New Exitement

Cyclops

:( It's been a while and I know i'm just greedy, I know a new version of doom is ready, I know a new version of scummvm is coming out(my personal fave at the moment), but where is the trailblazing software, I have seen various genesis screenshots, windowsce screenshots palmos screenshots, several linux ports promiced Dos ports promiced the list indeed does go on. Mame aside I think its a different toy than what I want from my gp32(raine those who know know). I won't mention the cps1 emulation :( just in case some of you missed that rumour. The lack of open source on the gp32(the finest open source machine) is increadably limited(apologies to gpsdl). I think we need some fresh thinking and smart working in what is such a small community. Lets have more projects like the sdl one and port games ppl have been working on for sometimes years rather than brave attempts(In no means am I trying to put people off) at whole new game engine(I count several new ones on the gp32). Lets see allegro working on the gp32(allegidly there is one i'm waiting), hell lets port The Ur-Quan Masters cause programming it from scratch would be a bitch. I love homebrew I love darts on my gp32 I do truly, but lets face it if the gp32 can make the gba look like the 80's handheld it is, we should be doing that, doomgp does that scummvm does that, open source is our greatest strength and our lack of it our greatest weakness.

btw please please nobody port sopwith

Why don't you lead the way then and trailblaze something yourself?

PS. If you wanted a toy then you should have got a GBA :D I am very happy with the amount of stuff available for my GP32. The Windows CE port is never coming, and the DOS emulator is probably never going to happen because it's too difficult to code. If you've seen screenshots of things, that usually means people are making them. However, a lot of us have other things in our life other than coding for the benefit of the GP32 community. You know, like work, or going out.

BTW I'm not sure why, but your post just really, really pissed me off. Possibly because a lot of people are working very hard to make GP32 software, and it can't all be made in a day. Seriously, you should get a GBA if you can't wait for stuff.

love the sarky remark, its a common reply on this board someone suggests a I don't know an amiga emulator, and some pratt says do it yourself. those a little more astute may suggest something like winuea(don't know any amiga emulators so I apologise if i'm wrong). more talented ppl may suggest how/if this is possible. I see a lot of hardworking/talented ppl left with half finished games/engines/ports that never see the light of day. for fairly obvious reasons, and its a shame. Its a shame you can't offer a meaningful suggestion of what I could do. what I am doing is finding out about these gost projects, or why there is so much closed source on a machine most pppl bought for the benifits open source has brought it. why would anyone develop anything for such a commity when the benifits of developing for a cross platform community woud develop so many more benifits. I'm greedy I make no bones about that. but please use a braincell to post

I agree with Cyclops on this one. There are far too many people out there that develop something for the GP32 and feel that they should be worshiped for it.

I 'developed' a website and get flamed anytime I post anything about it, but a software developer gets kudos for every single little update.

There's a difference between wanting to be worshipped for something and getting annoyed when other people disregard your hard work. I'm not talking about myself here by the way, I haven't written anything worthy of praise let alone decent comments. It wasn't a sarky comment either, I was being serious - I'd never written anything in C, let alone for a console, when I got my GP32, but have now written a few programs and it's not that hard.

crazeeplaya, you get flamed for posting your website because every time you make a tiny change to it, you post a new thread.

Well I just feel that I think that it would be cool if more homebrew games were made, because I loved everything that came out of 15 day, and I would also like to see an update to tunnel and giro

I'm working on two games, be patient please.

What amused me the most was the way you used let's:

Lets have more projects like the sdl one and port games ppl have been working on for sometimes years rather than brave attempts(In no means am I trying to put people off) at whole new game engine(I count several new ones on the gp32). Lets see allegro working on the gp32(allegidly there is one i'm waiting), hell lets port The Ur-Quan Masters cause programming it from scratch would be a bitch.

You might mean it as "let us, as a community ..." but it really highlights the main issue, that you aren't doing anything at all. As for game engines I don't see any abandoned ones, just a lack of news about them. I am in contact with many developers so I know there's a lot of activity going on.

Oh and here's a lovely post from crazeeplayer:

I 'developed' a website and get flamed anytime I post anything about it, but a software developer gets kudos for every single little update.

It disappoints me that you decided to mention your complaint now and not via PM. Doesn't matter either way really as I don't care. I hoped you had the intelligence to realise that 1) a lot of people care about these little software updates, compared to those who care about your new forum, and 2) you advertised your own forums, saying they were better than ours, using our forums to do it. That's pretty damn arrogant of you.

- Rico

You say you want trailblazing software, then you tell people to stop writing new games and just port instead. What's trailblazing about software thats been around for years?

maybe my tone is wrong, I have not disregarded ppls hard work. As someone who has coded himself on this toy, I know the pleasure it can bring. I have nothing against ppl getting credit/worshiped etc for every little update and indeed wait patiently for them. So I choose an example doom one of the finest ports on the gp32, obviously a lot of work and LOVE have gone into this, he has allegidly ported allegro wonderful, I've worked with allegro, if he had released the souce the clocking *bug* could perhaps have been picked us sooner work could have been completed faster, I/Others might be developing/porting games in allegro. He has made the desision to keep it closed source because he wants to make it perfect. I understand that, but...

Lets take another project lets say resident evil although you could choose others, thats some project thats a major peice of work, Its not like an emulator you get one game it looks an increadable amount of effort, my hat off to the guy, If I say a working resident evil game may be years in coming to a very small gaming commmunity, if finished at all. Am I dismissing his effort no its impressive he must do this out of love. he may contine you it onto other platforms maybe for cash :) but, If the project had been planned for the GP32 with rapid development there are perhaps better ways.

lets look at another project I dread this one, the game libary even gp32 own sdk, I look at source forge and the amount of game engines its impressive there are how many rpg's wip I count 3 from memory on the gp32 and are yealding good results agian lots of work love etc am I knocking someone diminishing there work I hope not. I want my toy to develop on and play games. game engines scream cross platform. If you want a succeful game engine. Then you need a large quantity of ppl wanting to develop for this libary. If a game engine particularly a RPGengine it needs ppl prepared to develop in it the gp32 is perhaps too small a community, one that works with PDA or on my PC as well you multiply the ppl developing for these games. Or maybe I'm saying we should be using one already created.

Lets take an emulator any emulator often open source in there original form, I can't be wrong many of the features of transfering these onto the gp32 have to be similar screen stretch file selection, compression, keybord, godamm flash screen are often similar wouldn't it be best just to put these in a libary everone could use, then these things could be done as quicker, more efficently etc etc with other benifits as well. It seems almost bizarre not to have these things.

Vapourware I mentioned a few before patially completed projects, If its slow/buggy etc etc I can see why but these things are getting abandoned, and that effort is lost. If dos emulation is too hard so what lets find out why? and how if there is a problem is it a major barrier, how do we get around it. Can we help with several groups working on the same thing I cannot belive they are all not hitting the same barrirers.

I could go on, and probably will, if the answers I give are open source, this is not the case, I could give the example of a atari st emulator thats been very successful and an elite port thats abandoned. So I'm not giving that as an answer.

So to those offended my points are open source is a strength of the gp32 though not an answer in itself, communication about projects(Jesus Yahoo sucks) speeds up development. That projects geared to working on multiple platforms attract a larger community. That recreating the wheel on the GP32 as rewarding as it is is not the fastest/useful(triky to word this with so many delicate ppl about). The GP32 is the best toy anybody can have(my girlfriend disagrees but we got to go halfs on a battery recharger)

You might mean it as "let us, as a community ..." but it really highlights the main issue, that you aren't doing anything at all. As for game engines

Thanks you noting the community thing, cause thats the point, I code I do appoligise for only coding one game, and have shared my experince and knowledge I have learned with others. but yeah I do think the answer is community, and I'm not refering to a GP32 communty I'm talking about the same community that wll buy a Gamng PDA, Or a Gaming phone, Or a console turned into a handheld etc etc. the choices are C and C++ it was designed to be portable(I know don't flame me there are issues).

As for game engines I don't see any abandoned ones

*cough* look at what has been abandoned / left unfinished and generally vapourware.

The problem with distributed development is that it doesn't really work for amateur development, especially in a scene like the GP32 one where most people are still learning to code for it. There aren't enough very experienced coders, and people generally don't have enough time to get things done quickly. This is also why a lot of things take a long time to make.

As the 15 Days competition showed, there are talented coders out there, but if small games like the ones in the competition take several weeks to make, think how much longer full games/apps would take.

By the way, I believe the Elite port (Newkind) was stopped because Elite is still in copyright and the original author requested that they don't carry on with it.

Open source has been talked about at length a great deal on this board past and present.

Instead of people complaining that a person/programmer/developer won`t release their source code, Should contact said person etc and find out why.

Afaik, Most of the time it is because other priorities arise and the project gets forgotten, Or the code is in such a state (only readable by them ) that they have not got the time or will to clean it up.

Just my 2p

Trooper

You say you want trailblazing software, then you tell people to stop writing new games and just port instead. What's trailblazing about software thats been around for years?

No no no how ppl spend the time is entirely up to that individual, but we have to think what is the end. If someone is trying to get say a new side scrolling shooter game up and running, it is probaly(not always I know) quicker/easier to take already written and ajust to suit, even better perhaps(not always again I know) to have certain amout of shared code between the two products, enhancing/bugfixing the original in the process. If the end is to build up your programming skills/revoltionse(jesus I can't belive I have to write this) the side scrolling process, perhaps to take advantage of a particular piece of harware, or just out of satifaction of doing it yourself.

As for ported software there is scaryly little of is esp as there is so much quality about.

I dont worship the authors, I just say something nice when something new that im insterested in comes out. Its not just one important person that leads gp32 community, its everyone who developes for it.

The GP32 got's lot of unexplored functions and i'm pretty sure we can do more than we do at the moment. We've got a nice set of emulators aviable some good sdk's and a lot of good (and great) homebrew's. The only thing i miss at the moment (i haven't got my GP32 yet) is a calculator for windup and i think i can make one myself. The gp32 is the hackers handheld and new stuff is coming (almost) every day.
If we look 6 months forward we will probably see a full speed snes emulator a under devlopment genesis emulator and maybe a calculator (;)
We got a very actiefe devloppers comunitie with some great stuff

Instead of people complaining that a person/programmer/developer won`t release their source code, Should contact said person etc and find out why.

complaining is not a word I would use, my post is about successful development of quality products, you read my posts and again if my tone seems harsh, its not. It is a comment on general development of software of the gp32 as a whole. As I say open souce is not an answer in itself, but is part of the answer, and a major attribute to the sucesses of this handheld. Its a comment on my GP32. You yourself can see what "products have been sucessful on the GP32 and why. I just would love to see more success. Out of an unashamed greed.

Theres a whole slew of new handhelds around the corner, I hope that this will mean many more "homebrew" games coming to the GP32.

Back