New Gaming Handheld in the works---Pascal.

Saber

Advanced Member
Caught word from the site Obscure Handhelds of a new handheld that's based off the Raspberry Pie(reminder, the case is in the rough prototype stage). Apparently, it'll play more than a few classic consoles and systems including at least at full speed:

NES
SNES
MAME (Various Arcade)
CPS-1
NEO-GEO
GameBoy
GameBoy Color
GameBoy Advance
GameGear
Turbo/PC – Engine
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
DOS
Apple 2
Atari 2600...

The article with all the details is here: http://obscurehandhelds.com/?p=2812

Edit: Fixed the handheld's name, again, in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thick GameBoy and overpriced much?

10896970_783163731753350_2992268046226562568_n.jpg

Yep. In this day and age, you need to compete with ergonomics and usability, because even your car keys can emulate those systems if you just hack a display into them. That, or you'd have to up the ante to PS2, DC, N64, and so on.

NES SNES MAME (Various Arcade) CPS-1 NEO-GEO GameBoy GameBoy Color GameBoy Advance GameGear Turbo/PC – Engine Sega Master System Sega Genesis DOS Apple 2 Atari 2600...
Franky in this time and age it would be surprising if it did not support these systems :)
I have my doubts that a raspberry Pi will provide for a full speed DOS experience..well depending on the definition of full speed of course. With only the DPAD and six (eight) buttons available you will have problems typing commands fast enough to max out the DOS commandlines "responsiveness".

The "shoulder" buttons look akwardly place, I wonder how accessible they are..

Looks quite like an old gameboy colour. Might be cool for some but I'll only need a pyra for all my handheld needs. There's not enough time in the day for all these systems imo.

I was just at their site the other day (checking for a restock of something, only to find it discontinued) and didn't see this.  I just checked again thinking maybe I overlooked it because I am usually only there for stuff related to Nintendo handhelds.  Still nothing.  I will check their blog in a few.

Rose Colored Gaming has discussed many projects that were never intended to be made in quantities or for customers.  There have also talked about things they were going to be selling that they never did, or what they did release was not what was described.  

I wasn't trying to bash them, but it is possible that this is not intended for customers or large scale sales.  I don't think they move a lot of units of anything they sell.  This is a very small business, and I really don't see this being worth their time and effort when others already involved with the Raspberry Pi scene probably have the contacts and hardware needed and will blow them out of the water.  Probably a handful of sales each from retrogaming and chipmusic communities.

I am remembering mention of something like this somewhere I regularly lurk.  It may have been this.  If so, the reason I forgot is that I go there for stuff related to real old hardware, not emus and such.

hope they somehow stuff shoulder buttons into the back of it, or else snes emulation would be about worthless

ok, so it turns out they put out most of their information through Facebook, which is how I missed it.  Looking at pictures there confirmed that they are still doing small numbers of essentially handmade/modified stuff.  I don't know if the Pascali will be different.  

I noticed that the buttons appear to be the silicone buttons from kitsch-bent for the DMG Game Boy.  I highly recommend his (kitsch/Matt, the man behind kitsch-bent) products for any modding you want to do.  He ships quickly and has great customer service skills, and usually responds to questions very quickly.  I have a lot of his stuff and want to pick up some more (i still haven't ordered any of the above mentioned silicone buttons and I think they will work well for a program I use that I have minor input issues with due to the stiffness of plastic dpads).  I also recommend ASM Retro.  I prefer the more traditional shape of the ASM cases, although I also have and use the kitsch ones.

That looks really cool, I hope it's not vaporware. I like my Pandora and the Pyra will no doubt be even better, but I mostly use it to play ports and homebrew games, like I did with my old Gamepark handhelds. I like Pascal's form factor, plus it means that all games will have to use the game buttons (I have a pet peeve for Pandora ports that map the DPAD or shoulder buttons, but use the space bar for jumping or firing). I look forward to see what homebrew scene will build around this.

It's too bad all the other pure Linux emulator handhelds went out of style because there many devices that could already do this for cheaper. If GCW-Zero was still on sale anywhere it'd be a better pick at a much lower price, unless you really love the Gameboy aesthetic.

Then again, it might have an edge if it bothered to use RPi 2. No idea why it wouldn't either, it should be straightforward to upgrade it.

I just want to clear up some confusion about something: Pascal is the name of many things, but not this handheld.  This is called the Pascali.

I thought the GCW Zero was still being sold.  It may be out of production, I don't know, but there are probably more units still on the market than there will be Pascalis for a while.  If RCG does this how they have done things in the past the first run will probably be a few hundred at the most, but probably a lot less than that.  They may have partnered with someone, so it is entirely possible they will have a lot ready to go when everything is said and done, and they may get them into the Raspberry Pi sales channels, but this would be very different from what I have seen them do.

Everyone keeps talking about the high price, so maybe I should read some of the articles.

I looked at every outlet listed on GCW-Zero's web site and they were all out of stock. If it's not in stock anywhere that doesn't count as being sold, even if they intend to do so again one day.

Well, I'm trying to get more GCWs since November, but sadly, Justin handles that very similar to the Kickstarter: Promises, excuses, nothing happened.

Apparently, my units have been shipped a few times already, but they seem to vanish somewhere all the time...

For those of you still interested in buying a GCW:

Here's what I expect:

1: Completely working Pyra Prototype with case and everything

1.1: GCWs will be shipped

2: Raspberry and Retrode combination will be produced

2.1: GCWs will be shipped

3: Pandora metal case finally arrives

3.1: GCWs will be  shipped

4: Something we don't even know that we'll produce it

4.1: GCWs will be shipped

5: .... (Long time nothing)

6: GCW will be shipped FOR REAL this time