New Gp2x

Toole

Still Fresh
Well, I've had my GP2x for a total of about 3 hours now. I was playing on the vectar demo that was included when the screen went grey, sound stopped and the console went unresponsive. I rebooted, only to find the image on the screen at boot is corrupted and the boot stalls (normally at the gp2x logo, but sometimes the green logo screen). It gradually distorts more and more until it's just a white screen with static and flashes of blocks of colour with no discernable image at all. It's a brand new unit! :(

Does it need replacing?

EDIT: It's a 275mhz unit from www.gp2x.co.uk, just in case it matters!

D'oh!

Serves me right for being a numpty I suppose :p

I just would have assumed the battery light would have flashed or something of that order. Sorry for bothering everyone :p

shinneri posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
Use rechargeable batteries. Standard Alkaline batteries literally last minutes.

Yeah, get 2500mAh or higher. Search around on these forums, there are some recommended manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use two pairs of 2500mAh Sanyo, and I am extremely content with the battery life I get out of them. Along with a 2-hour charger, they only cost ~$20, and paid for themselves over and over again.

- Alex

Toole posted on Dec 12 2006 at 10:30 AM said:
Well, I've had my GP2x for a total of about 3 hours now. I was playing on the vectar demo that was included when the screen went grey, sound stopped and the console went unresponsive. I rebooted, only to find the image on the screen at boot is corrupted and the boot stalls (normally at the gp2x logo, but sometimes the green logo screen). It gradually distorts more and more until it's just a white screen with static and flashes of blocks of colour with no discernable image at all. It's a brand new unit! :(

Does it need replacing?

Your brain needs a replacement, not your gp2x...what a n00b

no your brain needs replacement now stfu n00b (seriously, people like you are the reason the internet is anoying)

Goemon4 posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:33 PM said:
no your brain needs replacement now stfu n00b (seriously, people like you are the reason the internet is anoying)

yea what he said, i pretty much did the same with my gp32 a long, long time ago... when you think a brand new peice of kit you just bought has broke, logic goes out of the window,

so suppafly, be a bit nicer.

suppafly posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:10 PM said:
Toole posted on Dec 12 2006 at 10:30 AM said:

Does it need replacing?

Your brain needs a replacement, not your gp2x...what a n00b

Well, it's nice to see common courtesy is in ample supply when you're around. Really, was that comment necessary at all? I don't see that it accomplished anything other than to bloat your over inflated 'leet' ego. If that was your aim, well done mate! Given that apparently posting comments like that takes up your spare time, it's likely to be the biggest accomplishment you'll make in a good while ;)

As to everyone else, thanks for the help! It was a bit of a panic moment, I'm off on holiday in a couple of days so I wouldn't be able to get it replaced for ages otherwise.... Thanks for the other advice too, I've ordered 4 ansmann 2600Ma Batteries and a charger, so that should help!

Don't mind him, he's just an asshole. There's plenty of them on this forum. :) I wouldn't expect your average consumer to know the batteries are dead because generally a console shuts itself off when its batteries' voltage are too low to operate the machine to prevent the weird screen flashing and other effects you just described. Also the Low battery light doesn't always come on when the batteries die, especially at boot, since it's a firmware function and not a hardware one.

When I got my machine, all videos displayed corrupted but everything else works fine. Turns out the battery voltage was just too low to run the video decoder, yet the system's stability was not impacted. Later it started crashing at random but if I turned it on again, it ran for another 20 minutes or so before crashing again. This was firmware 1.2.something so it didn't have support for the Low Battery LED yet. So it didn't act AT ALL like a battery problem.

There should really be some sort of documentation to explain this included with the '2x.

I think GP2X should act like a decent mobile device and worn its user about low battery and nicely shuts down if the battery drain.

It's doable. A kernel module to warn the user, or display a "Battery failure" message and blank out the screen/shut off the audio/reject input is the best route, since there isn't a hardware revision on the horizon.

Epicenter posted on Dec 13 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
It's doable. A kernel module to warn the user, or display a "Battery failure" message and blank out the screen/shut off the audio/reject input is the best route, since there isn't a hardware revision on the horizon.

That would be a great feature. TBH I'm still getting to grips with this, as linux is still pretty new to me, as is the hardware. I've been running red hat on a partition on my PC for a week or two now, and I'm starting to really like it! I'll be a dab hand bfore the year is out ;) :p

Back