SMC card reader/writer?
Hint: Never use GPManager.

PD: Be sure you have fresh bateries.

Hey Rodders,

Mind if I ask when you ordered your GP32? I ordered mine two weeks ago and I know they said it would be about a fortnight for them to arrive. Hopefully I'll get mine at the start of the week. I'll post here if I have any problems like yours.

G189 - yea i ordered about two weeks ago, on the tuesday, and got an email saying they were out of stock and to wait 7 days for delivery. interesting to see if it's the whole batch or just one... hope yours is ok.
I don't think it's the SMC as files transfer just fine, although they could be getting corrupted i guess. i'm using a card reader btw, the only time i used GPManager was for the initial format of the card. I wouldn't be so worried about roms crashing in SMS32/littlejohn etc, but Frodo seems to work for everyone but me, right?
self-test mode reports all is well, fresh batteries - check.

problem is fixed! i swapped out the cheap rechargables i bought for some normal AAs, and not a single crash :) seems a volt-modded BLU needs lots of power.

rodders posted on Dec 12 2004 at 04:05 AM said:
problem is fixed! i swapped out the cheap rechargables i bought for some normal AAs, and not a single crash :) seems a volt-modded BLU needs lots of power.

Get some Rayovac IC3 rechargeables, they charge in 15 minutes and work flawless. The GP32 is the BEST battery tester ever made, it will ferret out dodgy batteries every time :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This has put me in a good mood. I too ordered a 166MHz BLU from GBAX a couple of weeks ago but was getting worried that it might not arrive before Christmas. And now with these reports of faulty BLUs got me even more worried. I'm so glad to hear your BLU works fine and that you've got it now. I will expect mine this week then! :)

those who ordered from GBAx a couple of weeks ago will also be glad to know i have _no_ LCD glitch in frodo, or any other program. looks like you will be getting good ones! just get some good batteries too :)

Yes please be patient, we are trying to get the old blu's to everyone, only they are hard to source and we only have a few left, we are having to test every GP32 to make sure its the old version.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back